The Fiio X3 Thread.
May 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #9,722 of 17,484
Hi all,
new here and just wanted to say I love this thing. I got it yesterday and have been playing flacs all day with my HD-25 II. I've contacted Joe (http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/9720#post_10511306) for the 2.16 firmware, let's see whether he gets back to me.
You guys made me buy this! I love y'all 

May 3, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #9,724 of 17,484
I've got a question for you guys that's on the beta fw:

Is it any change in the sound using the line out?

With 2.1 the line out sounded better to me than the headphone out, more open and extended. With 2.14b the headphone out sounded much closer to the line out.

May 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #9,725 of 17,484
@defguy

Thank you. I've got the same impression as you with the 2.1 firmware. I'm really looking forward to the release of a stable version of the new fw.

May 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #9,726 of 17,484
Hi,

A while ago I made a rant regarding the MP3 decoding quality. Now, with the 2.14b (w/vol mod) I want to say that I was wrong and I must congratulate FIIIO. You have won my respect and trust. You really came trough and really improved the x3.

To my ears now the MP3 decoding sounds perfect and the overall sound was deeply improved, it is smoother and separation is excellent.

Now, this is only a beta so it has bugs, but that's normal. Really looking forward to the stable version!

May 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #9,732 of 17,484

It won't be much significant with those headphones. But the X3 will give you a warmer sound that will create a better sinergy with your 558's. I recommend an upgrade in terms of headphones.

Sorry, but that´s unnecessary. The HD-558 will be perfectly suited for the X3. The - with FW 2.14b or upwards - slightly revealing character will go nicely with the slightly warmer HD-558. Besides, the HD-558 is a very good headphone, only lacking a bit of air and very deep bass. Furthermore, it made the sonic progression caused by the different firmwares very apparent. Another headphone, the HD-448, sucked at this.

May 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #9,733 of 17,484
I would have to agree with you about some of the change in sound....the previous firmware was more analogue sounding like a vintage tube amp with limited range in both top and bottom frequencies and all the glory going to the mid range...which is great for vocals and acoustic music...

I liken the latest firmware update to a modern tube amp...more control on the extremes, a little more spacious and detailed but at a slight cost to the midcentric sound of the previous firmware....

This also depends on your earbuds or headphones and how they counter-balance the current X3 sound...

I personally prefer the current X3 sound. But maybe the original sound could be offered as a pre-programmed equalizer setting?

May 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #9,735 of 17,484
Sorry, but that´s unnecessary. The HD-558 will be perfectly suited for the X3. The - with FW 2.14b or upwards - slightly revealing character will go nicely with the slightly warmer HD-558. Besides, the HD-558 is a very good headphone, only lacking a bit of air and very deep bass. Furthermore, it made the sonic progression caused by the different firmwares very apparent. Another headphone, the HD-448, sucked at this.

Thanks for this comment man.
But what do you mean by the slightly revealing character of the new firmware?
Sorry I really dont know much of the audiophile terms. Thanks again btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back