The foobar2000 help thread. Got problems or questions? Ask here!
Jul 20, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #752 of 787
Thanks, sajunky and gimmeheadroom, for your answers. I´ll check Chrome for bitperfect. I understood you heard difference enabling bitperfect , is that true ? Anyway, I thaught maybe there´s some kind of equalization in Dezeer, in browser mode, that makes it sound a little "holow", at least for me. Do you think is it possible ?

I don't think Chrome will do bitperfect, but it should at least use exclusive mode and sound better.

I don't necessarily hear an improvement using bitperfect, it is just that I never listen to anything that isn't bitperfect. I like to have things the way they should be technically.

There are tone controls in the Deezer desktop app and probably in the browser version also, you should check all your settings and see if you can turn them off. But, the limitation will be in Windows Audio Mixer, it will resample everything to the settings you pick (or defaults) in Sound Control Panel. This often does bad things, which is why @sajunky said it would be good to look into whether Chrome can run exclusive mode.

Jul 20, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #753 of 787
There is a command-line flag for Chrome to enable exclusive mode. In some versions of a browser it doesn't do anything, must verify. I don't use Chrome anymore, can't confirm the current version.

Create a desktop shortcut for Chrome, then edit a shortcut command line field, adding to the end a space character and the following:

--enable-exclusive-audio

Veryfication: play music in Chrome (starting Chrome from the shortcut you created), then from the other application try to play something using the same sound device. If you get error, then it works, as Chrome took ownership of the device. A DAC should display the same sample rate as the Web source.

Aug 16, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #754 of 787
is my DAC running in NOS mode? (using wasapi and connecting to a DAC via USB)

When using non-WASAPI output/playback device (example: default primary sound driver), the DAC shows PCM 384Khz on its display. When using WASAPI, it shows the sampling rate of the music file (usually Redbook specs as I have a lot of them)

Thanks

Aug 16, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #755 of 787
is my DAC running in NOS mode? (using wasapi and connecting to a DAC via USB)
NOS mode is subject to the internal settings in your DAC, it doesn't depend on interface or settings on the PC. It means no oversampling and no sound processing (like digital filtering). Depends on your DAC, this term can be missused, it can refer to the specific filtering settings, not every DAC marketed as NOS comply strictly to this definition. In all cases, a DAC display a current sampling rate of the incoming data stream irrespectively to the internal mode of operation.

As I read on, your question is related to PC and bit-perfect transfers:
When using non-WASAPI output/playback device (example: default primary sound driver), the DAC shows PCM 384Khz on its display. When using WASAPI, it shows the sampling rate of the music file (usually Redbook specs as I have a lot of them)
In the first case PC mixer is set up to upsample everything to 384kHz. This settings is found in the Sound Control Panel. It is not bit-perfect.

In the second case it may be bit-perfect, or not, depends on the output you select in the Foobar. Post screenshot of the output devices in Foobar, I will be able to tell you which output produce bit-perfect transfer. WASAPI can be shared and exclusive. Shared is default in Foobar.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #756 of 787
In the second case it may be bit-perfect, or not, depends on the output you select in the Foobar. Post screenshot of the output devices in Foobar, I will be able to tell you which output produce bit-perfect transfer. WASAPI can be shared and exclusive. Shared is default in Foobar.

I don't have the laptop with me but it's running on exclusive mode (push I believe)

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #757 of 787
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #758 of 787
Guys, I got DSD 512 to work with foobar and my gear using DSD transcoder but I didn't use it that much. Lately I used it a bit more and it often causes foobar2000 to fail with some kind of message about the process ending. I thought it was because I was running on a small box without enough RAM so I installed it on a more powerful system with more memory and same thing. It is just not reliable for me.

Anybody have yeah or nay experience using DSD transcoder all the time?

Aug 16, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #759 of 787
I don't have the laptop with me but it's running on exclusive mode (push I believe)
Try event mode, if your DAC support it. It helps OS task management.

