The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 6, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #11,266 of 17,484
Well I never heard the X 5, but I guess it is also taste.  I not want to try the X 5. First it is a big investment. Second I love the X3 for his musicality. It combines a non aggressive sound, warmth and transparency. I not need more clarity, especially on the "line out". On my headphones it sounds a tag less clear, but on the line out it is just perfect.  The bass is even a bit too transparent at times, but as my room is not threatened,  this is not a bad thing.  I am really enjoying MUSIC, on my headphone, and on my B&W 800 D. Detail and emotion....

I agree it's all a matter of taste. :wink:

I really liked the X3 when I had it and sometimes miss the hardware bass/treble control as they sounded very good to me when I used them.

Enjoy what you have if it's working for you.

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #11,267 of 17,484

The X5 is actually slightly less powerful than the X3, but it has much more clarity, especially the line out. It sounds like you're looking for better dynamics and the e12 will give that to you in your situation IMO. For 130 bucks how can you go wrong!
smily_headphones1.gif

I did the same path. I sold my X3 to a friend and bought an X5. I like the X5 much more and it sounds very clear, natural and detailed to me. The UI is also faster and there are virtually no freezes on the X5 compared to the X3 (fw2.10 was the last I used), I highly recommend the X5/e12 combo.

Well I never heard the X 5, but I guess it is also taste.  I not want to try the X 5. First it is a big investment. Second I love the X3 for his musicality. It combines a non aggressive sound, warmth and transparency. I not need more clarity, especially on the "line out". On my headphones it sounds a tag less clear, but on the line out it is just perfect.  The bass is even a bit too transparent at times, but as my room is not threatened,  this is not a bad thing.  I am really enjoying MUSIC, on my headphone, and on my B&W 800 D. Detail and emotion....

Okay, I don't mean to sound snarky, and of course you have the right to choose or not choose any particular product for any reason, but I find it a little strange that you mention as one of the first and main reasons why you don't want an X5, which you have never heard, is that it's a big investment and yet you then go on to mention that you own B&W 800D loudspeakers. I find it difficult to swallow that someone who has purchased a pair of loudspeakers that have a list price well in excess of $20k could categorize a $350 portable music player as a big investment.

Having owned both the X3 and now currently the X5 I can tell you that it's about much more than just a small increase in clarity that separates the two players when discussing sound. Yes, the X5 provides an increase in clarity and a blacker background when compared to the X3, but more than that, there is just an overall more accurate, natural and refined sound to the X5. There is an innate rightness to it's sound that was immediately evident to me when I compared the two head to head with identical files.

Jul 6, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #11,268 of 17,484
  Okay, I don't mean to sound snarky, and of course you have the right to choose or not choose any particular product for any reason, but I find it a little strange that you mention as one of the first and main reasons why you don't want an X5, which you have never heard, is that it's a big investment and yet you then go on to mention that you own B&W 800D loudspeakers. I find it difficult to swallow that someone who has purchased a pair of loudspeakers that have a list price well in excess of $20k could categorize a $350 portable music player as a big investment.

Having owned both the X3 and now currently the X5 I can tell you that it's about much more than just a small increase in clarity that separates the two players when discussing sound. Yes, the X5 provides an increase in clarity and a blacker background when compared to the X3, but more than that, there is just an overall more accurate, natural and refined sound to the X5. There is an innate rightness to it's sound that was immediately evident to me when I compared the two head to head with identical files.

First of all, my B&W 800 D are second hand.  I have a problem in my room, that is difficult to solve. So with a very good Cd player like ab Accuphase, that has a more powerful bass, the heights are gone, and i get a muddy sound. Room treatment is possible, only if I change my lay out and sit far from the windows, in the dark.

Second, as the X 3 is very transparent, less power on the bass, I now have clarity enough, and not want more.  I am happy as it is. Sure maybe there is probably some colorization, the X 5, probably not has. But I am enjoying music so much now, I am not wanting to change a thing.  It not mean, I would not like to hear the X 5 performing. But I am not in vesting in another player, when I only hear it is brighter, what i absolutely not need.  Sometimes just enjoy what you have.......  But you can lent me your X 5, no problem, to convince me...  

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #11,271 of 17,484
  Hey guys!

Is there a way to disable cover art in newer firmwares? Skipping songs is painfully slow with cover art appearing :frowning2:

Thanks! I will do the same I guess, can we request this feature to be restored in the following f/w update?

Yes have a look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720781/announcing-the-all-new-x3-firmware-3-0/15#post_10609957

But anyway I can't undertand to remove this switch, only because the most people want a cover art, this small option is not a technical big deal or is in general a problem.

Increase the amount of votes for "Bug 52 Toggle between Artwork and Lyrics display easily" so FiiO might become convinced to bring this little option back
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #11,272 of 17,484

IMO a loudspeaker to dap price ratio of 100:1 makes a lot of sense, if the dap has all the features you need. I wouldn't call the dap a big investment, though. Did you compare the line out of both X3 and X5 or just the headphone out? I could imagine that the headphone out is significantly better on the X5. You may also like its UI better.

