The Fiio X3 Thread.
Apr 6, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #15,601 of 17,484

So can you even control the volume from the front buttons? Not that I will be getting the X3II as I have the original. I hope that the X3 I have will sound about as good though. If it was a lot better then it might put us off the X3 that we have.

Just posted my review of the X3 2G here. Am also owner of an original X3, and have to say it's going to be replaced by the much better 2nd gen. as soon as that's released.

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #15,602 of 17,484

in fact, you can use X1/X3II/X5 all the features by the front buttons.

Hi James,

Yes, I believe I would get used to them pretty quickly too. The new players also look better than X3 I.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #15,604 of 17,484
I love my X3 version 1. I was contemplating purchasing the next generation of this player but i'll hold on until the X5 version 2 is released and buy that.
I have just purchased a pair of  Grado SR80s and the sound from the X3 is superb! A little bright sounding but bags of information and detail! I know the Grados aren't ideal regards portability but they sure sound good!

Regards
Ray

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #15,605 of 17,484

Just posted my review of the X3 2G here. Am also owner of an original X3, and have to say it's going to be replaced by the much better 2nd gen. as soon as that's released.

Since it is called the X3 2nd Gen though, I would have thought that it should only be slightly improved soundwise. If it was improved a lot then maybe it could have been called the X4. Similar to what FiiO did with the E5. They stopped making that and then replaced it with the E6 which was better.

Since it is exactly the price that I paid for my X3 which was less than a year ago, I wouldn't have thought that it would be a huge amount better. But of course, technology does more on. I believe the build, UI and many other things like that will be much better though.

The X3 still is good isn't it?
confused.gif
I will be keeping my X3 and not buying anything over it until it gives up hopefully. I don't think that the X3's sound can be that bad since H-Fi choice magazine gave it 4.5/5 stars. (the star rating isn't here but it is there in the magazine)

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/fiio-x3--pound;159/20374 

This review may be over a year old but considering how much they liked it and the fact that many firmwares have improved it a lot since, I feel like the X3 must still be a very good sounding player even if the 2nd Gen sounds a little better.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #15,607 of 17,484
Since it is called the X3 2nd Gen though, I would have thought that it should only be slightly improved soundwise. If it was improved a lot then maybe it could have been called the X4. Similar to what FiiO did with the E5. They stopped making that and then replaced it with the E6 which was better.

Since it is exactly the price that I paid for my X3 which was less than a year ago, I wouldn't have thought that it would be a huge amount better. But of course, technology does more on. I believe the build, UI and many other things like that will be much better though.

The X3 still is good isn't it?:confused: I will be keeping my X3 and not buying anything over it until it gives up hopefully. I don't think that the X3's sound can be that bad since H-Fi choice magazine gave it 4.5/5 stars. (the star rating isn't here but it is there in the magazine)

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/fiio-x3--pound;159/20374 

This review may be over a year old but considering how much they liked it and the fact that many firmwares have improved it a lot since, I feel like the X3 must still be a very good sounding player even if the 2nd Gen sounds a little better.

How to determine if a device is still good:
1: does it still work as intended?
2: do you still like it?
3: does it still sound good?

i never understand people who think that just because a new thing came out, the old one suddenly sucks...

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #15,608 of 17,484
The X3 is wonderful with the FiiO E12A. Without it, not so amazing. But still very good. Some prefer a warm sound, punchy bass, and thats what X3 is all about. Mids and treble are good too. Clean and detailed. I like this player alot and still not sure if I'll wait for X5 II or get the X3 II now.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #15,609 of 17,484
How to determine if a device is still good:
1: does it still work as intended?
2: do you still like it?
3: does it still sound good?

i never understand people who think that just because a new thing came out, the old one suddenly sucks...

I know that it is no worse that it used to be. It is just the fact that a new one that is better came out so soon after the original. Maybe not so soon but my X3 wasn't available for long before I bought it and now it isn't on sale anymore. It just feels like it got replaced very quickly.

It was just a review comparing the sound of the 2 that made me think about this. No, the X3 is still good but the 2nd Gen from what people have said, sounds much better.

I agree with what you say though, mine is the same and I should be happy with it as it does still sound very good. It is just the review I have just seen comparing them sounds like it is making the X3 look a bit like it sounds bad in comparison.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #15,610 of 17,484
I know that it is no worse that it used to be. It is just the fact that a new one that is better came out so soon after the original. Maybe not so soon but my X3 wasn't available for long before I bought it and now it isn't on sale anymore. It just feels like it got replaced very quickly.

It was just a review comparing the sound of the 2 that made me think about this. No, the X3 is still good but the 2nd Gen from what people have said, sounds much better.

I agree with what you say though, mine is the same and I should be happy with it as it does still sound very good. It is just the review I have just seen comparing them sounds like it is making the X3 look a bit like it sounds bad in comparison.

I had the X3 when it first came out. Pre ordered it.
I eventually upgraded to the X5 because i needed more disk space (at the time 64GB micro SD cards were the max)
I usually upgrade about a year to 2 years after purchase, because i know there's always somethin better out there, but i just don't need it.

Unless you're rolling in cash, i suggest you set some rules to yourself in this regard :wink:

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #15,611 of 17,484

I am currently in possession of a X3II to review and while it does indeed sound better than the X3 it's not a night and day difference. Of course the early reviews really focus on what is the difference. 

Let me say one thing: Your X3 is still a great DAP and while the X3II is better, it's not a mandatory upgrade. I would enjoy the X3 and then see what's in store for the X5II or the X7 as these should be a more pronounced upgrade.

Cheers,
K

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #15,612 of 17,484
I had the X3 when it first came out. Pre ordered it.
I eventually upgraded to the X5 because i needed more disk space (at the time 64GB micro SD cards were the max)
I usually upgrade about a year to 2 years after purchase, because i know there's always somethin better out there, but i just don't need it.

Unless you're rolling in cash, i suggest you set some rules to yourself in this regard
wink.gif

Well, I live in the UK and the X3 looked to be around £170 when it first was on sale. I got it for £159. The first price I saw for the X3II was exactly the same. This makes me think that it will reduce like the X3's price did which makes it cheaper and better! I still do prefer the button layout of my X3 though. I have got in the habit of just having it sat in my pocket and I can feel where the buttons are without even putting my hands into my pocket to change the volume or the track. I don't think it will be quite as easy to do as many things on the new X3 without looking at it
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #15,613 of 17,484
I would upgrade to X5 before new X3. To small of upgrade for $ in my opinion. My X3 sound great with or without amp. If my E12 battery dies no prob plugging in to HP jack. Either way my HD600s sound great with it. As do any of my other IEMs or headphones.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #15,614 of 17,484
  I love my X3 version 1. I was contemplating purchasing the next generation of this player but i'll hold on until the X5 version 2 is released and buy that.
I have just purchased a pair of  Grado SR80s and the sound from the X3 is superb! A little bright sounding but bags of information and detail! I know the Grados aren't ideal regards portability but they sure sound good!

Regards
Ray

I'm an X3+Grado fan myself. SR80 and SR225.

I usually have the (non-EQ) treble setting at -6. Seductively warm but still clear.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #15,615 of 17,484
  @hakushondaimao : could you add to your review the fw number you were using for your X3 and X3-II?
Great review otherwise, I might be tempted to get the v2 now :).

Review unit was using: 
X3II FW0.22Beta​
X3 1G is on the most recent: X3 FW3.3​

Will add that to my review.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back