The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #526 of 6,700
Quote:

Dark and closed in, very heavy sounding, not much sparkle...very POLITE

It is still relatively chilly in Hong Kong so I have the cable underneath a jersey and that makes it fine for me at the moment.....it is actually a pretty thick solid core cable....

All Most my amps (and DAPs) are sub 1 ohm impedance. Maybe that's why I find them too warm. Having said that, with some of the genre I listen to, that warmth works well. OTOH, with other genre I miss the sparkle. Kicking myself for not picking up the Tera a few weeks back then.

Only my Go-DAP X is 10 ohm impedance. Maybe that's why I prefer the MH335DW off it - but it has other RF/static/grounding issues.

Apr 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #527 of 6,700
Quote:

All my amps (and DAPs) are sub 1 ohm impedance. Maybe that's why I find them too warm. Having said that, with some of the genre I listen to, that warmth works well. OTOH, with other genre I miss the sparkle. Kicking myself for not picking up the Tera a few weeks back then.

I am referring to the AK100 and not the Tera as I feel the synergy between the 335 and AK100 is truly stunning.....

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #528 of 6,700
With the UHA-6S, I am not hearing the MH335DW as overly warm or heavy... it sounds about right to me in terms of mid / low balance and overall weight. It is however dark to my ears without the sparkle of certain "hi-fi" devices. I wouldn't describe the sound as veiled, but polite is a very apt descriptor for what I am hearing. It's plenty detailed, but the detail is not emphasized. Some monitors throw the detail at you, whereas on the MH335DW I feel as though I have to actively look for it (and I do find it).

Thus it requires my attention; as soon as I focus on something else momentarily, I realize the track is already over. It's extremely unobtrusive rather than actively engaging. This also makes for a rather unsuitable low volume / low level monitor in my opinion. I find I have to crank up the volume more than some of my other in-ears (I normally listen at lower volumes).

Another thing I have noticed is the presentation: it's definitely outside the head, but it's about as intimate as you can get without going back in LOL. It's almost like having the artist sitting in your lap and whispering in your ear.

This is the sort of monitor that does not "wow" me upon first listen. It takes time for me to really start to appreciate the level of refinement and polish it has. In this respect, I actually find it's similar to the SR-007. I've commented before that the TO GO! 334 was rather like the SR-007; while that is still true to an extent, I feel like the MH335DW is all the more like it. Music is extremely effortless, very natural, and just "there" on the MH335DW.

Compared to the TO GO! 334 I feel it's more refined overall, with better control across the spectrum and a smoother presentation.

I'll be trying it out with some different cables and the AK100 soon hopefully.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #529 of 6,700
Quote:

I am referring to the AK100 and not the Tera as I feel the synergy between the 335 and AK100 is truly stunning.....

Ah yes, apologies. I knew what you meant but I swapped DAPs on ya in the topic 'cos of associating the Tera's HP impedance out to the AK100's.

Seems you're alluding that they're not similar, care to share your thoughts of the Tera+335 w.r.t. the AK100+335?

Cheers!

With the UHA-6S, I am not hearing the MH335DW as overly warm or heavy... it sounds about right to me in terms of mid / low balance and overall weight. It is however dark to my ears without the sparkle of certain "hi-fi" devices. I wouldn't describe the sound as veiled, but polite is a very apt descriptor for what I am hearing. It's plenty detailed, but the detail is not emphasized. Some monitors throw the detail at you, whereas on the MH335DW I feel as though I have to actively look for it (and I do find it).

Thus it requires my attention; as soon as I focus on something else momentarily, I realize the track is already over. It's extremely unobtrusive rather than actively engaging. This also makes for a rather unsuitable low volume / low level monitor in my opinion. I find I have to crank up the volume more than some of my other in-ears (I normally listen at lower volumes).

Another thing I have noticed is the presentation: it's definitely outside the head, but it's about as intimate as you can get without going back in LOL. It's almost like having the artist sitting in your lap and whispering in your ear.

This is the sort of monitor that does not "wow" me upon first listen. It takes time for me to really start to appreciate the level of refinement and polish it has. In this respect, I actually find it's similar to the SR-007. I've commented before that the TO GO! 334 was rather like the SR-007; while that is still true to an extent, I feel like the MH335DW is all the more like it. Music is extremely effortless, very natural, and just "there" on the MH335DW.

Compared to the TO GO! 334 I feel it's more refined overall, with better control across the spectrum and a smoother presentation.

I'll be trying it out with some different cables and the AK100 soon hopefully.

I agree with you that it doesn't sound veil, and that there's detail without being emphasised (which is how I find the TG!334 too actually). In fact everything you've described of what you hear, I agree as I hear and interpret it the same way. I was talking to VisceriousZERO the same thing when he was in Tokyo back in Feb.

