The Fiio X3 Thread.
Aug 8, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #12,046 of 17,481
What?? You want clean and airy sounding and you did a comparison with 'Wicked Game' ? Something isn't right here. That track is the musical equivalent to a TV commercial. Crushed to death victim of the loudness wars. The master sounds just like an MP3. How do expect to tell the difference? I have the same sound board you refer to in my DAW. The biggest difference is the PC noise floor. Not there with X3. Are you using the 'X-Fi Crystalizer'? Could make a difference.
Also X3 has the superior DAC. X5 uses a dated TI unit that even the mfg. no longer supports. Go figure.
Try making a comparison with a true purist engineered track. A new listening experience maybe, but if your heading for Hi Def  lossless audio it may change.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3z85tm6jgbabi58/Patron_Saint_of_Girls.flac

I really liked the X3, but disagree that the DAC is superior to the TI implementation in the X5. Many people who have gone from X3 to X5 have found the exact same thing and prefer the X5. However YMMV, sound sig preference and all that.

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #12,047 of 17,481
  What?? You want clean and airy sounding and you did a comparison with 'Wicked Game' ? Something isn't right here. That track is the musical equivalent to a TV commercial. Crushed to death victim of the loudness wars. The master sounds just like an MP3. How do expect to tell the difference? I have the same sound board you refer to in my DAW. The biggest difference is the PC noise floor. Not there with X3. Are you using the 'X-Fi Crystalizer'? Could make a difference.
Also X3 has the superior DAC. X5 uses a dated TI unit that even the mfg. no longer supports. Go figure.
Try making a comparison with a true purist engineered track. A new listening experience maybe, but if your heading for Hi Def  lossless audio it may change.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3z85tm6jgbabi58/Patron_Saint_of_Girls.flac

hey thanks for the file, but i must say it was painful to listen to that =). of course i didnt use just wicked game for comparison. what do you mean with purist engineered track? do you have something cleaner sounding maybe?

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #12,048 of 17,481
Whilst waiting for my X3 to arrive, I found an old Samsung 8 GB micro SD card, right where I left it ages ago, from God knows what obsolete camera/Rio MP3 player/whoknowswhat. Which should make my firmware update a freebie. In the meantime, my unit has shipped from Urbancrest, Ohio (just outside of Columbus) and now resides in Edgewood, NY, a town you could skip if you blink. Anyway, anticipation awaits.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #12,049 of 17,481

hey thanks for the file, but i must say it was painful to listen to that =). of course i didnt use just wicked game for comparison. what do you mean with purist engineered track? do you have something cleaner sounding maybe?

Interesting you should say that, since the file has not been downloaded yet. Oh, do my statistics lie?
How about a file filled with zeros, that would be clean enough?

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #12,051 of 17,481
@ghost-rider

You need to check out the Havi B3 Pro1 (original)!

Thanks, I will. I never heard of them before by the way. are they in the similar league as the other ones i mentioned? 

People really have to have heard those IEM's on an X3 to give you answers. The best place to ask would be in ljokersl thread that covers 319 IEM's.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-319-iems-compared-t-peos-d200r-added-08-01-14-p-947

Or in the specific threads of either the DUNU 1000 / 2000 etc...

Thanks. I actually did that some reading on that page. But I was wanting to know what the IEMs that work best with X3? or may for for the X3+E12 combo? something that truly matches. I like more musical,warm sound than too much analytical. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #12,052 of 17,481
Thanks. I actually did that some reading on that page. But I was wanting to know what the IEMs that work best with X3? or may for for the X3+E12 combo? something that truly matches. I like more musical,warm sound than too much analytical. 

Sorry I can't help with IEM's, I enjoy the DT880 Pro's, GMP8.300D Pro's and the T50RP's (DBV3 Mod) with the X3/E12 combo. Someone else will chime in with a good IEM pairing for you though.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #12,053 of 17,481
  i expected x3 to sound like a better version of iphone 5. x3 is abit too dark sounding, i expected better resolution, cleanness, nice body, volume and soundstage, without shrill highs. disadvantage of iphone is that its sometimes too bright. why is it so hard to get a clean and detailed sound like my desktop system. which player would you recommend to me? i cant even change the sound of x3 because theres no eq...so stupid. how can a player without any EQ be rated so high.

and they put some binaural tracks in internal storage to make it sound good..ridiculous. even that doesnt sound amazing.

For what it's worth, my first 10 hours or so of listening to the X3 were similarly unimpressive, as were the first hours with the X5. Both improved quite a bit after 20 plus hours. I was actually very unimpressed with the X3 at first. Now it's a fave. 

( with both players I charged them up, left them connected to the charger and let them play into headphones for days and that helped)

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #12,054 of 17,481
  ( with both players I charged them up, left them connected to the charger and let them play into headphones for days and that helped)

Catch 'em young treat 'em rough and never tell 'em nothin'
wink_face.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #12,056 of 17,481
@ghost-rider
Yes they should be at least on par with your suggestions (better on soundstage and separation).

They also sound good with the x3 and amazing with the x3/e12 combo for a IEM they're very hard to drive and love a lot of power).

Check out this thread for more information:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/1395#post_10782078

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #12,057 of 17,481
  Interesting you should say that, since the file has not been downloaded yet. Oh, do my statistics lie?
How about a file filled with zeros, that would be clean enough?

Wow... What the hell? So uncalled for. @micro-Good job exposing the fraud. I'm downloading now... Thank you for sharing.

exposing the fraud?? are you out of your mind? just because i didnt like your music you are making me a liar? i dont know about your "statistics" but i dled and listened to it on both x3 and my desktop. and yes, even "tv commercial wicked game" sounds much better than the file you uploaded, thats why i asked for something cleaner.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #12,059 of 17,481
Might have to start handing out chill pills to a few people ߘɮ

Where have all the quaaludes gone, Long time passing...

Sign me up!
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back