As you talk about push mode, it is indicative that you don't use the latest version of Foobar or the WASAPI add-on is installed. In the latest version there is no need to install WASAPI component, as WASAPI access is a default. Direct Sound access (DS) is dropped and a specific 'push' mode is depreciated. It can be enabled in the Options->Advanced section, but it doesn't show as a separate output device anymore. These changes makes output section much cleaner.

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #760 of 787
@gimmeheadroom. If I remember correctly you have setup with asioproxy. It is sensitive to the installed version of SACD component. A compatible version is very old, there are many improvements. I suggest uninstall proxy in Control Panel and install a new version, now called DSDTranscoder, there is more chance to work with new software (SACD component and Foobar 1.6). It is covered in "Foobar for Dummies" Part 2, Mode 2.

Aug 17, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #761 of 787
@gimmeheadroom. If I remember correctly you have setup with asioproxy. It is sensitive to the installed version of SACD component. A compatible version is very old, there are many improvements. I suggest uninstall proxy in Control Panel and install a new version, now called DSDTranscoder, there is more chance to work with new software (SACD component and Foobar 1.6). It is covered in "Foobar for Dummies" Part 2, Mode 2.

Thank you. I didn't try asioproxy, in fact it was you who alerted me to DSD transcoder and that's how I got the high rate DSD to work. But it doesn't work consistently.

I'll get back to this at some point but it's mostly academic now for several reasons in my setup.

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #763 of 787
Hello everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible, in Foobar, to make all the songs in a playlist sound the same, that is, at the same volume, being songs from different albums...? Thanks for your response.
I don't use it but there is a volume normalization feature. I'm not sure if it needs metadata from each song being played though. Look at replay gain in the settings.

1660837743196.png

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #764 of 787
Hello everyone. Does anyone know if it is possible, in Foobar, to make all the songs in a playlist sound the same, that is, at the same volume, being songs from different albums...? Thanks for your response.
You can scan your tracks for replaygain data, with some app of sort or right into foobar if you want(if it's one playlist, click on one song then CTLR+A to select everything in that playlist, then right click->ReplayGain->Scan per-file track gain.

For a big library it can take a lot of time and make your computer real hot depending on the resampling settings you have for the scanner(File->Preferences->Tools->ReplayGain Scanner). Basically, the more you oversample a file before scanning, the less you will have intersample clipping. So checking the True peak scan and setting a big oversampling value is technically very good except that it will seriously push your CPU(it was too much for my old PC) and take more time. I'd say that if your house is hot, it might be a really bad idea to use 8X oversampling.

As a summer alternative you could instead uncheck True peak scan and just set the preamp to something like -3 or -4dB in the 'preamp' with 'RG info'(you can see that in the screenshot of @gimmeheadroom). The scan will go much faster and you'll have 3 or 4dB of headroom to avoid all but the most extreme intersample clips.

Anyway once that's done, or if your tracks already have per track replaygain info, to tell foobar to use those metadata you again look at the screenshot above and at the top under ReplayGain in 'Source mode' you select 'track' . Next song should be good.

Under is the 'Processing' option that may or may not be useful to you depending on how you scanned the files and if you have some preamp attenuation or not. The standard option is 'apply gain and prevent clipping according to peak'. That last option has pros and cons:
1/ If the scan wasn't using oversampling, the peak measured will not be the true(highest) peak in the signal, so it might not totally avoid clipping.
2/ If some track has positive gain after using the scanner, such a track might have a conflict between the clipping value and the "let's make it sound as loud as the rest" value. Meaning that preventing clipping will make such tracks a good deal quieter than the rest. It's a real issue with very dynamic tracks like some classical music, if you're like me and create degenerate playlists with Mozart, 2PAC, iron maiden and some anime opening and shuffle it all, it's near impossible to have everything sound the same and not clip at the same time with just automated processes.

But for the general concept, what I explained should do the job.

Aug 18, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #765 of 787
I want to add to the above posts that you don't need to use oversampling option during scan if your DAC is not oversampling. For all others adjust oversampling rate to the value you normally play music.

Foobar has hell of options, I didn't investigate all, as I don't use RG, but it is the only player that can use RG fully. Follow a link in the screenshot above, it brings to the Hydrogen audio web site, on the bottom there is a link dedicated to Foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back