Therefore with respect to the warmth & heaviness, I think that may be entirely due to the difference in our personal preferences. However, MF, are you using the 001 or 000 cable with the UHA-6S?

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #530 of 6,700
Quote:

Ah yes, apologies. I knew what you meant but I swapped DAPs on ya in the topic 'cos of associating the Tera's HP impedance out to the AK100's.

Seems you're alluding that they're not similar, care to share your thoughts of the Tera+335 w.r.t. the AK100+335?

Cheers!

I will A/B in the weekend and let you know
size]

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #531 of 6,700
All Most my amps (and DAPs) are sub 1 ohm impedance. Maybe that's why I find them too warm. Having said that, with some of the genre I listen to, that warmth works well. OTOH, with other genre I miss the sparkle. Kicking myself for not picking up the Tera a few weeks back then.

Only my Go-DAP X is 10 ohm impedance. Maybe that's why I prefer the MH335DW off it - but it has other RF/static/grounding issues.

Hi Anak,

Are you implying 335 would be better paired off with a high impedance HO?
Re the sound stage, I did a comparison again, 335s just sound a bit congested and not open compared with 334s.

P.S can you share your thoughts on comparison of DX100 and RWAK100?

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #532 of 6,700
Hi Anak,

Re the sound stage, I did a comparison again, 335s just sound a bit congested and not open compared with 334s.

Anytime you pair a device that can't put the correct current into a an earphone you are getting an aberration. Devices with more than about 6 ohm out should reveal such aberration quite readily.

Whether or not you like the sound isn't the issue. You can like any sound you want. Fitear (nor any self-respecting audio company) tune earphones for iPods or other daps. They tune them on professional hardware that has the best possible spec. Then they create their device. If the earphone happens, like the Grado GR8, have a high ohm threshold, it will perform well on almost anything provided the output device gives enough voltage and current ratio.

That does not mean that you may like the sound from a technically worse device bit is to say, however, that what you are hearing is NOT the way the manufacturer 'intended' the earphone to sound - as the earphone was tuned on professional analysers and amps.

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #533 of 6,700
Quote:
Anytime you pair a device that can't put the correct current into a an earphone you are getting an aberration. Devices with more than about 6 ohm out should reveal such aberration.

Whether or not you like the sound isn't the issue. You can like any sound you want. Fitear (nor any self-respecting audio company) tune earphones for iPods or other daps. They tune them on professional hardware that has the best possible spec. Then they create their device. If the earphone happens, like the Grado GR8, have a high ohm threshold, it will perform well on almost anything provided the output device gives enough voltage and current ratio.

That does not mean that you may like the sound from a technically worse device bit is to say, however, that what you are hearing is NOT the way the manufacturer 'intended' the earphone to sound - as the earphone was tuned on professional analysers and amps.

You've brought up a curious point there. Why don't manufacturers actually just stick to the same specifications to power earphones etc and vice versa. That way it ensures that everyone hears it the way it was "supposed" to, but then again, there is more versatility and more money to be earned by messing around. Hence why so many have a gazillion earphones/headphones etc. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #534 of 6,700
Quote:

You've brought up a curious point there. Why don't manufacturers actually just stick to the same specifications to power earphones etc and vice versa. That way it ensures that everyone hears it the way it was "supposed" to, but then again, there is more versatility and more money to be earned by messing around. Hence why so many have a gazillion earphones/headphones etc. 

Objective manufacturers already do stick to established standards as mentioned above. Unfortunately, when changing sound around, you will get different output tolerance depending on many factors. If manufacturers targeted 50 ohms, they would have very little of their own signature to tout, that and considering the space limitations of earphones, you can't just wrap wire or add resistors willy nilly. It's up to the manufacturer. The user has their own agenda: expensive (and sometimes excellent (iBasso DX100)) or cheap and excellent (iPod shuffle 512, Sansa Clip), or expensive and meh: C4. 

If manufacturers intend their players not to sound normal when connecting to earphones (which doesn't make sense), that is their prerogative. A low Ω output is as neutral as it gets. It isn't heavy or cloudy. It is as true to the source as is possible. If a listener prefers the sparkle added by funky treble spikes and bass fall outs, it is up to her. But, again, those things are aberrations against the original music and (if the manufacturer is indeed tuning on proper equipment (which most should be)) are up to personal opinion. 

