The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 5, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #10,756 of 17,484
I like the case. It's profile looks better than the official leather case I have now.
Quote:
The all new leather X3?
wink.gif

http://www.fiio.net/products/index.aspx?ID=100000049251344&MenuID=105026009

Jun 5, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #10,757 of 17,484
I knew something about this player looked really familiar, it uses the exact same CPU as the X3 does, Cirrus DAC instead of Wolfson...

Here is the Head-Fi Review - http://www.head-fi.org/t/721487/review-of-hidizs-ap100-portable-hifi-music-player

FiiO should hire these guys to hammer out a fully working firmware since this player looks to have all the features we need, already completed.

Jun 5, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #10,760 of 17,484
Mr. Bloggs,

Great update. Sounds fantastic.  But, my question below is a deal breaker for me, I can't be loyal to Fiio if such a basic concern is not fixed, soon.  

How long will it be until the 5800 file limit is fixed via external memory?

Cheers.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #10,761 of 17,484
Jun 6, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #10,762 of 17,484
I put 3.0 firmware. There are some issues which make me to go back to 2.1:

- gain and balance were removed from DAC mode menu - i need them
- UI looks nicer but it's less intuitive and more complicated, you have to press multiple times to do same actions - reach music settings, increase volume, bass, treble, and so on
- long press on back (upper-left) button brings up a circular menu hard to browse, the 3 horizontal lines option does nothing, goes back to play screen, changing play mode works but also goes back to play screen; so to go to next play mode you have to bring up circular menu again; this is easily done in play settings but circular menu is called "quick", is not in this case :)
- list type menu is easier to browse then 2x3 grid - with diagonal buttons, focus has to go right, down, right, down; when changing e.g. volume level, they control a circular progress "bar" - so they do same stuff (up-down control) in different manners which is not too consistent.
- song title, artist and freq/bit rate disappear from play screen after 2-3 seconds - this might be set up somewhere but i don't know where
- i think i like more sound signature on 2.1 firmware (not that quality is lower in 3.0)  - this and first point are the most important

Anyway, i like x3, i also use it to listen on big speakers thus avoiding space waste of cd players or pc/laptop.

Question (maybe it was discussed): is there any chance to make x3 work as amp for android devices using otg cables? thanks.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #10,763 of 17,484
I agree with you about all points , except I like the sound of 3.0 more. I also sometimes have lag on 3.0 when playing 24 bit and WAVE. The only real upgrade is the SQ and the fast forward button response. The rest is real downgrade. I see that FiiO doesn't have enough engineers and work on another projects...However, if you start doing something you should do it the way it must be. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #10,764 of 17,484
Just installed FW3 on my X3.
Forgive me if this has been mentioned - I had a search, but can't find any info:

FW3:
When I now browse files I see ".spotlight", ".trashes" "system information"
I don't want to see these things at all, and certainly don't wish to have to browse past them all the time.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks
T

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #10,765 of 17,484
Forgive me if this has been mentioned - I had a search, but can't find any info:

FW3:
I don't want to see these things at all, and certainly don't wish to have to browse past them all the time.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks
T

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=trashes&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=651769&advanced=1

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #10,766 of 17,484

FW3:
Any Suggestions?

Thanks
T
Here is your answer on this post.
www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/10680#post_10598507

That previous answer link was strange... :D

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #10,768 of 17,484
So for anyone else on OSX - that needs to know:
I opened the X3 in terminal went to the root folder
ls -la shows all the files
rm the specific files
rm -r if they are folders

to delete System Volume Information:
rm -r "System Volume Information"/

The best app I found is "Blue Harvest", as you can set it up to keep non OSX discs clean of OSX data. (30 day free trial, $14.95 US full).
note: BH didn't work with the Micro SD inserted into the X3 for some reason, but they did when put into the card reader.

Of course, I am sure others have their own way, and if they are easier then please say (I seem to remember an action script that did this - but it's been a while since I was on OSX).

I'll probably go with blue harvest as I will be doing this a fair amount.

Thanks
T

>>>EDIT:
I will check out EJECT for MAC as well
Thanks for your replies, feeling a bit dumb now.....as I remember blue harvest from before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back