The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #6,467 of 17,484
Yes, please. But make it so that the other menus are also "multi-leveled"(as in genre->artist->album, genre->album etc) as suggested some pages ago. It should be trivial to do after doing what you said.

So the big problem here is that its NOT trivial. As Joe pointed out to me on the facebook page, its been in talks with the developer of the firmware, but you need to think of this in terms of development time vs benefits.

From the dev perspective, the benefits are not worth the dev time to implement a multi-layer sorting because they feel that you can just go to Category > Album, or Browse. They think that is OK. I tried explaining how people coming from itunes and similar software are heavily dependant on the "2 column browsing".

Older users would be more familiar with things like winamp and foobar and playlist-type browsing. From this perspective, the X3 would probably be functioning just fine. And once you mix the two opinions together, its easy to see why the developer sees no real benefits to adding "extraneous" functionality when you can already accomplish things. They arent fixing any problems, to them they are just adding a feature thats already there.

So hopefully we can convince them that its not a feature, its important to the ui's design to have a good way to browse through large collections of music (especially if you have 1 song from 1 album from 1 artist, hundreds of times).

Honestly, I'm more concerned with track number sorting. Think about it: If we can go into Artist> Tracks and have the tracks listed in ALBUM order (by track number), all of our problems are fixed anyways. Its still not 100% ideal or anything, but its a hell of a lot easier.

And that problem is actually apparent throughout everywhere in the player. Its in Play All, Genre, and Artist. Basically, the sorting on the player is all sorts of effed but the devs dont believe it is.

Nov 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #6,468 of 17,484
on another note, is there a "restore defaults" button or trick for the DAC software?

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #6,469 of 17,484
So the big problem here is that its NOT trivial. As Joe pointed out to me on the facebook page, its been in talks with the developer of the firmware, but you need to think of this in terms of development time vs benefits.

From the dev perspective, the benefits are not worth the dev time to implement a multi-layer sorting because they feel that you can just go to Category > Album, or Browse. They think that is OK. I tried explaining how people coming from itunes and similar software are heavily dependant on the "2 column browsing".

Older users would be more familiar with things like winamp and foobar and playlist-type browsing. From this perspective, the X3 would probably be functioning just fine. And once you mix the two opinions together, its easy to see why the developer sees no real benefits to adding "extraneous" functionality when you can already accomplish things. They arent fixing any problems, to them they are just adding a feature thats already there.

So hopefully we can convince them that its not a feature, its important to the ui's design to have a good way to browse through large collections of music (especially if you have 1 song from 1 album from 1 artist, hundreds of times).

Honestly, I'm more concerned with track number sorting. Think about it: If we can go into Artist> Tracks and have the tracks listed in ALBUM order (by track number), all of our problems are fixed anyways. Its still not 100% ideal or anything, but its a hell of a lot easier.

And that problem is actually apparent throughout everywhere in the player. Its in Play All, Genre, and Artist. Basically, the sorting on the player is all sorts of effed but the devs dont believe it is.

I meant trivial after they implement what James said is the main problem right now(artist->album). From my little C/python experience that would be as easy as it gets, most of the code would be the same. Proper artist->tracks would indeed be great.

Maybe we can convince the devs to implement .m3u with proper folder handling :wink: then just use browser mode with Artist/Album+playlist for each album.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #6,470 of 17,484
Running Python and c on an operating system vs aging an embedded platform are two different things. Embedded things are very finicky.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #6,472 of 17,484
I guess the last big problem is album after the artist. please give us more time and thx in advance. 

Hi James,

This would be much appreciated but for me there are two more fundamental usabilty issues...

1. Very slow to skip between tracks. Should be able to skip several tracks instantaneously.

2. Ability to navigate from a playing track to containing album or folder (usually regarded as the current playlist). These options could be added to the track information screen (long press back).

Regards

BZ

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #6,473 of 17,484
  so the new firmware fixed the problem of the files name sorting ? are you guys feel happy now? 
L3000.gif

I still have the problem with number in m4a, 10 appears before 01. I am using spanish language.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #6,474 of 17,484
Hi James,

This would be much appreciated but for me there are two more fundamental usabilty issues...

1. Very slow to skip between tracks. Should be able to skip several tracks instantaneously.

2. Ability to navigate from a playing track to containing album or folder (usually regarded as the current playlist). These options could be added to the track information screen (long press back).

Regards

BZ

My thoughts exactly. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #6,475 of 17,484
There's also that mp3 thing that Marlene was talking about. Dunno if that was addressed, as I use flac.

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #6,476 of 17,484

Yes. I mean, it plays as gapless. Sometimes there´s a small 'pop' but that´s because the AAC encoder generally produces a delay.

BTW, if the FiiO isn´t able to play MP3 in gapless it´s because MP3 itself isn´t gapless. Many players play it gapless but MP3 normally cannot do this.

Yeah it's actually a pop sound (not a half second gap) between the AAC tracks for gapless playback  
James, is it possible to fix this, if it hasn't been fixed in 2.10? By the way, I am trying to download the latest firmware but I am only getting 2kB/s...

Nov 20, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #6,477 of 17,484
i'm ready to buy it..
a bit confused about headphone output specs..
other websites mention 300mW-16Ohm , 200mW-32Ohm

and other 540mW-16Ohm,270mW-32Ohm-30mW-300Ohm

which is correct?

Is there a high/low gain setting?

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #6,479 of 17,484
Really? thats Great!:) I have the over ear version aswell, do you have any tips for this particular combination? Like good eq settings or anything like that? Do you use some external device to make it sound even better or is it just straight phones to X3?

(<------total beginner)

The Momentums tend to be a bit harsh around 3.8kHz with some recordings. A -2dB dip would do it (it's really not that much!) but unfortunately X3 doesn't have a parametric eq. Personally I like to nudge the bass a bit up. It really depends a lot on the mix, which is a good omen regarding neutrality. I only use the X3 as it is, great amp! Very clean and powerful. Best served with (Highres) FLAC files :)

Nov 20, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #6,480 of 17,484
This is really strange. I downloaded the new firmware, which took a lot longer than usual, unzipped it, transferred it to the same card i have done all my previous firmware updates with, inserted the card into my X3, the same as always, and it keeps saying update file not found. I put the card back in my PC and the file is definitely there, when I look when the card is in the X3 it shows that the file is there. I haven't had any problems doing the updates previously in the exact same way, and I have done all the firmware updates along the way. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back