The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 24, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #15,901 of 17,484
I did and I even thoght there was a slight sq improvement ...
The Amp is also very strong enough for every closed headphone.
And if youre using high gain and the Hardware adjustments you might get the best sound output for a tiny device like this !
I fell in love with it :heart_eyes:

Wolfson WM8740 is a wonderful sounding chip. And the absolutely essential hardware EQ that X3 II lacks, makes me choose the X3 Classic hands down. Even over X5. IMO X3 is the best FiiO player ever.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #15,902 of 17,484
Wolfson WM8740 is a wonderful sounding chip. And the absolutely essential hardware EQ that X3 II lacks, makes me choose the X3 Classic hands down. Even over X5. IMO X3 is the best FiiO player ever.

So you got your X3ii and prefer X3? I preferred X3ii but knew some people would prefer original X3. I tire of reviews where the reviewer claims something is "better" without taking personal preference (theirs or others) into account.

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #15,903 of 17,484
  I'm about to buy an X3. I'm just wondering about the different boxes I've come across so far, probably 4 different ones for the same product. Are there any known fakes in circulation on ebay or elsewhere? Has anyone ever come across one?

There is the black and white box and 3 different white boxes: 2 have the "Brown Eyes.wav" image showing some kind of savanna, with the difference being that there is a refelction seen beneth the player on one, and nothing on the other. The 3rd white box shows a black screen and also no reflection.

I guess these have just been released at different times over the past 2 years?

Another question: will there be a way to read the serial number on the player itself and compare it with what's on the box? I know there isn't a number on the back of the player but maybe you can still get to see it under "About" on the player, where different information of the player is stored.

I couldn't find definite answers for these when I searched so I hope someone can shed some light on this.

From my own experience, if the X3 you're buying is brand new, FiiO haa already thought of fake products so the company has a check on authenticity.. There is a message at one end of the box that instructs the owner to scratch off the coating to expose a large number. The person THEN visits the FiiO website to check that number and the website will report back. My X3 was the genuine article - and I would have been bitterly disappointed if I had been informed otherwise. After all, I had purchased it from the authorized importer of FiiO products here. I assume that all X3 formats have this check.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #15,904 of 17,484
So you got your X3ii and prefer X3? I preferred X3ii but knew some people would prefer original X3. I tire of reviews where the reviewer claims something is "better" without taking personal preference (theirs or others) into account.

I believe it very much depends on the genres/ songs that the person is listening to.
If listening to Adele, Norah Jones, Eric Clapton, just to name a few, x3ii may not stand out (impress) too much from the original x3. Some may prefer the SQ of x3 (warm, forward mid, etc).
Try some artists/ tracks like:-
Eagles (Hotel California), Pink Floyd (Time), The Cranberries (Zombie), Alanis Morissette, Def Leppard...then, x3ii wins, by leaps.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #15,905 of 17,484

Just got mine today !
And man do i love it !
This is my package and mine looks (and souns) like 100% original
Hope you got no fake one :scream:
I hate fakes and I think the rules should be even stricter for fakers ! :person_frowning:

I got mine about a year ago now. Came in the same style box.

All of the cases bought separately seem to have the same bit of card showing the X3 buttons and screen.
I have had 2 of the HS3 silicone cases that started to peel quite fast. I then got the leather flip case but that didn't feel like it has enough protection. The bottom and top is totally open. I now use the HS5 and I like that the best. The leather is really thick and I prefer having an open front so it is easy to access and feel the buttons. 

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #15,906 of 17,484
I believe it very much depends on the genres/ songs that the person is listening to.
If listening to Adele, Norah Jones, Eric Clapton, just to name a few, x3ii may not stand out (impress) too much from the original x3. Some may prefer the SQ of x3 (warm, forward mid, etc).
Try some artists/ tracks like:-
Eagles (Hotel California), Pink Floyd (Time), The Cranberries (Zombie), Alanis Morissette, Def Leppard...then, x3ii wins, by leaps.

Exactly.

Absolutely. Going from hardware EQ to software EQ only was a bad move IMO. If I upgrade to something similar to X3 II it will be definitely the Hidizs AP100 with hardware EQ. These guys are in the right path.

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #15,907 of 17,484
Anyone having trouble with the "Repeat All" mode? Mine does not seem to do anything. I exclusively use the Folder option when playing so maybe that has something to do with it? I expected it to repeat the songs in the current folder but it just goes to the next folder. "Single Repeat" seems to work fine. I'm running FW3.34Beta.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #15,908 of 17,484
Hey all. I need some help. I can only get my X3 to turn on by pushing the reset button. The power button is doing nothing. Does anyone know what is going on or have a fix? It still under warranty if need be... 

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #15,909 of 17,484
  Hey all. I need some help. I can only get my X3 to turn on by pushing the reset button. The power button is doing nothing. Does anyone know what is going on or have a fix? It still under warranty if need be... 

Have you tried out a total factory reset in the setup menu if you can at least turn it on? If this doesn't do it then it could maybe be something to do with the button. I'm not sure really.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #15,911 of 17,484
Anyone having trouble with the "Repeat All" mode? Mine does not seem to do anything. I exclusively use the Folder option when playing so maybe that has something to do with it? I expected it to repeat the songs in the current folder but it just goes to the next folder. "Single Repeat" seems to work fine. I'm running FW3.34Beta.

I'm just guessing here, but I suspect the "Next Folder" setting is on, and it overrides the "Repeat All" setting. Hopefully it's something simple like this. :)

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #15,912 of 17,484
Hi all,

So I still haven't purchased any headphones.
frown.gif
 I'm a little hesitant because this is the first time I'll be buying a headphone. Wanted that is something worth the money and can work good with the X3. The headphone I am looking at is AKG K553 Pro. There's a deal online where the price has gone below. Still a little hesitant though because it's still cost a lot of money and I don't really know how it sounds since I haven't tried it. The review looks fine though.

Anyway, what do you guys think if I pair this with the X3? Thanks!

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #15,913 of 17,484
The AKG-K553 should be a great entry and it should pair well with the X3 Classic.

I currently own the K550 and the X5, and I used to own the X3 Classic and it paired very well with the X3, especially with the hardware bass/treble control. I imagine the K553 would sound great.

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #15,914 of 17,484
Haven't tried the K553 with my X3 yet, but I did try it with my DX90. It sounded thin. It sounded noticeably better when using a portable amp and much better when using a desktop amp. By better, I mean more dynamic with much improved bass response and larger soundstage - so much better that I'm considering them stationary HP for use only with my desktop amp. Alone with an X3 - YMMV...

Apr 27, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #15,915 of 17,484
Haven't tried the K553 with my X3 yet, but I did try it with my DX90. It sounded thin. It sounded noticeably better when using a portable amp and much better when using a desktop amp. By better, I mean more dynamic with much improved bass response and larger soundstage - so much better that I'm considering them stationary HP for use only with my desktop amp. Alone with an X3 - YMMV...

I believe the dx90 would push the upper range of the AKG over the top, perhaps not the best match. Not sure though as I haven't heard the K553.

All I know is that the X3 played very well with the K550 (again, the hw bass/treble control helps a lot). My friend I sold the X3 to also has the K550 and he also loved the pairing. I've read that many others love the pairing as well. I can only imagine that the improvements in the K553 over the K550 are beneficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back