The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 31, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #8,371 of 17,484
I don't think that my gapless problem cause by file. It doesn't work neither my own flac ripped (EAC) nor albums from hdtracks nor even chesky album that come with X3. And I play only in browse mode.

Anyhow, just an information for FiiO team, as I said in my early post, I can live with this and wait for next firmware.

I'm in happy mode, because of X3 and my new ATW-ESW11LTD seem to be a good match. Can't help to post a lovely golden "limited edition" here :D

Now that's a beautiful headphone!

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #8,372 of 17,484
My X3 came with 2.1
1. I play only in browse mode
2. already reinstall both 2.1 and 2.05, Gapless function doesn't work
3. reset the player, same result
4. Press power for 10 sec., same result

P.S. never try to play in category mode because I always swap three SD cards to listen for each music genre on each card. So I never do the update library at all

Did you turn on gapless playback?

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #8,373 of 17,484
@mikroski You are not trying to get gapless to remove the gaps between normal tracks are you?

I didn't hear anything in the included Chesky tracks that requires gapless as most are full songs.

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #8,374 of 17,484
@mikroski You are not trying to get gapless to remove the gaps between normal tracks are you?

I didn't hear anything in the included Chesky tracks that requires gapless as most are full songs.

Sorry to give a wrong example, my bad.  I mean some album such as Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert, it should not have gap between track 2, 3, 4

Did you turn on gapless playback?

ha ha ha, yes..

Anyhow, I said for third times, it doesn't bother me at all. Just to inform to FiiO team to know. I'm very happy with X3 and waiting for X5 to come. Then I will use X5 during work and X3 before I sleep. Thanks for all comment about this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #8,376 of 17,484
Hi, I have got some problems with the X3. I can play all track with no problem, but when I choose 'Play All', only one folder is visible. So my question is, how can I make all the tracks visible in play all option? cheers :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #8,377 of 17,484
It's been a week or more since I received the x3, and I'm really happy with it. I was abit doubtful whether it will be an improvement over my clip+ but now I don't even want to go back there anymore. I always felt that the clip was missing something (details, involveness) even though overall its still very clean sounding.
x3's UI to me was very intuitive. I'm all for browsing files like on the computer as it gives much more flexibility in organizing my music and haven't even touched the category function. So to all the people who are complaining about the lack of album > artist function, I say don't wait for an update to happen, you might as well start reorganizing your library to the way you want it. Lol, I even saw that mp3tag can do it by batch for you assuming your music is all properly tagged(it should be right, otherwise why bother asking for album > artist function) 

btw, for those who listen to korean/japanese/thai songs and need the characters to show, I found that the font file used in this fellow Headfier's theme supports all of them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/684881/campaign-regarding-x3-theme-beautification/30#post_10039886 . Alternatively, go to the first page of that thread and follow the instructions to unpack the fw2.1 file, change the font file, and pack back again.

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #8,378 of 17,484
I had a most pleasant surprise today.  My 2.5-day old X3 failed to be recognized by a Vista-32 bit and a Windows 7-64 bit in my workplace.  But my day-to-day desktop and laptop running Ubuntu (13.04) simply "shook hands" with my X3! Since I work mostly with Ubuntu-based computers, I am obviously a happy X3 user :)

Which leads me to guess that Linux or a BSD-variant, is lurking inside the X3? :) 

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #8,379 of 17,484
i have some trouble getting album art on some flac files. any advice?

the only time I have had an issue is when the file has more information than normal/corrupted header - sometimes too high a resolution.
It will show up as artwork on the pc in mp3tag, but does not show elswhere, even though they are embedded.

I have resized ALL my images to :
500x500 @ 72 dpi.
In some cases, I resaved them as a bmp or png reopened and saved them back to jpeg. Then re-embed in the flac.

This solved the problem on one particular problem file that just wouldnt show in rockbox or x3.

Best
T.

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #8,380 of 17,484
the only time I have had an issue is when the file has more information than normal/corrupted header - sometimes too high a resolution.
It will show up as artwork on the pc in mp3tag, but does not show elswhere, even though they are embedded.

I have resized ALL my images to :
500x500 @ 72 dpi.
In some cases, I resaved them as a bmp or png reopened and saved them back to jpeg. Then re-embed in the flac.

This solved the problem on one particular problem file that just wouldnt show in rockbox or x3.

Best
T.

I think X3 will only support artwork to a max of 1000x1000. Since the display is only 240x320 it seems pointless to me to use anything higher than 240x240. Also make sure your jpegs aren't progressive either. Found out the hard way that causes problems with rockbox, not sure if it's an issue on the X3

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #8,381 of 17,484
I think X3 will only support artwork to a max of 1000x1000. Since the display is only 240x320 it seems pointless to me to use anything higher than 240x240. Also make sure your jpegs aren't progressive either. Found out the hard way that causes problems with rockbox, not sure if it's an issue on the X3

Yes I see your point.
Yes, progressive was the problem on some (lots) of my artwork, it got very tedious as I was checking everyhting on a rockboxed ipod first.
500 seems to be fine on my x3, because I have music cross platform, it seemed like a good compromise....but I so old fashioned I miss gatesleeve album covers.:xf_eek:

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #8,383 of 17,484
@lostinthesauce - "You know that the ATH-ESW9 with the E11/X3 combo sure does sounds good."

My ears agree with your observation, albeit with a differentdifferent set of headphones :)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly remember James of Fiio stating that the X3 uses the same amp setup as the E11, so there was no point in using the E11 with the X3. I believe he did say that the E12 was a good choice if you prefer a more neutral sound signature, though.

Feb 2, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #8,384 of 17,484
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I distinctly remember James of Fiio stating that the X3 uses the same amp setup as the E11, so there was no point in using the E11 with the X3. I believe he did say that the E12 was a good choice if you prefer a more neutral sound signature, though.

Same chip (AD8397) X3 more powerful, according to FiiO
(X3 270 mW@32Ω vs 180 mW@32Ω for E11)

Go figure, if you're happy carrying around double the gear (?) or love putting it through extra circuitry to reduce power and quality.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #8,385 of 17,484
Same chip [COLOR=000000](AD8397[/COLOR]) X3 more powerful, according to FiiO
([COLOR=5A5A5A]X3 270 mW@32Ω[/COLOR] vs [COLOR=696969]180 mW@32Ω[/COLOR] for E11)

Go figure, if you're happy carrying around double the gear (?) or love putting it through extra circuitry to reduce power and quality.

Thanks for providing specifics. I'll use my E12 v1 or DIY or a SoundMagic A10 for different sound signature but hold off on my E11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back