The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 9, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #13,186 of 17,484
sujitsky (on the X1 thread) discovered that the X1 will play 5.1 channel WAV files. I discovered that the X3 does it too. Obviously the DAP is folding-down the 5.1 channels into 2 channels, but it's nice to have this feature.

I have several old DTS CDs (from the days before DVD-A and SACD) that have been gathering dust in my closet.  (They just play as white noise, without a receiver with a DTS decoder.) I successfully converted one to WAV files (using iTunes) and dragged the folder into my X3. It was literally music to my ears. :) Now I can listen to them again, with my X3.

I tried dragging a file directly from the DTS CD (CD files/tracks are in AIFF format) but it just made the white noise. So it's restricted to WAV. (Maybe FLAC too?)

I also used DVD-Audio Extractor to extract a 5.1 channel WAV file from a DVD Audio disc, and that worked fine too. Since DVD-As usually have stereo versions too, which sound better with headphones, this isn't as useful. But it's still handy to know that the X1 and X3 can play them. (iTunes can't).

Oct 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #13,187 of 17,484
discovered something about X1 too ... it has a higher signal to noise ratio than X3 ! 
bigsmile_face.gif
 .... 110 db vs 105 db  ... with a less power amp ... so is it will be an upgrade over the X3 with iems ??

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #13,189 of 17,484
Hi guys, I would like to ask how does sound quality of X3 compare to sth like E10K as a DAC? I'm thinking about buying X1 because I want portable player but if X3 will be a big upgrade for PC DAC i might look into that. Please help.

Oct 10, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #13,190 of 17,484
  Hi guys, I would like to ask how does sound quality of X3 compare to sth like E10K as a DAC? I'm thinking about buying X1 because I want portable player but if X3 will be a big upgrade for PC DAC i might look into that. Please help.

I have the FiiO E10 and the sound quality from that when it is on flat easily compares to the X3. I would say they are both as good as each other in sound quality. I like that the X3 has both bass and treble EQ but I also really like that the E10 has a dial. I use the E10 with My PC at home and my X3 as a portable player. When I have tried out the X3 as a DAC, it also works well.

Oct 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #13,192 of 17,484
  So you're saying that theres not much difference between FiiO E10 and FiiO X3 as DAC? That helps a lot, Thanks.

If it is just sound quality you are after, there is very little difference. If you are after more EQ options and something that is capable of playing music its self then obviously the X3 is best. The E10 is great at just being a desktop headphone amplifier. I also find the line out on it very useful for my Hi-Fi amplifier and speakers. Much better than the sound card on my PC.
I don't know about the X1 but considering how much less it costs than the X3 I wouldn't have thought it would be quite as good in terms of sound quality. I could be wrong though.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #13,193 of 17,484
  thanks for the headphone advice above. but I have one more question would the Grado Prestige Series SR80e be  good  to bring out the cymbals in my music  I love how they look .

Hi
I have SR80e and X3.
Its sound amazing! Smooth and nice frequency response.
Also, I have E11. With E11 sound is more transparent and wider. I definitely prefer X3 + E11 with SR80e. And bonus X3 battery life with E11 connected to lineout gets couple hours more

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #13,194 of 17,484
 thanks for the headphone advice above. but I have one more question would the Grado Prestige Series SR80e be  good  to bring out the cymbals in my music  I love how they look .

Hi
I have SR80e and X3.
Also, I have E11. With E11 sound is more transparent and wider. I definitely prefer X3 + E11 with SR80e. And bonus X3 battery life with E11 connected to lineout get couple hours more

I also use the triplets x3 + e11k + sr80i and it's freaking amazing sounds out of it. :eek:

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #13,196 of 17,484
  Hi
I have SR80e and X3.
Also, I have E11. With E11 sound is more transparent and wider. I definitely prefer X3 + E11 with SR80e. And bonus X3 battery life with E11 connected to lineout gets couple hours more

I'm really surprised that you find the E11 to make the sound more transparent and wider. My impression is the total opposit and that the E11 makes the sound less clear and overly warm. Seems like you've found the best combination for you and your headphones though and that what counts.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #13,197 of 17,484
  I'm really surprised that you find the E11 to make the sound more transparent and wider. My impression is the total opposit and that the E11 makes the sound less clear and overly warm. Seems like you've found the best combination for you and your headphones though and that what counts.

I have the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s which are really bright in treble and very weak in the bass. The bass boost on the E11 is deeper sounding than on the X3 and it just goes with my headphones so well. I have it on bass boost 2. It does improve the soundstage ever so slightly too. Even the treble seems to sound more transparent. However, I use my K550s much more often with the X3 and the E11 doesn't improve the sound for them. Just shows that the E11 can improve some headphones and not others with the X3. The bass boost of the X3 works fine with my K550s. I use the bass EQ when I am traveling as there is more outside noise and the bass isn't as noticeable if I don't.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #13,198 of 17,484

I have the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s which are really bright in treble and very weak in the bass. The bass boost on the E11 is deeper sounding than on the X3 and it just goes with my headphones so well. I have it on bass boost 2. It does improve the soundstage ever so slightly too. Even the treble seems to sound more transparent. However, I use my K550s much more often with the X3 and the E11 doesn't improve the sound for them. Just shows that the E11 can improve some headphones and not others with the X3. The bass boost of the X3 works fine with my K550s. I use the bass EQ when I am traveling as there is more outside noise and the bass isn't as noticeable if I don't.

I agree, I've also got the AD700 and can certainly understand that adding the bass bost from the E11 will be good for them. Was just surprised about the comment of wider soundstage and more transparent sound but as I said: as long as he's happy that what counts 
beerchug.gif

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #13,199 of 17,484
I've tried two different fw's and 2 different SD cards, both formatted by the x3. One card has the progress bar, but gets interrupted with SD card read fail, the other card never makes it past the upgrade firmware screen, and a minute later gives the same error message. Advice?

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #13,200 of 17,484
I've tried two different fw's and 2 different SD cards, both formatted by the x3. One card has the progress bar, but gets interrupted with SD card read fail, the other card never makes it past the upgrade firmware screen, and a minute later gives the same error message. Advice?

Try to format one card in windows 7 using FAT32, then copy x3.fw to it. Get the latest firmware (3.21).

If it still doesn't work that way, I think we can assume that there is something wrong with the X3, not with sd cards. So in that case, I would contact FiiO support.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back