The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 4, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #11,252 of 17,484
  is this normal? :
i have files on player and card; i update to 3.0ex, after finishing update it tells me there are no songs to update. files are still in place.

Don't think so. I had files in the internal memory. I updated to 3.0ex (with an empty fat32 card only with the x3.fw file). After the update I inserted a exFAT with music and did a manual update. It found all the songs. Same when I inserted a fat32 card after.
(Maybe this should god t in the FiiO X3 beta firmware 3.00EX thread?)

Jul 4, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #11,253 of 17,484
  Hey guys!

Is there a way to disable cover art in newer firmwares? Skipping songs is painfully slow with cover art appearing :frowning2:

No sorry. No way I asked already but they completely removed this on/off switch for cover view in the latest firmware... I edited all my FLAC and MP3 file with the tool "Mp3tag" and removed all cover files from my music files. I know not a great solution, but it works.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #11,256 of 17,484
  Thanks! I will do the same I guess, can we request this feature to be restored in the following f/w update?

Yes have a look here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720781/announcing-the-all-new-x3-firmware-3-0/15#post_10609957

But anyway I can't undertand to remove this switch, only because the most people want a cover art, this small option is not a technical big deal or is in general a problem.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #11,257 of 17,484
Is the x5 more powerful than the x3?

It really feels i just need a little bit more power, something to the make the frequencies sound more alive and juicy; Volume wise the x3 is more than enough so that's not a problem. I have a friend who wants an x3, i was thinking of giving him mine and use the money for an e12 to upgrade to an x5 instead. 

The X5 is actually slightly less powerful than the X3, but it has much more clarity, especially the line out. It sounds like you're looking for better dynamics and the e12 will give that to you in your situation IMO. For 130 bucks how can you go wrong! :)

I did the same path. I sold my X3 to a friend and bought an X5. I like the X5 much more and it sounds very clear, natural and detailed to me. The UI is also faster and there are virtually no freezes on the X5 compared to the X3 (fw2.10 was the last I used), I highly recommend the X5/e12 combo.

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #11,260 of 17,484
The first question that comes to mind is what price range you're looking at.

Probably should've mentioned that. I'm thinking ~$500 max (hopefully lower to save for an optiional amp) . Since I'd probably only use them with the x3 (maybe with an e12 or other amp down the road), it probably won't be worth spending much more. Also while listening at home I'll keep the x3 plugged into my laptop and stream music off my NAS 90% of the time so high gain draining the battery isn't going to be an issue.

Headphone Commute, eh...

I like my Somic EFI-82 MT for a good, cheap beater pair of HP. Sound much better than the price suggests. Good all-arounder.

For higher-end listening, I use HiFiMan HE400. These are being replaced by the HE400i, which are more expensive but are lighter and look like they've got a much more ergonomic headband. HE400 are on sale accordingly. They'd be a good choice for your listening preferences, as well.

So, what end of the HC spectrum do you prefer - abstract electronic, modern/minimalist classical, noise? I'm really digging Pan Sonic's Oksastus - brutally beautiful
smily_headphones1.gif

A fan of the site I assume....
I'm an old school rivet-head. Grew up on Skinny Puppy, LPD (plus most of their offshoots), FLA. Of course can't always be po'd all of the time, so I have been listening to a fair bit of the modern classical (Olafur Arnalds, Einauldi) too (also the reason for the stoner metal). Just grabbed the Max Richter 4 Seasons reconstruct. Merzbow when I'm in the mood. I'm pretty easy to please, just not so much the club oriented stuff.

Jul 5, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #11,264 of 17,484
For it's price, the HF is the most analytical IEM that I am aware of.  It's the little brother/sister of Ety's ER4, which is essentially a baseline for your preference.  The thing to keep in mind is, even if you're not a basshead, there are people that feel it has no bass whatsoever.  It does very well with music where bass can get in the way of clarity, like many classical pieces.  I know I personally do not enjoy alt rock with it, as I feel more bass than it provides is needed on quite a few songs in order to improve enjoyment.  While I haven't heard it, I suspect from what I've read that the Colorfly C3 might be a better pairing for the HF.  Then again, the X3 may give the HF what it lacks.  I just never got around to trying my HF5 with my X3, typically using my Dunu DN-K for classical instead with it.  I'll try to remember to test them together soon.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #11,265 of 17,484
The X5 is actually slightly less powerful than the X3, but it has much more clarity, especially the line out. It sounds like you're looking for better dynamics and the e12 will give that to you in your situation IMO. For 130 bucks how can you go wrong!
smily_headphones1.gif

I did the same path. I sold my X3 to a friend and bought an X5. I like the X5 much more and it sounds very clear, natural and detailed to me. The UI is also faster and there are virtually no freezes on the X5 compared to the X3 (fw2.10 was the last I used), I highly recommend the X5/e12 combo.

Well I never heard the X 5, but I guess it is also taste.  I not want to try the X 5. First it is a big investment. Second I love the X3 for his musicality. It combines a non aggressive sound, warmth and transparency. I not need more clarity, especially on the "line out". On my headphones it sounds a tag less clear, but on the line out it is just perfect.  The bass is even a bit too transparent at times, but as my room is not threatened,  this is not a bad thing.  I am really enjoying MUSIC, on my headphone, and on my B&W 800 D. Detail and emotion....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back