The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 8, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #14,462 of 17,484

Regarding FW I was using the 3.2b and now the 3.3 not sure I'm very happy with it

After listening to 3.3 I was disappointed, some detail and nuance I'd just discovered with my new cans seem to get smoothed out, went back and forth a few times and ended up reverting to beta
redface.gif

I was surprised no one commented before, with previous FW changes there was always arguments on SQ change (which I never really bothered with).

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #14,463 of 17,484
Yea I feel the same, I will compare again both FWs !!!

Ohh I see I do not have the old beta fw file to revert it back !!

Do you know if there is any place to get those previous beta fws !!

Thank you

EDIT got it 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736350/fiio-x3-firmware-3-21-download-and-discussion-thread

Jan 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #14,464 of 17,484
Posted this in the X3K thread but thought it might be welcome here as well............. :wink:

To summarize from a couple pages ago (and some posts in other threads by James) as people are still asking about price and size, etc.

1. It's called X3 II, not X3K.
2. X3 II is the same size and UI as the X1 just a bit thicker.
3. Dual crystal oscillators for less jitter.
4. Deep sleep mode for instant on usage without battery drain.
5. 10 band EQ.
6. In-line remote support.
7. Custom playlists.
8. Uses Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip.
9. Native DSD support.
10. It will have a shared line-out and coaxial output jack.
11. About as powerful amp section as the current X3.
12. Full metal case with scroll wheel.
13. Cost is $200 US
14. Mass production will be done in April and then launched to the global market.

:)

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #14,466 of 17,484
Just received a Samsung EVO 128gb Micro SD card that I bought for £25 off a respectable seller on eBay. Wondering if I should be formatting it to Fat32 or exFAT...

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #14,468 of 17,484
Just received a Samsung EVO 128gb Micro SD card that I bought for £25 off a respectable seller on eBay. Wondering if I should be formatting it to Fat32 or exFAT...

£25? Respectable? eBay? I've heard that before. Too good to be true?

Let the X3 format it as FAT32 for the least amount of headache and for FW updates. Format as exFAT for compatibility with other devices if you need it.

Very interested to know if your card works.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #14,470 of 17,484
New X3 owner here. This plus a 128GB microSD were bought to replace my two Zune 80GB players. Most of my music is in wma lossless. I am also awaiting shipment of a E12 v1 amp (sub bass boost version) to pair with it. Primary cans are Senn HD600.

Anyway I am running FW3.3 and I am really liking everything about this thing except:

(1) 5800 song limit in library. At 8500 songs and counting this makes the library useless to me so I deleted it and only browse folders.

(2) Cover art is cut off on sides and the semi transparent part at the bottom makes the track/file name hard to read in most theme colors. Cover art should be limited to a square space above a solid color display band at the bottom imo.

Anyone else share these complaints and know of plans to address these with future firmware updates? (sorry, I haven't read 1000 pages of discussions :xf_eek:)

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #14,471 of 17,484
New X3 owner here. This plus a 128GB microSD were bought to replace my two Zune 80GB players. Most of my music is in wma lossless. I am also awaiting shipment of a E12 v1 amp (sub bass boost version) to pair with it. Primary cans are Senn HD600.

Anyway I am running FW3.3 and I am really liking everything about this thing except:

(1) 5800 song limit in library. At 8500 songs and counting this makes the library useless to me so I deleted it and only browse folders.

(2) Cover art is cut off on sides and the semi transparent part at the bottom makes the track/file name hard to read in most theme colors. Cover art should be limited to a square space above a solid color display band at the bottom imo.

Anyone else share these complaints and know of plans to address these with future firmware updates? (sorry, I haven't read 1000 pages of discussions :xf_eek:)

About half of this thread is comprised of your two points, and echo what you say. Im not sure if FiiO will fix either issue with the current X3.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #14,472 of 17,484

(1) they addressed that and they are working on it ... it will be fixed 
(2) i don't know about that .. if they will fix this or not 

Jan 8, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #14,473 of 17,484
The 5800 limit, well i gave some how a **** to this, because 5800 is too much already
biggrin.gif
, now on my NWZ-A17 i have 9700 FLACs no limit restrictions oh yeah, no more cropped album art, the font is easier to read too, faster response... scan time well they seem to be as the same league on speed of scanning with SD and memory (internal) filled

Sound quality wise, the sony sound to my ears better and mre clean-sounding than the fiio x3, neutral sound, tought not as fun and musical as the fiio x3, yet the soundsatge is better on the sony

Fiio browsing ARTIST gives you all the songs... sony ARTIST>Album or All songs

Sony continues playing back the next "CD" (album) after the previous one ends, gapless works flawlessly

sony has file browser too, both card and local storage, both internal and SD card contents get integrated into a single database on the sony too

Annoying thing on the SONY and a What???? thing... to be able to use the microSD inside the player you must go to HOME>SD card settings> Storage Select> SD card instead of system storage... i meant to transfer files while connected to a PC

Sony scrolling speed of the text is faster, displays actual song title instead of file name

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #14,475 of 17,484
  Have you tried the FLAC on the X3? Maybe the data rate of the uncompressed wav is causing problems.

Not yet. However, I've just finished playing the WAV file set of "Fly From Here" from the microSD card via my PC and there were no such problems. I've now put the card back in the X3's slot.

I know we are talking about an uncompressed file structure, rather than the compression offered by FLAC, but they are only 16-bit files sampled at 44.1KHz and I would have expected the X3 to be able to cope with that.

I will check out the FLAC equivalent to see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back