The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #5,191 of 6,678
My Just Ear's are far and above the most comfortable CIEMs I've ever had. The measuring process is extremely labor intensive and it does feel that Sony has given a lot of thought about the actual wearing process of CIEMs, down to the cable material, placement of the cable exit, materials for the canal, etc.

Before I had the MH2 Fitear would have been my choice for the most comfortable CIEM, now if JE is a 10/10, Fitear is about an 8.5, qdc an 8, and everyone else I've used (Westone, UE, JH, VE, UM) doesn't even get a 7, US brands are more of a 4 or 5.
Ah, I guess it’s because JE’sa blend of hard acrylic with the flexible stem.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #5,192 of 6,678
The Titan has been my end game now since I got it 1-2 yrs back? Can’t remember when now. Since having it, I have to say I’ve hardly paid attention to other IEMs. I still listen to others at the show but non has really grabbed me as a “must have”. I’ve been very content with my Titan CIEM.

I can understand that now that I have had my universal titan for just days. After settling on the cable and tips I haven't touched any of my other iems at all. In the long run I'll go back to my 335DWSR sometimes depending on mood.

I never consider ANY customs to be better than its corresponding universal counterparts - it's just a matter of fit and signature, the sound is likely to be slightly different in most cases but one cannot conclusively say CM is better than universal, or vice versa. For the 335 (non-SR) I actually very much prefer the sound of the universal demoes to the CM. I may be one of the rare people who actually prefers universals for various reasons (resale value, capability to lure others into the hobby, room for fine-tuning with tip rolling, fit is eternal etc)

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #5,193 of 6,678
Ah, I guess it’s because JE’sa blend of hard acrylic with the flexible stem.

That's part of the difference - Westone does the same thing and their fit still leaves a lot to be desired. Sony's material is quite different though, a lot more flexible at room temperature whereas Westone's soft canals only soften with heat.

Sony requires that you go to a sound engineer trained by Sony for the impressions. They made me sign a form about not disclosing what specifically happens in the room, but sufficient to say it's a multi-hour process with a lot of interesting steps. The impressions are probably much more accurate than the ones Fitear get. I mean, the Just Ear's are fairly uninspiring CIEMs when it comes to sound unless you get to go MH1 where you participate in the actual tuning. But the fit is something they've really made a science out of.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #5,194 of 6,678
That's part of the difference - Westone does the same thing and their fit still leaves a lot to be desired. Sony's material is quite different though, a lot more flexible at room temperature whereas Westone's soft canals only soften with heat.

Sony requires that you go to a sound engineer trained by Sony for the impressions. They made me sign a form about not disclosing what specifically happens in the room, but sufficient to say it's a multi-hour process with a lot of interesting steps. The impressions are probably also much more accurate than the ones Fitear get.

Whoa. that sounds like a cool process. Is the process of buying the Just Ear CIEMs as hard as the FitEars as a fellow US head-fier?

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #5,195 of 6,678
Whoa. that sounds like a cool process. Is the process of buying the Just Ear CIEMs as hard as the FitEars as a fellow US head-fier?

Well, it's even harder. You might be able to find a dealer who's willing to do a mail-in impression order from Fitear. Sony has physical facilities in HK, South Korea and Shanghai for taking the impressions. I can tell you that they do more than just physical impressions, so it's impossible to get that information to them unless you do it in person.

I live in Hong Kong for part of the year, so a lot of this is much easier for me.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #5,196 of 6,678
That's good to know. So a similar workflow like ordering FitEar from JabenHK.
On that note, where are people getting the FitEar Titan universals? I saw it posted on the Jaben FB page. Do they now carry it?

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #5,197 of 6,678
That's good to know. So a similar workflow like ordering FitEar from JabenHK.
On that note, where are people getting the FitEar Titan universals? I saw it posted on the Jaben FB page. Do they now carry it?

They got a (very) limited batch that's quickly selling. I got an offer for one since Derek knows that I want a custom Titan. I turned it down because I still want to go custom on those but it's a rare chance to nab one without an extensive wait period.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #5,198 of 6,678
They got a (very) limited batch that's quickly selling. I got an offer for one since Derek knows that I want a custom Titan. I turned it down because I still want to go custom on those but it's a rare chance to nab one without an extensive wait period.

Can you share how much Jaben is selling them? I would still want to go full custom Titan, but it would be a good reference for what the custom might cost when it comes to HK.

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #5,199 of 6,678
Can you share how much Jaben is selling them? I would still want to go full custom Titan, but it would be a good reference for what the custom might cost when it comes to HK.

That you have to ask Derek himself. What he told me was basically "if you want it then let's talk about the price" which I interpreted as "pretty expensive":)

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #5,200 of 6,678
That you have to ask Derek himself. What he told me was basically "if you want it then let's talk about the price" which I interpreted as "pretty expensive":)

Gotcha. I'll wait then. I'll try and see if any of the dealers are willing to sell me the custom when I go to Japan this Mar. If not, at least I'll be able to get some FitEar ear impressions and ship that off to Derek when the Titan is available.

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #5,201 of 6,678
My Just Ear's are far and above the most comfortable CIEMs I've ever had. The measuring process is extremely labor intensive and it does feel that Sony has given a lot of thought about the actual wearing process of CIEMs, down to the cable material, placement of the cable exit, materials for the canal, etc.

Before I had the MH2 Fitear would have been my choice for the most comfortable CIEM, now if JE is a 10/10, Fitear is about an 8.5, qdc an 8, and everyone else I've used (Westone, UE, JH, VE, UM) doesn't even get a 7, US brands are more of a 4 or 5.

Me being the first owner of fitear MH334 overseas when I was living in UK back in 2011, I was quite sure that fitear are the most comfort ciem maker, not until I finish ordering my justear mh1 in Aoyama in spring 2016 , fitear is easier to ware but justear is more comfortable when using it long hours.

Feb 16, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #5,202 of 6,678
Btw for owners of fitear 435 it’s seems like there’s was a program for existing owner to change the high driver to a new one which is free. Mr.Suyama says it will change the sound a bit.

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #5,204 of 6,678
How do I go about getting that done?
Ask your local fitear retailer to send the request to fitear japan, only from where you purchase can help you to do the upgrade as I know.

Feb 20, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #5,205 of 6,678
Today I was in e-earphone with another headfier and I gave a little comparison of my Titans vs EST vs Air 2. To my ears they all sound very similar - one would easily tell that they have the FitEar sound. In fact even within the FitEar sound, I think FitEar has found the formula that works. The Titans, EST, and Air 2 sound different from the other earlier MH334/335DWs, Air, Parterre, Monet, etc.

Whilst all 3 seem to have a similar sound, I found the Titan to be a somewhat more holographic than the Air 2 and the Air 2 to have a slightly smaller soundstage. The Air 2 is still very excellent value for being $1300 less than the Titans. Similarly with the EST, there is a slightly less bass and well controlled bass and has the holographic characteristics of the Titans however with the Air 2 soundstage. If folks like a better controlled bass than the Titans/Air 2 hybrid design, then the EST would win some hearts.

I don't have the spending capacity that I used to but if I did, despite owning a Titan, I'd probably still put the EST on the wishlist as more a "bang around" gym earphone since the Titan's are somewhat precious.
Is there anything that the EST does better than the Titan that would make you want to get an EST even as a Titan owner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back