The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 1, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #14,386 of 17,484

Cool new fiio x3k
biggrin.gif
 hope is good enought but... well the vicious cycle like sony... Got a nice X3 and then in 2015... NEW X3K... in that moment. oooh my fiio x3 is now "obsolete", I want to buy the new one
biggrin.gif

sony does the same, I remember when i bought my A818 walkman then they released the A820 series and i was like what?????? b-b-but i have just bought last year's flagship model haha

Sony does this to give you the illusion that they update each year, but their actual update cycle in terms of sound and technology is closer to Cowon's 2-4 years.

Such is the Japanese culture that their brands have always done this since the cassette walkman days; sometimes the difference is just slightly different-looking buttons (just toggle a few lines in CAD software), and a token tweak so they can legally say the battery life has changed (but most likely the same in real-world use). The only time where they wouldn't conduct business this way, is when it can't be justified financially. Think a smaller company like Kenwood, or the A840/850 being the same externally because MP3 market had crashed.

Fiio operates more like Cowon, they don't take the trouble to put old wine in a new bottle just because they must release something new, and I think Fiio very much has a practical purpose of some kind each time they release a new product.

Yes i understand this that fiio is not like sony with ths BUY IT RIGHT NOW.. IT'S NEW,.

perhaps fiio makes it because to update the layout of the buttons, or as a "service pack" to include the latest firmware in a new user friendly wheel-style layout

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #14,388 of 17,484
Yes i understand this that fiio is not like sony with ths BUY IT RIGHT NOW.. IT'S NEW,.

perhaps fiio makes it because to update the layout of the buttons, or as a "service pack" to include the latest firmware in a new user friendly wheel-style layout
How about so Fiio's firmware can be unified...

Nailed it nmatheis.

What most users don't know is the X3 is a very old design (at least 2 years previous to the official release) and almost didn't make it to market. It was a test device for entering the DAP market. With its success FiiO decided to 'up the ante' with the X5 and begin a unified design and FW across devices. It works for the X5 and X1 because they were designed that way. The X3 is the older sibling that was stuck with less favourable genes. They have stated, long ago, that they will upgrade the X3 to be more in line with the current HW and FW design. Whether this actually will be the case remains to be seen.

They also have historically updated their products to keep with the times.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #14,390 of 17,484
Nailed it nmatheis.

What most users don't know is the X3 is a very old design (at least 2 years previous to the official release) and almost didn't make it to market. It was a test device for entering the DAP market. With its success FiiO decided to 'up the ante' with the X5 and begin a unified design and FW across devices. It works for the X5 and X1 because they were designed that way. The X3 is the older sibling that was stuck with less favourable genes. They have stated, long ago, that they will upgrade the X3 to be more in line with the current HW and FW design. Whether this actually will be the case remains to be seen.

They also have historically updated their products to keep with the times.

Is anyone considering upgrading to the X3K when it comes out? Personally, I'm not. I prefer the button layout, and the sound is great from my X3. No need for an amp, just playing FLAC bliss with my player. Im happy the way it is.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #14,391 of 17,484
Is anyone considering upgrading to the X3K when it comes out? Personally, I'm not. I prefer the button layout, and the sound is great from my X3. No need for an amp, just playing FLAC bliss with my player. Im happy the way it is.

I'm probably not up to date but is there anything besides speculation on what this mystical X3k could be?

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #14,393 of 17,484

I'm going to buy the X3K when it is released if it is what I believe it's going to be which is a redesigned X3 with a better build, a scroll wheel and better battery life but I won't be letting go of my X3 either.

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #14,394 of 17,484

I'm going to buy the X3K when it is released if it is what I believe it's going to be which is a redesigned X3 with a better build, a scroll wheel and better battery life but I won't be letting go of my X3 either.

I bought a sony walkman A17 64GB + microSD slot, but i won't let my X3 go away neither, in fact just waiting for the replacemnt to arrive, so i can tear down the kaputt unit

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #14,396 of 17,484
I bought a sony walkman A17 64GB + microSD slot, but i won't let my X3 go away neither, in fact just waiting for the replacemnt to arrive, so i can tear down the kaputt unit

And how does the Sony compares soundwise with the Fiio X3?

Good question. I looked at the specs for the Sony, and it's only 10mW output per channel. I'm not sure I could go without the power behind the X3.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #14,397 of 17,484

It really depends on what changes Fiio makes. If all they change is switch to a wheel, then no. I've gotten used to the button layout now. I'm waiting to hear if they change the opamp/DAC. There was talk long ago that maybe they didn't need to use a quite so powerful amp (and maybe a more neutral sounding one). I also think that Wolfson DAC is got to be pretty old by now and there got to be some better alternatives. So, if they do make some improvements to the sound quality, then yes I'll get a new one.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #14,398 of 17,484

Yes I've actually read about your problems with your X3 on here. I hope the replacement gets to you soon and the unit is trouble free. I'm sure it will be ok...when things are mass produced there are always a few duds. I think you were just unlucky. Mine has been working well for a year now.

Jan 4, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #14,399 of 17,484

And how does the Sony compares soundwise with the Fiio X3?

I bought it yesterday... it will arrive in 2 weeks approx according to sony mexico

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #14,400 of 17,484
My FiiO x3 literally burst , these are the images they prove

http://www.4shared.com/photo/XUCykhLJba/20150103_202513.html
http://www.4shared.com/photo/h1yeigatce/20150103_202522.html
http://www.4shared.com/photo/o2U_K7oQba/20150103_202625.html
http://www.4shared.com/photo/5PveofGece/20150103_202740.html

I'd need to know where I can buy the parts were broken , unfortunately not in warranty period ...
The battery swelled and this broke the display and also a memory of 16gb high speed, it was a disaster ...
Excuse my English

Users who are viewing this thread

Back