I have the X3 and would only consider buying another dap, if the X3 breaks or the other dap has a network interface and supports DLNA and a powerful parametric EQ. I guess my next dap will be a capable smartphone, unless the X3 dies before one gets available. If you mind pairing your dap with an external amp, you're in a completely different game, though.

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #11,274 of 17,484
IMO a loudspeaker to dap price ratio of 100:1 makes a lot of sense, if the dap has all the features you need. I wouldn't call the dap a big investment, though. Did you compare the line out of both X3 and X5 or just the headphone out? I could imagine that the headphone out is significantly better on the X5. You may also like its UI better.

I have the X3 and would only consider buying another dap, if the X3 breaks or the other dap has a network interface and supports DLNA and a powerful parametric EQ. I guess my next dap will be a capable smartphone, unless the X3 dies before one gets available. If you mind pairing your dap with an external amp, you're in a completely different game, though.

The X5 amp is inferior to the X3 amp. I can confirm this from having owned both. The X5 DAC implementation is far ahead of the X3 in my opinion and the DAC and line out is where the real difference lies. I can also confirm the UI works much faster on the X5 and, to me, a large step forward over the X3.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #11,275 of 17,484
The X5 amp is inferior to the X3 amp. I can confirm this from having owned both. The X5 DAC implementation is far ahead of the X3 in my opinion and the DAC and line out is where the real difference lies. I can also confirm the UI works much faster on the X5 and, to me, a large step forward over the X3.

Like I said I never heard the X5.  But what I do know, and God knows why, it sounds the best I ever heard here on very expensive gear.  First balance is finally very good, highs are very present now, but never aggressive, bass is deep, when it is in the mix and are never invading. I played "Broken English", from Marianne Faithfull last and heard things, I never  knew they were there. My system with an Accuphase Dsp 67 or the Oppo 93 sounded dull, closed, for years I tried to balance the sound.  Finally mids and highs open up.

Sure the X 3 Dac is transparent. But probably lacks dynamics, that suits the room well and compensate that bigger bass that the room amplifies. On another installation, same in different room, the result would probably be less good.

Now instead of buying a X 5, it would be more logical to buy a real external Dac, there I could follow some comments, as it would be dedicated to the stereo. It would have also the advantage to use a better wiring to my Mark Levinson amp.  But hifi is weird, how can this sound so good? All I know with this or another external dac, I never go back to a cd player or  a Mediaplayer. I love to select my music, also when outside with my tablet, it is all so easy to use. And if the Dac of the X 3 has shortcomings, it now sound all so good!

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #11,276 of 17,484
Like I said I never heard the X5.  But what I do know, and God knows why, it sounds the best I ever heard here on very expensive gear.  First balance is finally very good, highs are very present now, but never aggressive, bass is deep, when it is in the mix and are never invading. I played "Broken English", from Marianne Faithfull last and heard things, I never  knew they were there. My system with an Accuphase Dsp 67 or the Oppo 93 sounded dull, closed, for years I tried to balance the sound.  Finally mids and highs open up.

Sure the X 3 Dac is transparent. But probably lacks dynamics, that suits the room well and compensate that bigger bass that the room amplifies. On another installation, same in different room, the result would probably be less good.

Now instead of buying a X 5, it would be more logical to buy a real external Dac, there I could follow some comments, as it would be dedicated to the stereo. It would have also the advantage to use a better wiring to my Mark Levinson amp.  But hifi is weird, how can this sound so good? All I know with this or another external dac, I never go back to a cd player or  a Mediaplayer. I love to select my music, also when outside with my tablet, it is all so easy to use. And if the Dac of the X 3 has shortcomings, it now sound all so good!

I was commenting to clarify headdict's comment about the headphone out and differences between the X5 and X3.

Like I said, if you're happy then great! :wink:

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #11,277 of 17,484
I need some help with my MicroSD 128GB card. I bought a SanDisk 128GB card and my Fiio X3 wont format it nor recognize it. My understanding is that the new firmware was supposed to support a 128GB card, but every time I try to format the card using the X3 it says that no TF card is detected. I was able to format the card to FAT32 using SDFormatter, but when I try to use it the X3 gives me an error that the file format is not compatible. Is there something I'm missing? Has anyone else have these issues when trying to use a 128GB card? Is there anything I need to do in order to get the card to work? It doesn't seem to be an issue with the card itself as I'm able to format it using my computer and I can add files to it without a problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #11,279 of 17,484
Thanks! I ran a "Quick Format" using Gui format.exe, but that didn't work. I'm running a full format and set the allocation unit to 32768 (default value) - I'm hoping this works. I will let you know. Thanks for the information!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back