The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 9, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #12,091 of 17,483
@MP3guy  Not really. Those are just calculations that show how much power is used by headphones of those 3 impedances. It's based on maximum output level of 2.94 volts rms.
Ohms law states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance. So, for 16 ohms, the current is 2.94 / 16 = 184mA. The power formula is current (A) times voltage. 2.94 * 184mA = 542mW.
Get it?

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #12,093 of 17,483
OK. Charged, and up and running. Couple of tips. Forget formatting the SD card internally. Install the card, plug the X3 in, right click on the card when your desktop finds it, and format from there. Over and out.

With the firmware update, download, unzip, and drag the file right on to the SD card. Unplug the unit from the desktop, then do the "two button tango" and you're good to go.

Instructions are needlessly complicated.

First impressions on sound quality are "meh." I know some people have mentioned it needs a little break in, but I want to fool with the unit a bit more as well.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #12,097 of 17,483
Sure. Just save a copy of 2.1 in case you want to downgrade. You might want to try out 2.14 beta with volume mod, as well. A lot of us thought something special happened with that release.

nmatheis,

Could you please elaborate on the 2.14 beta with volume mod and what it does that is special. I have 3.0 but always willing to try something new.

Cheers.

Edit: never mind, a search answered my question. Bit lazy on Sundays.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #12,098 of 17,483

I think so- if I read you right, the headphones DRAW the level of power from the amp. (maybe....)

Right. So they tell you this stuff in case you want to make at least a partially technical decision about the headphones you use.
Why it matters is the more power drawn, the higher the operating temperature, and the shorter the battery life. It might indicate how loud the headphones are but not exactly. I use 32 ohm headphones and the are way loud. On soft music the highest I can set the volume is 86 before it hurts, and on loud music the highest is 76.
I think most people make a mostly aesthetic decision on headphones though.
Seems like you're pretty good with computer stuff. Helps a lot to avoid mess ups when getting started with X3.

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #12,099 of 17,483
I liked a lot of things about 2.1. That was a big problem which was how bad Mp3s sounded. There was just this constant hissing/crackling sound in the background which was very noticeable on quiet tracks and also between a song ending and the next one starting. It was only that I think that made me want to upgrade.

Aug 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #12,103 of 17,483
Quick DSD question: is the X3 transcoding DSD files to 24bit/88.2kHz PCM, or is it playing them natively?  The X3's screen displays the correct info for the .dff files I'm playing.

When using it as a DAC, DSD is transcoded to 24bit/176.4kHz PCM.

Has anyone tried loading any SACD.iso material, without extracting individual files?

Aug 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #12,104 of 17,483
  I've been hearing sq changes on different firmwares, just wondering if there's any with the 3.00EX. 

Exfat is the only item ion the changelog...

Quick DSD question: is the X3 transcoding DSD files to 24bit/88.2kHz PCM, or is it playing them natively?  The X3's screen displays the correct info for the .dff files I'm playing.

When using it as a DAC, DSD is transcoded to 24bit/176.4kHz PCM.

Has anyone tried loading any SACD.iso material, without extracting individual files?

Both X3 and X5 convert DSD to PCM. Neither have native playback. You'd be wasting your time with SACD.iso as only the individual uncompressed DSD files are supported.
The DSD files are much larger than their converted flac equivalent, so not much point transferring them to your SD card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back