The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #6,061 of 17,484

True, but the DAC needs some improvement.

Does it? You may not like the sound the DAC produces for your particular taste, but for many, it will be fine.

The X3's sound quality and functionality far exceeds what anyone could reasonably expect at its pricepoint and to expect it to have a more expensive DAC that suits your particular taste is just unreasonable in my opinion.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #6,062 of 17,484
  Perhaps stupid question, but I set my X3 Library Update to "Auto".  However, when I switch a new SD card in and turn it on, the library does not update.  I need to go back to the setting and click it to trigger the index process.  Am I missing something?

Also, is there a way to increase the speed at which the display scrolls?  I often have detailed info at the end of file names (24-96, Vinyl Rip, etc) that is useful to distinguish between recordings.  Takes forever to scroll through name of Artist - Album to get to this info.

Thanks!

I normally use manual update, but as far as I recall, the auto-update function is triggered when you eject the device from having transferred music across via USB to the card already in it. I don't remember it being triggered by swapping the sd-card in, if you have updated that card separately on a PC card reader for example. Someone correct me if I am wrong here, please,

Also, as far as I am aware there is no way of increasing scrolling speed of the text, but I do recall Fiio posting that they were looking at this, but it may be a limitation of the firmware.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #6,063 of 17,484
  And I was thinking that everyting was perfect...
Another glich to add those in this thread: after updating to 2.05 I just can't use Categories anymore. None of them (Album, Artist or Genre). Has any of you had this one? Everythig is tagged as before, so I don't know what's going on.

All 3 categories are working fine for me with 2.05.  However, at the same time I also had added more files to the external card.  When I then tried to update the library, all of the categories had disappeared.  I had to delete the Library file (Instructions for doing that are in the X3 PDF manual) and then manually update to recreate it with the changes, and after that everything was peachy.

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #6,064 of 17,484

I use to be unreasonable. The difference in sound quality from the DAC to the DAP is too big and I don't think it's normal, must be something to do with the firmware implementation.

I think you may be the only one getting significant degradation in the sound quality in DAC mode. Anyone else who is should speak up now....

Oct 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #6,065 of 17,484
  I think you may be the only one getting significant degradation in the sound quality in DAC mode. Anyone else who is should speak up now....

I have noticed absolutely no difference between the DAC and DAP modes. That's why I suspected maybe some people might notice the difference by using a strange USB cable or a noisy computer.

Since the data input path is pretty straightforward and simple, I can't see how Fiio can do anything to make it better/worse than what it is now. Maybe better USB power isolation? but that's a hardware upgrade rather than something in the firmware etc.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #6,069 of 17,484
  Any suggestions on how to do this on a Mac?  Thx.

If you mean use the X3 as a DAC you pretty much just plug it in with a standard USB cable. Providing you are on firmware version 2.05 on the X3 "it just works". If you have several sound outputs available to the Mac you may have to go to System Preferences/Sound to select the X3 as the system default sound output, but that's it.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #6,070 of 17,484
Actually I was looking to see how I can get my X3 back on its feet.  I ripped a DVD-A and copied the 96kHz/24bit ALAC files to my 64 gig microSD card in the X3.  The X3 cant seem to play through them. It freezes up and gives me redundant digi-noise. So i copied them to the internal memory of the player but same problems. Then the buttons on the unit wont respond to the touch.  It wont readily shut down nor turn on.  And those ALAC files will play on my Mac flawlessly.  With the X3 off, I held down the reset button on top (paper clip) and then restarted the unit; no change.  I held down the Play/Pause/Start button for over :10sec to rest the X3. No change.  Maybe the unit is broken.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #6,071 of 17,484
Has anyone noticed this behavior :

Using browser mode ( i don't use the DB).
I have an album with 100 tracks say 12 normal tracks then a hep of empty tracks followed by a track or two at the end.
Quite common way to have hidden tracks on CD's ages a go.

The X3 plays the first 12 songs then just stops on the empty tracks. Won't move on to the next empty track , so it never reaches the last end songs. 

Easy fix would be just to delete the empty tracks.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6,072 of 17,484
  Ok, it sounds better from the front USB port (strange, I know). It sounds now *almost* as good as the DAP (still a bit muffled in comparison, but there was a slight improvement).

USB performance is dependent on things like the motherboard controller, use of hubs, etc. If you have an Intel-based system, plug the X3 into a USB port directly connected to the Intel controller (not a secondary controller). Also make sure you're using the latest Intel USB drivers (you can download these from intel.com). That will guarantee you the best possible performance. This is assuming you're connecting to your computer and not some other device with USB ports.

By the way, your front USB ports are connected via a header on the motherboard. This also degrades performance somewhat, so you can probably get even better results connecting to an Intel port on the back of your computer. Use the Windows Device Manager in View by Connection mode to see what's connected to your Intel ports and what's connected to a secondary controller.

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #6,073 of 17,484
I'm considering to eventually buy a Fiio X3 to replace my Cowon J3, because I'm starting to get more and more high definition files (96 kHz or 24-bit-per-sample) that the Cowon J3 can't handle.

Before I do that though, I would like to know if you guys have encountered any file that mysteriously won't play on the Fiio X3, even though it should, according to specs?

On my Cowon J3, there are OGG files that won't play even though they should be OK according to the specs of the Cowon J3. This album, for example: http://kahvi.org/releases.php?release_number=297 (Make sure you get the OGG zip file).

Oct 31, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #6,074 of 17,484
Actually I was looking to see how I can get my X3 back on its feet.  I ripped a DVD-A and copied the 96kHz/24bit ALAC files to my 64 gig microSD card in the X3.  The X3 cant seem to play through them. It freezes up and gives me redundant digi-noise. So i copied them to the internal memory of the player but same problems. Then the buttons on the unit wont respond to the touch.  It wont readily shut down nor turn on.  And those ALAC files will play on my Mac flawlessly.  With the X3 off, I held down the reset button on top (paper clip) and then restarted the unit; no change.  I held down the Play/Pause/Start button for over :10sec to rest the X3. No change.  Maybe the unit is broken.

Just a thought, how many channels do the files have? I believe DVD-A supports much more than just stereo, but I'm pretty sure that the X3 won't know what to do with more than 2 channels.

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #6,075 of 17,484
Anyone care to make a comparison of the X3 in USB DAC mode to that of say, the CEntrance DACPort and other similar USB DAC devices?

Also anyone else using DT 880 250Ohms with this device? Can I hear what are your thoughts on the sound?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back