The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #10,456 of 17,484
I didn't check this forum last night, so of course that's when the new FW was released!

So here I am at work, with my X3 at home. Maybe I should start "not feeling well", so I can go home early...

Anyway, other than Korkipoo, is anyone else still getting crashes?

May 28, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #10,459 of 17,484
FiiO engineers, James, Joe and all the beta testers, thanks for the hard work and delivering a very nice firmware update for our beloved X3.
I did a bit of 'illegal' beta testing
evil_smiley.gif
 so for me it's not a big surprise that this quality update is giving us even more X3 pleasure.

ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif

May 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #10,460 of 17,484
   Okay, but I don't think that was what he was referring to. I believe he was referring to the multi-band EQ with the assorted pre-sets that was part of the 2.14 beta.

Why was this not included in the final version of the firmware? Was it because it did not function with hi-res files, Joe?

Yes, I was referring to mulit-band eq. I never did try it in 2.14b (heck, I don't even use bass/treble), but some people claim it din't work all that well so maybe that's why it got dumped. Either way i'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I tend to rotate my earphones quite a bit, so I really can't say anything about whether the sound has changed for the better or worse, but I think I remember James/Joe mentioning that nothing has been done since the beginning to alter the sound - other than fixing decoding bugs (mp3, ogg, etc).

Been really stable so far, and really the only negatives I can say are minor quibbles. Album art which is over scaled and getting cut off on the sides, and looking through the firmware files there is a shade graphic that should darken the background when displaying info/lyrics (kinda like volume) that doesn't seem to be active. Makes reading the tag info over top of the artwork really hard (I might add this to bugzilla).

All in all however, a great job by the Fiio engineers, and I'm looking forward to good things to come.

Cheers.

ps. I should have my theme updated by the weekend.

May 28, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #10,461 of 17,484
I do too prefer the sound signature of fw2.14b above fw3.0. Also with the 3.0 fw there is a 5800 files limit. Since i have more than 8000 files i honestly can not be pleased about this issue.
So i was looking for downloading a copy of the 2.19b firmware as it should be more stable!? Somebody who can share a link?

May 28, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #10,462 of 17,484
I do too prefer the sound signature of fw2.14b above fw3.0. Also with the 3.0 fw there is a 5800 files limit. Since i have more than 8000 files i honestly can not be pleased about this issue.
So i was looking for downloading a copy of the 2.19b firmware as it should be more stable!? Somebody who can share a link?

No, the 2.19 beta is not available to the public.

May 28, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #10,463 of 17,484
Can I use my x3 as an amp/dac in conjunction with my HTC One for playing via Spotify?
I was looking at amps to boost my HTC Ones sound and was reading that the E18 has a USB connection for android devices although I also read this can be flaky at times.

May 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #10,464 of 17,484
  Yes, I was referring to mulit-band eq. I never did try it in 2.14b (heck, I don't even use bass/treble), but some people claim it din't work all that well so maybe that's why it got dumped. Either way i'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I tend to rotate my earphones quite a bit, so I really can't say anything about whether the sound has changed for the better or worse, but I think I remember James/Joe mentioning that nothing has been done since the beginning to alter the sound - other than fixing decoding bugs (mp3, ogg, etc).

Been really stable so far, and really the only negatives I can say are minor quibbles. Album art which is over scaled and getting cut off on the sides, and looking through the firmware files there is a shade graphic that should darken the background when displaying info/lyrics (kinda like volume) that doesn't seem to be active. Makes reading the tag info over top of the artwork really hard (I might add this to bugzilla).

All in all however, a great job by the Fiio engineers, and I'm looking forward to good things to come.

Cheers.

ps. I should have my theme updated by the weekend.

I truly like your list theme!

May 28, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #10,465 of 17,484
I would like to share several objections to the new firmware.
1) Lack of the Custom Volume option – upon start-up the player remembers the last volume setting. This can be a real issue, since there are records (especially albums with old mastering or most LP rips) that have an overall lower volume than contemporary records. It is clear what happens when you’re playing a “silent” record with the volume cranked up high and then turn the player off – next day you decide to play a contemporary “loud” album and the volume blows your head off.
I think this is very inconvenient, the possible solution being to go back to the Custom and Memory options from the 2.1 version.
2) It would be nice to make the treble/bass settings part of the Quick Menu.
3) The Play Now screen. If there is no album cover or lyrics, this screen should be displayed without the standard background image. Or a theme should be added which has a blank Play Now screen, without a picture.
Why do song and artist data disappear from the screen after some time? Why is the song name displayed twice, while the album name is not displayed at all?
I would logically expect the Artist, Album and Song Title items to be permanently displayed on the Play Now screen. This is a complete nonsense and should be fixed.

May 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #10,467 of 17,484
I have had several crashes using the FW 3.0 playing the Avatt Brothers Files from ProStudiomasters. I don't know, if it the files or the firmware. Does anybody can help me out, what are the possibilities to get rid of this problem.
Besides this problem I love the interface and nearly all changes they did
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back