The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 9, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #14,492 of 17,483
  Yess agree harsher is the word, as well  it makes harder to separate the instruments on the highs !!

wohaaaao
blink.gif
 !! so it is not only me !!! just when listening today and the last night .. i surprised by a slightly harsh treble it appears in some songs only  !! ... something reminds me with my sold sony walkman F806 but less sever, of coarse  .. that makes me felt confused for a second or two 

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #14,493 of 17,483
Posted this in the X3K thread but thought it might be welcome here as well.............
wink.gif

To summarize from a couple pages ago (and some posts in other threads by James) as people are still asking about price and size, etc.

1. It's called X3 II, not X3K.
2. X3 II is the same size and UI as the X1 just a bit thicker.
3. Dual crystal oscillators for less jitter.
4. Deep sleep mode for instant on usage without battery drain.
5. 10 band EQ.
6. In-line remote support.
7. Custom playlists.
8. Uses Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip.
9. Native DSD support.
10. It will have a shared line-out and coaxial output jack.
11. About as powerful amp section as the current X3.
12. Full metal case with scroll wheel.
13. Cost is $200 US
14. Mass production will be done in April and then launched to the global market.

smily_headphones1.gif

is anyone else worried about this? will this result in a reduced priority for updates to the X3? i mean, i just got my X3 a couple days ago and i really like it (except for the button layout of course, but this doesn't bother me too much).

of course the used market value of the X3 will drop with the introduction of this version so i'd lose money if wanted to move to the X3 II. hm, i wonder if i should return it.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #14,494 of 17,483
  Gapless works fine on my X3.  I was at work tonight, listening to "Celebration Day, Disc 2" from Led Zeppelin, and there was no audible click, or gap or pause.  Just smooth playback, without problems.  I don't think Sony has released an X3 killer, maybe competition, but not a killer.

btw, when I set up my X3 with the latest firmware, I use a different card formatted to FAT32, load the 3.3 firmware, then take my music card, formatted to exFAT, that I load music on with my computer, by dragging and dropping, and put the card in the player and manually update my library.  I get tons of features that I want, sound is just what I'm looking for, I can browse by artist, see a song list, or go by album.  Sure the picture is cropped, and the scrolling is a little slow, but I can live with that, for the price and sound that I love.  

I'm glad you're enjoying your Sony, but for me, I'll stick with my X3, with the HO amp built in, and the controllable bass and treble, 5 band EQ, and all the other good things Fiio is putting in their firmware.  

+1 Just did the update to 3.3 myself and having no issues with 128GB card. Sure is nice to have exFAT support, the whole having to install a 3rd party formatter to format 128GB with FAT32 was a bit of a chore.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #14,495 of 17,483

is anyone else worried about this? will this result in a reduced priority for updates to the X3? i mean, i just got my X3 a couple days ago and i really like it (except for the button layout of course, but this doesn't bother me too much).

of course the used market value of the X3 will drop with the introduction of this version so i'd lose money if wanted to move to the X3 II. hm, i wonder if i should return it.

Nope.  I don't think Fiio will completely ditch the original X3, with such a consumer base who have already purchased it.  That's definitely not the way to get repeat customers.  I don't mind the button layout, and I just downloaded a custom firmware from the Fiio X3 thread in the Sponsor forum, and it makes the buttons make more sense, and has words to describe each of the menu options.  Doesn't affect sound quality at all, still the beautiful, warm sound that I love from the X3.  

Don't worry about it, unless you have to have the scroll wheel, then return it, and get the X3 II.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #14,497 of 17,483
  Nope.  I don't think Fiio will completely ditch the original X3, with such a consumer base who have already purchased it.  That's definitely not the way to get repeat customers.  I don't mind the button layout, and I just downloaded a custom firmware from the Fiio X3 thread in the Sponsor forum, and it makes the buttons make more sense, and has words to describe each of the menu options.  Doesn't affect sound quality at all, still the beautiful, warm sound that I love from the X3.  

Don't worry about it, unless you have to have the scroll wheel, then return it, and get the X3 II.

cool. thanks for your opinion. not knowing how the two DAC's compare, at this point the most notable difference for my needs looks to be that wheel, which would indeed be of some value to me. but rather than spend the money on this small upgrade i'd more likely wait/save a bit longer and take the larger step up to the X5.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #14,499 of 17,483

You should bask in the glory of hardware treble/bass control. I don't think the new new model will have them (don't quote me on that) and the implementation in the X3 is very musical and clean. If anything the price may go up for original X3's, similar to how the iPod video (5th gen) is popular for its internals. This is all speculation as I don't have my crystal ball (working yet) but there's nothing wrong with your X3 as it is.

After FiiO has released the X5, X1, working on the X7, released 3 amps, 2 amp/DACs, and upgrading the X3 they have continued to support the original X3. They can't work on it forever but will more than likely fix the issues outstanding (again, crystal ball and all that).

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #14,500 of 17,483
£25? Respectable? eBay? I've heard that before. Too good to be true?

Let the X3 format it as FAT32 for the least amount of headache and for FW updates. Format as exFAT for compatibility with other devices if you need it.

Very interested to know if your card works.

Working pretty good. :D

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #14,501 of 17,483
£25? Respectable? eBay? I've heard that before. Too good to be true?

Let the X3 format it as FAT32 for the least amount of headache and for FW updates. Format as exFAT for compatibility with other devices if you need it.

Very interested to know if your card works.

Working pretty good. :D

79adbbd52f5c9dce2f7c237f82fe950d.jpg

Capacity is correct, no errors. Copying about 60GB worth of data at the moment, speed is slower than expected.

Sent from my MI 4W

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #14,502 of 17,483
I'll be darned! That's a helluva deal. There have been a lot of posts about cards that seem to copy fine but when played back on the device there are nothing but issues.

Not heard it play through the X3 yet? If it works great color me impressed as you scored big time.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #14,503 of 17,483
I'll be darned! That's a helluva deal. There have been a lot of posts about cards that seem to copy fine but when played back on the device there are nothing but issues.

Not heard it play through the X3 yet? If it works great color me impressed as you scored big time.

Testing shall be done very soon! My collection is rather large, still copying lol

I just hope the playback part goes well.

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #14,504 of 17,483

Testing shall be done very soon! My collection is rather large, still copying lol

How large?
biggrin.gif
 mine is all 100% FLAC (mix of 16/44, 16/48, 16/88, 24/48, 24/88, 24/96, 24/192) is 678GB

Jan 9, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #14,505 of 17,483
  The card could be fine, but the problem still caused by the formatting (the second item in @x RELIC x 's list. Did you format the card in the X3 using the format menu item on the X3? Formatting it elsewhere can mean that some of the filesystem parameters aren't optimum for the X3.

That's an interesting possibility and one I certainly hadn't considered. I still use WindowsXP and formatted the card via that.

Looks like I need to copy all the files on the card onto my hard drive somewhere, reformat the card via the X3's formatting option, then copy or move the filers back to the card. I will need to reinstall the firmware too, of course.

Thanks for that. I'll try it and see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back