The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 19, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #12,917 of 17,483
So if you buy a headphone amp or dac for the X3 would it combine all powers to be the ultimate machine?
So if you buy a e17 would it use both the amp and dac of the x3 and the e17 or would one cancel out the other?

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #12,918 of 17,483
So if you buy a headphone amp or dac for the X3 would it combine all powers to be the ultimate machine?
So if you buy a e17 would it use both the amp and dac of the x3 and the e17 or would one cancel out the other?

The X3 has the same DAC and a slightly more powerful amp than the e17 (they essentially have the same sound signature) so it would be a waste to pair them together. Go for a more powerful portable amp like the e12 if you need to drive difficult headphones like planars, or else just use the X3 knowing it sounds like a better e17. :wink:

Edit: More direct to your question, they don't cancel out simply because you can only use one DAC or the other. DAC from the X3 or e17, not both. Similarly you can use the amp in the X3 or the amp in the e17 (or double amp but that would sound worse than using one amp - cleaner sound).

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #12,920 of 17,483
The X3 has the same DAC and a slightly more powerful amp than the e17 (they essentially have the same sound signature) so it would be a waste to pair them together. Go for a more powerful portable amp like the e12 if you need to drive difficult headphones like planars, or else just use the X3 knowing it sounds like a better e17.
wink.gif

Edit: More direct to your question, they don't cancel out simply because you can only use one DAC or the other. DAC from the X3 or e17, not both. Similarly you can use the amp in the X3 or the amp in the e17 (or double amp but that would sound worse than using one amp - cleaner sound).

yea alright then, I only started getting into this audio stuff last month so i am still learning,
I only have m50x's and Shure 215's so nothing really needs power, just curious :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #12,921 of 17,483
yea alright then, I only started getting into this audio stuff last month so i am still learning,
I only have m50x's and Shure 215's so nothing really needs power, just curious :)

No worries. Just remember, once a signal is converted from digital to analog with the DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) it'll stay that way and then it's on to the amplifier.

The X3 amplifier is plenty powerful enough for your headphones/IEM. :wink:

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #12,922 of 17,483
Does anyone have any screenshots of the new v3 firmware?
curious to see what it looks like before i buy one, i might even get x5 or downgrade to x1 with e17

Sep 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #12,924 of 17,483
  Hey guys.
After reading this forum for a while,  a couple of months ago I decided to finally buy the X3. 
I love the sound quality, like every one else, but I do have one important complaint, and I was wondering if you guys could help me:
My X3 freezes very often. I like to listen to songs on 'shuffle', and I skip them constantly. Unfortunately, my X3 freezes every time I start skipping songs... If I wait about 4 seconds in the song to skip it, it usually won't freeze, but if I skip away (like I'm used to do with the Clip+) it eventually freezes, sometimes just after the first or second 'skip'.

Anyone experimenting anything similar? Any ideas on what might be causing it?

I'm using a sandisk 64 microsd card, and the new firmware.

Thanks in advance :)  

an update, for what it's worth:

I have since deleted all my music from the device and sd card. I am now keeping only FLACs with no embedded album art. That way, the device is super responsive and quick, and hasn't frozen since, not even once. 
(my previous 'music' folder contained mostly mp3s, and a bunch of occasional random non-audio files... jpegs, even .docs or whatever I had in that folder in my computer, which is probably what was causing the X3 to freeze so often, I assume.)

And some suggestions:
Would be nice to have an option to disable album art display on the next firmware (deleting it can be a pain, and song skipping is so much slower with album art display). Would also be nice to be able to access the sound settings from the quick menu (to change bass / treble without having to navigate til there.)

redface.gif

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #12,926 of 17,483
  Hi there,
Switched the X3 to my beloved Marantz SR4500 coax digital in. The sound is quite acceptable with MS902s. But 192/24 doesnt work. Just curious - anybody have something similar? 

When tested by HiFi World the digital output was found to be max 96k (maybe the design logic was that some DACs can accept a max. of 96k and it was thought better to limit output at that than to have it not played at all)

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #12,928 of 17,483
Any idea to combine the truthfulness, space, awesome mids and highs of line out with the more interesting (coloured?) and joyful bass of headphone out? (especially with electronic music)

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #12,929 of 17,483
So, after much delay from UPS (mostly my own fault), I have received my very first DAP. I had and ruined a pair of Yamaha EPH-100s and am using some Shure SE215s until I can comfortably afford some Sennheiser IE80s. In my 1 hour of experience, I am in love. Deeply, madly in love. Will update as I go along (just not tonight. Tonight's drink time)

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #12,930 of 17,483
 Originally Posted by bestula /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any idea to combine the truthfulness, space, awesome mids and highs of line out with the more interesting (coloured?) and joyful bass of headphone out? (especially with electronic music)

Comment:  line out to equalizer or live with the headphone out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back