Now, most manufacturers own a bloody load of players. iPods, Cowons, Sony Walkmans, Terra players (maybe), DX100, etc. They can prefer one over another and say so. If an earphone was, instead of being tuned on industry standard equipment, tuned on an iPod, it is _possible_ that it sounds best on that device. It is also possible that the device even in tuning, didn't have what it takes to make the signal as close to the original. It is always best to tune on industry standards and let the fallout thereof go to the market. In the end, even if an iPod was proven to produce 100% perfect sound, I think users of these forums would not flock to it. It's Apple. It's cheaper than a lot of audiophile players. It's too popular. Let's face it, in the portable audio world, we strive to be different to the regular Joe. I know that some of us even look down on regular people with regular earphones with regular iPods.

And, as I've said before in caustic tones, there will always be at least one area in which we are looked down on by others whose spec we don't live up to.

Bringing us back, FitEar tune on an industry standard machine. I saw it. I saw the process. Aberrations can exist at the acoustic coupler level - but that is almost unavoidable, and those aberrations are small. The bend of our ears, our health, our weight, the weather: all of these have bigger affects on what we hear than the tiny idiosyncrasies produced by slight earphone-professional audio interface alignment niggles.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #535 of 6,700
Quote:
Hi Anak,

I'm saying for my preferences, I want to try a DAP with a higher HP out impedance to roll off the bass somewhat. As with spkrs01 and DAPs of sub 1-ohm headphone out, I find the MH335DW to be quite warm and heavy. This is the case with my RWAK100 and DX100. As a test of the alternative, I've tried and preferred the MH335DW pairing with my customised Go-DAP X of 10 ohm.

However, Shigzeo is very correct that a mismatching impedance may not be as the maker intended. Which is why I stress that it's "my preference". Note that I don't always have an issue with the warm bass though. With some genre, that warm bass actually works well.

About the soundstage, what cable were you using on the 335 and 334 though?

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #536 of 6,700
My thoughts are, if the MH335DW sounds congested, then there is definitely something wrong. 

I am listening to my pair now, on the AK100 playing a 24/192 file of Lionel Richie's album, "Can't Slow Down"

It is clear, rich sounding. everything has it's own position in the soundstage, nothing is on top of each other, a very clean and easy to follow bass line for the bass guitar. Good impact for the drums in the upper bass. Low bass is providing the foundation and underpinning to the music. Illusions of width is beyond shoulders and depth stretching about a 75-100cm in front. 

For me gorgeous................

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #537 of 6,700
Quote:

I'm saying for my preferences, I want to try a DAP with a higher HP out impedance to roll off the bass somewhat. As with spkrs01 and DAPs of sub 1-ohm headphone out, I find the MH335DW to be quite warm and heavy. This is the case with my RWAK100 and DX100. As a test of the alternative, I've tried and preferred the MH335DW pairing with my customised Go-DAP X of 10 ohm.

However, Shigzeo is very correct that a mismatching impedance may not be as the maker intended. Which is why I stress that it's "my preference". Note that I don't always have an issue with the warm bass though. With some genre, that warm bass actually works well.

About the soundstage, what cable were you using on the 335 and 334 though?

I am using stock cable 001. 

today I bought a pair of RS1i and they sound brilliant...anyway, the dealer offered me to try 000 on my 334s, I'd say it does improve the sound by quite a margin compared to the stock. especially the bass and soundstage. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #538 of 6,700
Quote:
My thoughts are, if the MH335DW sounds congested, then there is definitely something wrong. 

I am listening to my pair now, on the AK100 playing a 24/192 file of Lionel Richie's album, "Can't Slow Down"

It is clear, rich sounding. everything has it's own position in the soundstage, nothing is on top of each other, a very clean and easy to follow bass line for the bass guitar. Good impact for the drums in the upper bass. Low bass is providing the foundation and underpinning to the music. Illusions of width is beyond shoulders and depth stretching about a 75-100cm in front. 

For me gorgeous................

that's what I'm confused about, pity can't compare with another pair of 335s due to its custom nature. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #539 of 6,700
Quote:
that's what I'm confused about, pity can't compare with another pair of 335s due to its custom nature. 

I am really sorry to read that the MH335DW doesn't seem to be working out too well for you
size]

The only thing I can suggest is to play around with the FIT some more. They are really sensitive to how you sit them in your ears, and the sound can change quite drastically. One thing of note is, do not insert them the way you would a normal pair of Customs. Avoid using the STEMS to create seal, that just results in a huge air vacuum created and for me just kills the sonics.

Adding the 000 cable just takes the MH335DW up to another level, as you have observed, especially in the bass and soundstaging. 

Hope you can get the MH335DW to sound how they are supposed to sound. For me they are definitely in my top 3 of In-Ears Monitors that I have ever heard
size]

Edit: 

I should add, when you put the MH335DW on, make sure your mouth is closed to duplicate ear impressions.....If you have an open mouth, the stems will surely go too deep................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back