The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 4, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #10,726 of 17,484
Not a good sign. Is there anything on the ad that says you can not return it? If not, ebay will support a claim against the seller if the product was misrepresented in the ad and would not honor a return request.
They can't do anything about the serial number. It should have been on the box as well, so you could go to FiiO and authenticate it. If the seller said no returns, or you are past a limit of 7 days, etc. you may have to bite this one.

I sold a netbook on ebay and clearly said no returns because you really have no control over what someone may do to a device when they get it. Even then the buyer complained about how it worked, and I sent several emails to try to help him resolve any issues. He started to get nasty so I stopped helping. He never took my advice anyway. LOL.. but most ebay dealings I've had have been flawless. And I've had hundreds.You just have to be very careful and ask
the right questions, and if you are a seller, cover your butt, but be honest about the item up front.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #10,727 of 17,484
  I recently got a new X3 from ebay and the box did not have a serial number sticker on it.  When I mailed customer support they said since it was not an authorized reseller it would not be covered by warranty and they would not be able to tell me if the unit is genuine.  Is there another way to tell if this is an unmolested, genuine player?  It sounds good, but the fact that the ebay seller has not responded to several emails makes me uneasy.

it should be on the side of the box a silver scratchable bar .... scratch it and follow the instructions in the link
http://fiio.com.cn/aid/warranty.aspx 

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #10,728 of 17,484
  Not a good sign. Is there anything on the ad that says you can not return it? If not, ebay will support a claim against the seller if the product was misrepresented in the ad and would not honor a return request.
They can't do anything about the serial number. It should have been on the box as well, so you could go to FiiO and authenticate it. If the seller said no returns, or you are past a limit of 7 days, etc. you may have to bite this one.

I sold a netbook on ebay and clearly said no returns because you really have no control over what someone may do to a device when they get it. Even then the buyer complained about how it worked, and I sent several emails to try to help him resolve any issues. He started to get nasty so I stopped helping. He never took my advice anyway. LOL.. but most ebay dealings I've had have been flawless. And I've had hundreds.You just have to be very careful and ask
the right questions, and if you are a seller, cover your butt, but be honest about the item up front.

The eBay seller did nothing wrong but sell a Grey Market product, it happens everyday with all kinds of things. Nothing was misrepresented, no scam was pulled and it isn't even illegal. It is up to the buyer to check and see if the seller is authorized to sell the product and how warranty will work...

My Colorfly C3 was bought Grey market from bigbarginsonline who was not authorized, I bought it from him and most of HF did as well since Colorfly didn't have any online ordering options in place at the time.

So in the end we enjoy the player, hope it doesn't break and check for authorized sellers with the next purchase.
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #10,729 of 17,484
ebay seller has a return policy, so I've got time.  Shipping to China is expensive, but I took that risk going in.  I'm not worried that it is fake, just a returned or defective unit.  It has a pop during a track that only occurs on the X3, I can't reproduce it during playback on the computer or using a separate SD card in the X3, internal memory, etc.  Makes me think this is a defective unit, was probably returned and resold.  Weird thing is it hasn't popped on another track in 3 hours of listening this morning.  Right now I'm leaning towards returning it, but for the price I got it for and to avoid shipping fees I'd like to keep it if it works.  I'm getting a geek wave next year so I'm willing to take the gamble on it breaking, just worried about this strange pop.  One good thing, I get to listen to a lot of music to test.  I think I'll try flashing a different firmware next.

Jun 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #10,730 of 17,484

The eBay seller did nothing wrong but sell a Grey Market product, it happens everyday with all kinds of things. Nothing was misrepresented, no scam was pulled and it isn't even illegal. It is up to the buyer to check and see if the seller is authorized to sell the product and how warranty will work...

My Colorfly C3 was bought Grey market from bigbarginsonline who was not authorized, I bought it from him and most of HF did as well since Colorfly didn't have any online ordering options in place at the time.

So in the end we enjoy the player, hope it doesn't break and check for authorized sellers with the next purchase.
beerchug.gif

Interesting. You certainly seem to know more about the ad than what PhatB posted. Did the ad have a return policy? None of that has anything to do with it being legitimate or grey market. But everything to do whether he has any action through Ebay or not.

It appear we have our answer now in any event.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #10,731 of 17,484
  Hey gang!

I upgraded to FW 3.0 yesterday and to my ears, the X3 sounds more clear thus can hear more detail.
However, it's not as loud as FW 2.1. 

Have other's had  same experience?

I'm still getting use to the sound signature and so far definitely satisfied.

Yes, I had to up the gain using my in-ear RHA 750.  Really do like the new volume meter, much easier read on the fly.

I didn't notice much difference in the sound except for some distortion, but I think that was a volume issue.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #10,732 of 17,484
There's probably something wrong with the header of these files. Perhaps it contains unsupported or broken tags. What kind of files? If FLAC, you could use metaflac to check it's contents. If MP3, you could check the id3 version, too. I think it was for the X3 that I changed my tagging software from id3v2.4 to id3v2.3 or something like that.

It's ALAC or M4A as it puts itself. All the tags seem up the spout. Fairport Convention is in rock. My best genre is unknown which has Doves, The Black keys, The Black Crowes, 9Bach, New Order and Wilko Johnson and the Best Punk Album in the World! Cracking Tunes!

Most of my stuff is on FLAC ripped on Foobar.

Thanks for the info I'll try it and see if it helps.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #10,734 of 17,484
I was going to get the X5 but it's too expensive so I'm going with the X3 insteand.
So what do you guys think of this setup?
Fiio X3
Fiio E12
Beyerdynamic DT 770 250 OHMS
Works excelllent for me, I have the DT880 Pro's though.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #10,735 of 17,484
I've not heard the Beyerdynamic DT 770's, but I do know that the E12 improves the sound of the X3. The X3 on its own sounds very, very nice but the E12 kicks it up another level at least with the headphones and IEM's I've used with them. Good luck!

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #10,736 of 17,484
I was going to get the X5 but it's too expensive so I'm going with the X3 insteand.
Fiio X3
Fiio E12

Should work well together.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #10,737 of 17,484
  I doubt very much there are any fake X3's floating around on eBay but who knows for sure.

All of the FiiO products threads here state to buy from authorized dealers and you will not have any problems with warranty repairs, just hope nothing goes wrong with it or you might just be better of buying a new player.

X3 fakes? In all honesty I know there are fakes, I just can't imagine the X3 having fakes.

Jun 5, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #10,738 of 17,484
Fiio X3
Fiio E12

Why not ditch the E12 and go straight to the X5? In all honesty if I was smarter with my money, I'd have gone to the X5. However, I went to the x3 because I prefer buttons over wheel any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back