The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 12, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #11,386 of 17,484
Well, now, some posters say format the card in the X3, but with the X3 refusing to recognize the card no such thing is possible. What do they call that, a 'catch 22' ? Chicken or the egg, whatever. No, seriously, the first thing I did was install fw3.0. Unit came with a pre-formatted 64G card and would not recognize the card.

There is a bug in the current firmware whereby the X3 won't format a card to FAT32 until it had been formatted to something it recognises - NTFS or FAT32, possibly only FAT32. As you say...a bit "chicken or the egg". It has been mentioned in a couple of threads but I haven't seen any acknowledgement of it. Maybe the latest beta, which works with exFAT, will be the solution...

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #11,388 of 17,484
Jul 12, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #11,389 of 17,484
My X3 gets warm but not hot to the extent of dropping it 
wink.gif

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #11,390 of 17,484
But i dont think it warm, it really hot!

Warm is normal. If it feels hot to the touch, then you might have a problem. Like fresh cup of coffee hot.
This is assuming that it wasn't left heating in the sun at the same time it was playing.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #11,392 of 17,484
Warm is normal. If it feels hot to the touch, then you might have a problem. Like fresh cup of coffee hot.
This is assuming that it wasn't left heating in the sun at the same time it was playing.

When I have had my X3 in my pocket for over an hour, it does get much warmer than my previous player. Not to hot to touch though.

I'm using in my room with air condition on, it hot like a fresh coffee hot. I'm assuming I got a faulty one :frowning2:

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #11,393 of 17,484
I'm using in my room with air condition on, it hot like a fresh coffee hot. I'm assuming I got a faulty one
frown.gif

Maybe contact FiiO and describe your problem or if your X3 is still in warranty, ask the the company you bought the X3 from.
I have found FiiO's customer service very helpful lately so I would ask them first to see if they say its normal. If it is that hot, I don't think it is normal.

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #11,394 of 17,484
Any recommendation of an affordable desktop amp that exceeds the e12? Somebody recommended the JDS Labs O2 here but in the review of the e12 it actually says that it is inferior. Nothing against the e12 in principle but since i'm going to use the amp on my computer i might as well squeeze as much as i can out of my money, portability being hardly an issue. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #11,395 of 17,484
aangn; Well, that explains the mystery. It wasn't very nice of the seller to send me an incompatible card. But thanks to Head-Fi a solution was available and saved me further grief.
I should mention that I only reviewed posts from the release of fw3.0 on. To avoid confusion.
It just occurred to me, looking at these recent posts, that I have never plugged my X3 in to my computer via USB.
I think perhaps I never will...considering.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #11,396 of 17,484
  Any recommendation of an affordable desktop amp that exceeds the e12? Somebody recommended the JDS Labs O2 here but in the review of the e12 it actually says that it is inferior. Nothing against the e12 in principle but since i'm going to use the amp on my computer i might as well squeeze as much as i can out of my money, portability being hardly an issue. 

take a look to Schitt magni 

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #11,397 of 17,484

E12 DIY version is still available on Amazon and is great. Not a desktop amp per se, but it does provide very high quality sound. Check out the dedicated thread.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #11,398 of 17,484
The E09K is a good little desktop amp as well with all the power you need to drive just about any headphone.

Lots of inputs and outputs as well, even works as a PreAmp.

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #11,399 of 17,484
The E09K is a good little desktop amp as well with all the power you need to drive just about any headphone.

Lots of inputs and outputs as well, even works as a PreAmp.

Agreed - the E9 and it's successor the E09K are great desktop amps. It's inexpensive, yet it will drive headphones like the Sennheiser HD800. Not necessarily to the best the HD800 can sound, but it does a pretty decent job. I kinda wish I hadn't sold my E9 with my E17. I'm now in waiting mode to see if Fiio is going to follow through and deliver the rumored E19 (successor to E17) and a new companion desktop amp to go with it. In the meantime I'm now using my X3 and feeding the line out to my RSA Intruder, which then drives my HD800s in balanced mode.

Dale

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #11,400 of 17,484
I'm using an E9i at my desktop currently. Never got around to putting together a desktop setup due to tons of portable listening. ATM my desktop setup is my x3 into that E9i, which I have to admit is enjoyable for gaming. I really should consider a dedicated dac, but probably something simple like a hifimediy. I have to admit tho, the x3's versatility has been utterly wonderful to me.

Oh, and the reason why I have the e9i is it was dirt cheap, around 40 I think, and I still run my rockbox iPod 5th gen from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back