The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 1, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #16,876 of 17,484
  My Audio technica ATH ES 7 broke down again, third pair. I give up on them; although, maybe I try to find new wiring. They were for me a perfect match with the X3, so I am sad. The ATH ES 7 had a vidid sound, especially in the upper mids, that was a really good match, also because it had a tight bass.

My new Sony A 1, is less pronounced in the upper mids, and with the bass les tight and slower, it is not such a great match (but the X3 ii sounds better on it!)

So I tried for the first time the equaliser. I am not a fan of those tools, but I guess with turning the bass a bit down and the upper mids up, it would do better. The Sony A 1 has a nice soundstage though.

My firmware is 3.3. Now it is very annoying to use the equaliser. When I turn from off to custom, sounds decreases dramaticaly.  And to be honnest I not hear so much the changements , when using the equaliser. Is that a problem with the 3.3 firmware, or the player? I not tried the 3.4, would that or other firmware help?

You could try updating to 3.4 as that is better in many other ways but it won't sort your problem out. The X3's software has never been very effective. It is quite normal for the volume to drop a lot when enabling it though. On my old rockbox player, the sound lever dropped when it was enabled. The same on my Pule Audio Equalizer as well as the android spotify too. On the original X3, the Only good option of changing the sound a lot is by using the hardware bass and treble controls. The EQ does change it a bit. Maybe when you use that, if you are not currently on high gain, switch to high gain, then you won't notice such a drop in volume. The Eq won't be as good as the X3II but if I put it at +6 an 62hz, I do notice more low end rumble to the deep notes. Only a little bit more though. EQ wasn't originally on the X3. It is something that has got added. The hardware bass and treble are a huge amount more effective.

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #16,879 of 17,484
So pick the highest EQ setting and set it to maximum. Take a note of how many db you had to raise it and raise everything else by the same number.

Volume is higher with the same EQ.

Then careful in case peaks distort, if they do, then lower everything by 1 or 2 until it stops.

It would be more of a pity to have to listen to distortion.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #16,880 of 17,484
I have about 50gb of music on my 64gb card in my X3 now. Once that gets full, I would probably get a 128gb card. Does the X3 tend to work well with most brands? Both my Phillips and Lexar 64gb cards have worked well.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/flash-memory/microsd-cards/exceria-m301/

This Toshiba is about to be available on amazon.co.uk for about the best price I have seen for a 128gb card that is a well known and trusted brand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016E7EPX0?redirect=true&ref_=s9_im_co_g147_i6

I did check on Toshiba's website to make sure they actually did make it as sometimes, fakes are made.

An example of the most silly things that some sellers do:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/256GB-microSD-memory-card-adapter/dp/B016TBGJ12/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1452888793&sr=1-6&keywords=256gb+micro+sd

I don't know who would buy this and actually think it was 256gb when a proper brand like Sandisk can't get any higher than 200gb and they sell that at £116.99 on amazon.co.uk!

I just hope the X3 isn't fussy like other devises about the size and brand of the card. I have heard that some phones only accept certain brands. Also, what format would be best for the card in the X3.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Jan 15, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #16,881 of 17,484
  I have about 50gb of music on my 64gb card in my X3 now. Once that gets full, I would probably get a 128gb card. Does the X3 tend to work well with most brands? Both my Phillips and Lexar 64gb cards have worked well.
I just hope the X3 isn't fussy like other devises about the size and brand of the card. I have heard that some phones only accept certain brands. Also, what format would be best for the card in the X3.

Thanks if anyone can help.

I started with a 128 GB card and a huge amount of music... about 8000 files. While the device had no problem with that size SD card, the player performance navigating the database was pretty poor. Just when you weren't sure if a click or action had registered, the device would respond, going into and out of artist lists or album lists. I dropped back to 64GB (and ~5000 tracks) and it's still slow, but I've learned to live with it. 

For 64GB and 128GB you will need to use NTFS or ExFAT. I haven't tried ext but I don't think that would work. 

I hope some day we see a Rockbox build for this baby. It really is a sweet device. 

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #16,883 of 17,484

I started with a 128 GB card and a huge amount of music... about 8000 files. While the device had no problem with that size SD card, the player performance navigating the database was pretty poor. Just when you weren't sure if a click or action had registered, the device would respond, going into and out of artist lists or album lists. I dropped back to 64GB (and ~5000 tracks) and it's still slow, but I've learned to live with it. 

For 64GB and 128GB you will need to use NTFS or ExFAT. I haven't tried ext but I don't think that would work. 

I hope some day we see a Rockbox build for this baby. It really is a sweet device. 

In the browse files I have A - H, I - Q and R - Z. That makes it faster and easier to get around. I have around 4700 tracks and 9.4gb spare on my 64gb card.

I noticed that when I went over 4000 tracks that it became a bit less responsive and I'm not sure why that is. I'm used to it not though.

