The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 6, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #14,416 of 17,483
  I've been using the X3 for the better part of a year without issue while using a SanDisk Class 10 64GB Micro SD card. 

I just bought a new SandDisk Ultra Class 10 128GB Micro SD card and was wondering if its fine to format the card to exFAT like I did with the 64 GB card? I'm using the latest non-beta FW from FiiO. I'm assuming that I shouldn't have any issues with the 128GB card with the newest firmware that I've been running.

I only load the player with full folders/albums that have already been tagged and the files inside each folder are always FLAC.

Thanks in advance! 

I would say that formatting it in the X3 would lead to best result.

you could always try, of course :)

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #14,417 of 17,483
The 128GB card is in the player, I'm simply using Computer Management on my Windows 7 x64 PC to format the SD card while the X3's USB is plugged into the computer. That's the way I formatted the 64GB card and never had any problems but I haven't kept up to see if the player has any issues with 128GB cards and if it would require another type of format than exFAT. 

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #14,418 of 17,483
Does anyone know if you can use the Fiio LC-X3 with the Fiio HS15? From the look of it, it seems that one will have to cut some tiny holes on the left side of the protection for the rubber band but I'm not sure if the stacking frame of the HS15 can fit in the protection case of the LC-X3.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #14,419 of 17,483
Does anyone know if you can use the Fiio LC-X3 with the Fiio HS15? From the look of it, it seems that one will have to cut some tiny holes on the left side of the protection for the rubber band but I'm not sure if the stacking frame of the HS15 can fit in the protection case of the LC-X3.

I've got the HS15 and highly doubt that it will fit over the LC, it fits just perfect over the "naked" X3 so there's no room for something in between.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #14,420 of 17,483
Hey lads, anyone knows why my X3 wouldn't detect the m3u8 playlists that I made using foobar?
It has been like this from FW 3.22 I think but I ignored it since I thought I wouldn't use playlist, turned out I have to use it while riding my bicycle.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #14,421 of 17,483
Any news on how to fix the 'unknown artist' problem in firmware 3.30? Or is it just me having this problem? (tags used to read fine, but after installing 3.30 I get 'unknown artist' for every file)
Cheers

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #14,422 of 17,483
@Peter123: Thanks for the info, too bad the two of them are incompatible.
@Rozenburg: no idea, I don't use playlist but regular m3u are supposed to work, try to do a quick conversion in the meanwhile?
@Luc33: It's for everyone and FIIO is working on correcting this.

e/ @KLJTech : I would recommend you to convert to Fat32 because you can only update the firmware with fat32.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #14,423 of 17,483
  Any news on how to fix the 'unknown artist' problem in firmware 3.30? Or is it just me having this problem? (tags used to read fine, but after installing 3.30 I get 'unknown artist' for every file)
Cheers

I found that annoying enough that I have now just gone back to 3.22b. Other than the sleep timer toggle switch, I don't think 3.3 is much of an improvement over 3.22b.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #14,424 of 17,483

I would say that formatting it in the X3 would lead to best result.

you could always try, of course :)

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you meant and having not changed my X3's settings in so long I didn't realize that you could format the SD card from inside the menu of the X3. I was ALSO wrong about having my 64GB card formatted to exFAT, I must have been thinking about my multiple USB thumb drives because the 64GB MicroSD card that was in my X3 is in fact formatted to FAT32. Not exactly batting 1000 today. <grin>

I did go ahead and format the new 128GB card to FAT32 yet now I am wondering if there are advantages to having it run exFAT over FAT32 other than the file size limit in FAT32?

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #14,425 of 17,483
I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you meant and having not changed my X3's settings in so long I didn't realize that you could format the SD card from inside the menu of the X3. I was ALSO wrong about having my 64GB card formatted to exFAT, I must have been thinking about my multiple USB thumb drives because the 64GB MicroSD card that was in my X3 is in fact formatted to FAT32. Not exactly batting 1000 today.

I did go ahead and format the new 128GB card to FAT32 yet now I am wondering if there are advantages to having it run exFAT over FAT32 other than the file size limit in FAT32?

We all have those days :wink:

No worries :)

I can't tell you if there's an advantage in the X3, because i don't know what the X3's architecture was optimised for, i just know that using the on-board formatting tool is pretty much fool-proof and fault-proof.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #14,426 of 17,483
I used the X3 to format the 128GB card...I'll wait and see if anyone has found any advantages by using exFAT vs FAT32 with the X3. The file size limit hasn't bothered me as I think the largest album I have on the player is still under 2GB.

I've read that exFAT doesn't become fragmented as easy as FAT32 but how much that matters on a DAP running only 8GB and 128GB I have no idea.

From what I've read exFAT uses a free space bitmap just like other modern file systems. One of the major flaws of FAT32 is the rapid fragmentation of files. This is because the constant creation and deletion of files creates noncontiguous areas of free space. Does this matter on a DAP?...I have no idea. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #14,427 of 17,483
KLJ,

All of your technical arguments in favor of exFAT or possibly NTFS have merit. Nevertheless, the X3 for me seems to perform better with natively formatted memory cards (e.g. FAT32).
I actually copied all of my files off the card that was in exFAT, formatted the card in the unit, the copied everything back. I have far fewer problems now.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #14,428 of 17,483
My inaugural post to head-fi -- hello head-fi world.

I just recently purchased a new FiiO X3 player and I've been disappointed by the battery life. The specs (and posts here) suggested 10+ hours of playback time, but I'm getting only 4-5 hours.  

Is there anything I can/should be doing to optimize battery life?  I'm wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere.  Or maybe I got a lemon or otherwise have a hardware/software problem? 

Some playback details:

FLAC files (44/16) only, playing from a 64GB flash card
Low gain setting
Volume at average of ~70-80 using misc. headphones (DT770 Pro, mainly)
Screen set to turn off after (I think) 5 secs

Thanks for your help

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #14,429 of 17,483
  [....]

Some playback details:

FLAC files (44/16) only, playing from a 64GB flash card
Low gain setting
Volume at average of ~70-80 using misc. headphones (DT770 Pro, mainly)
Screen set to turn off after (I think) 5 secs

I forgot to note that it's running firmware version 3.2 (which is what came pre-installed).  

Thanks again for your thoughts...

Jan 6, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #14,430 of 17,483
I'm not trying to make any arguments for either format, I was asking if anyone found one to perform better than the other for the X3. I merely said that exFAT doesn't become fragmented as easy as FAT32 (from what I've read) and even then I'm not sure if that makes a difference when were talking about only 128GB and 8GB of storage in a DAP and I never mentioned NTFS.

I'm sorry if it came off like I was trying to convince anyone to switch formats. If anything I was asking for opinions if anyone had tried both exFAT and FAT32. I ended up using the player to format the card so it is set up in FAT32. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back