The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #4,276 of 6,678
My MH335DW-SR Review. I'll probably put this up in the review section one of these days with photos, etc.

The MH335DW-SR originally came in the form of MH335DW back in March '13. Last year around April I had my MH335DW upgraded to the Studio Reference - an offering that was open to a selected few in Japan which later opened up to the rest of Japan in August. Let's call this the MH335DW-SR for now. The idea with the SR version is a titanium tube added and some swapping of the resistors to tweak the crossovers a little.

I do want to add a little about my feelings of the MH335DW-SR before diving into the SQ. It has taken me a long time to write about the SR because with the MH335DW/SR series, I felt what I finally received in its CIEM form didn't really sound like the universal demos at the shows - which won my heart in the first place and led me to investing the CIEM version. The same is true for the K10's but that's a different story. Back to the FitEars, this was true to me for both the MH335DW and it's SR versions. However I've not been able to compare side-by-side my final CIEM to the universal demos, I only had to go by memory. Despite FitEar being local, it's not easy to get hold of Suyama-san to compare the CIEM to the universal demos. I know many will say that's because the universal demos don't fit as well as the CIEM equivalents - in my case at least based on my "gut" I preferred the universal demos over the final CIEM - but without being able to compare side-by-side, it was hard t confirm this feeling.

Now that's out of the way, let's get more into the MH335DW-SR. Below is based on my MH335DW-SR off the RWAK240 with fw 1.15, and with the  iPhone (Onkyo Player) -> Aurender Flow, with the Beat Audio Prima Donna single ended.

The most noticable to the signature is the "DW" portion which stands for "Double Woofer". There's copious amount of quality sub bass in this FitEar model, more so than the universal demos that I tried. The rendering of the sub bass is phenomenal with smooth layering. Yet despite the quanity of sub bass, it doesn't bleed into the other frequencies. The bass prominence does extend up to the mid bass but then tends to pull back a little. Although the vocals aren't recessed, they do feel a less "in your face". As such at least for me, it feels more like a mid row presentation. This gives a sense of space an a little room for the vocals to "breath" in the virtual soundstage presented.

In the treble range, I feel the MH335DW-SR creeps back slowly which and fills in nicely without (again) being "in your face". The upper trebles can run hot if the tracks are poorly mastered. What is surprising in the months of listening to the MH335DW-SR is that I was initially unsatisfied with the trebles of my CIEM compared to the universal demo thinking that the universal demo SRs had greater treble extension. But now almost 12 months later I find some of my 80's pop tracks sibilant. It's probably more brain burn-in than earphone burn in - as I've not had a chance to listen to the SR universal demo again, I can't compare my fully bedded in MH335DW-SR to it.

The MH335DW-SR has great resolution detail compared to most earphones but having said  that, I do feel it's not the most detailed earphone I've owned. However this hasn't bothered me much as this earphone is already in the upper percentile of the high end earphones.

Overall though, I'd still rate the MH335DW-SR as one of my preferred earphones for all genre. It's not a "wow" review, nor would I say the MH335W-SR can replace my TG!334 or K10's. However it is my main general purpose genre agnostic earphone for musical enjoyment.

[Aside: I would probably put my K10's and TG!334 in the category of vocal genre....rock for one and jazz for the latter]

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #4,277 of 6,678
Thanks, very interesting insight.

May I ask what is it that keeps you from selling the TG334 except for the 'less in-your-face vocals' of the 335DWSR?

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:14 AM Post #4,278 of 6,678
Anak, thanks for the mini-review. I hear the SR turns the MH335DW into a whole different IEM altogether, do you concur? I like most Fitears IEMs, for its brand philosophy, build quality and tuning, and have the MH335DW and the Private 333. I am thinking about getting another 335 to convert to SR, if and when that option becomes available outside of Japan. Having had an extended experience with the 335SR, if you were me (I also own the K10, Dita Truth and a couple of FADs), would you advise for or against it?

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #4,281 of 6,678
I would say, based on extensive experience with the universal 335dw and layla. The layla is not good. Get the 335 dw, its best if you can demo it side by side.

A quick story on the 335's, when the 335 universals were available for demo at my dealer 3 months ago. My local jaben, went from selling 10 jh customs a month and a fitear 335 every now and then, to 10 335 customs a month and 1-2 jh's.

When the roxxanes first came out, the pre order was completely sold out, now, not even one of the layla or angies have been sold.

They are either that good, or its just a japan/ southeast asia thing. Then again, the rest of the world dont have dealers for fitears =) 

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #4,282 of 6,678
I would say, based on extensive experience with the universal 335dw and layla. The layla is not good. Get the 335 dw, its best if you can demo it side by side.

A quick story on the 335's, when the 335 universals were available for demo at my dealer 3 months ago. My local jaben, went from selling 10 jh customs a month and a fitear 335 every now and then, to 10 335 customs a month and 1-2 jh's.

When the roxxanes first came out, the pre order was completely sold out, now, not even one of the layla or angies have been sold.

They are either that good, or its just a japan/ southeast asia thing. Then again, the rest of the world dont have dealers for fitears =) 
Could you develop on the Layla being not good?

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #4,283 of 6,678
Could you develop on the Layla being not good?

I think it can be interpreted as 335 sound signature is enjoyable for more people than the JH. I don't think the Layla is bad but just like the HD800, some people don't pick it to enjoy the music. I remember somewhere in the new Canjam thread, a HeadFier give his opinion regarding the Layla as great soundstage but lacking in musicality compared to his K10. 

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #4,285 of 6,678
Having demoed layla and 335dw, personally, I'd go for fitear. However those who prefer less bass should opt for mh334 or 435. Layla is a technical competent earearphone. Its like x ray a song.all the tiny details. However I reckon most of us who are music consumer, not producer, will prefer 'coloured' sound signature.

It's like I prefer to look at a beautiful lady as a whole instead of looking at all the tiny parts like pores, skin and wrinkles, eye lashes, etc.

Mar 31, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #4,287 of 6,678
Having demoed layla and 335dw, personally, I'd go for fitear. However those who prefer less bass should opt for mh334 or 435. Layla is a technical competent earearphone. Its like x ray a song.all the tiny details. However I reckon most of us who are music consumer, not producer, will prefer 'coloured' sound signature.

It's like I prefer to look at a beautiful lady as a whole instead of looking at all the tiny parts like pores, skin and wrinkles, eye lashes, etc.

The great thing about Fitear is their whole lineup offer something different for everyone. The overall lack of true "progression" structure that many others seems to follow works very well for the. Nearly all of their products can be called a flagship of their own speciality.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #4,288 of 6,678

435 is a really special one. Too bad its no longer available

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #4,290 of 6,678
  Did you guys see the FitEar website?

AIR​
 ​

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back