Jan 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #16,884 of 17,484
In the browse files I have A - H, I - Q and R - Z. That makes it faster and easier to get around. I have around 4700 tracks and 9.4gb spare on my 64gb card.

I noticed that when I went over 4000 tracks that it became a bit less responsive and I'm not sure why that is. I'm used to it not though.

Yeah, can't even use the id3 tags to navigate, got to use folder view. I have roughly 7000 songs, every album is the full album. And I use a split similar to yours.

And as a side note, when the ---- are they going to add crossfeed. Even a rock boxed clip can do it. Does fiio just need to give the go ahead to that team or what?

Jan 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #16,885 of 17,484

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/flash-memory/microsd-cards/exceria-m301/

This Toshiba is about to be available on amazon.co.uk for about the best price I have seen for a 128gb card that is a well known and trusted brand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016E7EPX0?redirect=true&ref_=s9_im_co_g147_i6

Same card, less monies:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/Toshiba/Toshiba-128GB-Exceria-Pro-Micro-SD-%28SDXC%29-Card-UHS-I-U1---48MB_s

A quid cheaper and free shipping in the UK. I buy most of my memory cards from them, only once had a dud, but it was the manufacturers fault, not theirs. Yet they were very quick to resolve the issue...

Jan 16, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #16,886 of 17,484
Yeah, can't even use the id3 tags to navigate, got to use folder view. I have roughly 7000 songs, every album is the full album. And I use a split similar to yours.

And as a side note, when the ---- are they going to add crossfeed. Even a rock boxed clip can do it. Does fiio just need to give the go ahead to that team or what?

No, they're not going to do this. FiiO can't legally open it up for RockBox, either. The RockBox team can give it their best shot, though.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #16,887 of 17,484

Same card, less monies:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/Toshiba/Toshiba-128GB-Exceria-Pro-Micro-SD-%28SDXC%29-Card-UHS-I-U1---48MB_s

A quid cheaper and free shipping in the UK. I buy most of my memory cards from them, only once had a dud, but it was the manufacturers fault, not theirs. Yet they were very quick to resolve the issue...

I must say I like stuff from Mymemory too. They at leased for sure won't sell fakes. I looked for that card on the Mymemory website by going to micro SD cards and filtering what was there. The highest option was to be able to view only 64gb cards. That made me think that they had none that were 128gb.

Mymemory is often cheaper than amazon but I haven't always been able to get a free delivery. On that page, I can't see where it says that specific product is free to deliver in the UK.
Mymemory sell it through amazon.co.uk at £39.99 which seems pricey.

I have not tried searching for 128gb cards and found this:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/Integral/Integral-128GB-Micro-SDXC-Card-For-Smartphone-and-Tablet-UHS-I-U1---90MB_s

I've never heard of this brand but it seems very good value. I just feel I should go with another well known brand when I replace my Phillips 64gb card for my X3.

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #16,888 of 17,484
I must say I like stuff from Mymemory too. They at leased for sure won't sell fakes. I looked for that card on the Mymemory website by going to micro SD cards and filtering what was there. The highest option was to be able to view only 64gb cards. That made me think that they had none that were 128gb.

Mymemory is often cheaper than amazon but I haven't always been able to get a free delivery. On that page, I can't see where it says that specific product is free to deliver in the UK.
Mymemory sell it through amazon.co.uk at £39.99 which seems pricey.

I have not tried searching for 128gb cards and found this:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Micro-SDXC/Integral/Integral-128GB-Micro-SDXC-Card-For-Smartphone-and-Tablet-UHS-I-U1---90MB_s

I've never heard of this brand but it seems very good value. I just feel I should go with another well known brand when I replace my Phillips 64gb card for my X3.

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago (117 gb capacity) £24.99 inc post UK. It's good micro sd card and works fine fat32 with my N5 :sunglasses:

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #16,889 of 17,484

From their delivery info page:

United Kingdom: All prices include delivery charges
Delivery normally takes no more than 3 to 5 working days.

International: P&P - £1.95 for the first 3 items, £1.00 for each additional item
Delivery normally takes 7 -10 working days. Please note that weight restrictions may apply to International orders.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/delivery-info

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #16,890 of 17,484
From their delivery info page:

United Kingdom: All prices include delivery charges
Delivery normally takes no more than 3 to 5 working days.

International: P&P - £1.95 for the first 3 items, £1.00 for each additional item
Delivery normally takes 7 -10 working days. Please note that weight restrictions may apply to International orders.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/delivery-info

I am used to cards not being quite as high as they say. That is normal. My Phillips 64gb card is about 59gb I think. It is great that the Integral card has a 5 year warranty. I will wait for the price to drop a bit I think then buy that one as it does look reasonable. I just hope the performance of my X3 won't get any slower. It seems to update the media library faster with my Phillips card than my Lexar for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back