The Fiio X3 Thread.
Dec 21, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #7,201 of 17,483
I had my X3 for a while now and am loving it so far!

For a future firmware release(s) (if such thing happens), I want see fixes for the little bugs (freezes) that happens once in awhile. Also, for my wishlist-feature wise, I would love Fiio to  implement some kind of cross fade (fade-in and fade-out), skip silence, gapless feature that works in every way, and tag based title display on the main screen when a song is playing.

Happy Holidays!

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #7,202 of 17,483
For me ...not much cuz i listen to mp3 format only as i only have 32gb card and need to put in as much musik as i can on it. Added usb function to it ...can be plug to pc as a dac.

Not sure about improvement in quality in other format but for mp3 ..there seems to be some decoding problem in sound quality but I'm okay with it and definitely better than my ipod and phone . No complain so far but my only wish list is improvement in UI when accessing the menu ...sometimes when browsing thru menu ...or fast forward or change next to the next songs ...it just freezes and will need to reboot if can ..and sometimes when it does goes funky - none of the button works ,so just got to let it shut down on its own ..come back in 10 minutes ..the player is off..u r good to go again. Also my wish is that mp3 playback can be gapless and as at now ...it can't.

Just saw the you tube demo on x5 ..the speed of the UI IS IMPRESSIVE ....

That's about it for me ...all in all I'm a happy camper with my X3 and Fiio is doing what they can in the x amount of time they have juggling with launching X5 and they have already started on X1 - another budget player similar to X3 (ipod looking) and on top of that improving the firmware of X3.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
beerchug.gif

I think I need to go back to the previous FW. Mine has frozen now twice after around 10 minutes of music playing. It never did this before. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #7,203 of 17,483
Hi guys,

Long-time lurker, first time poster here.  

I recently snagged my hands on an X3 and so far, I'm in love. However, I don't think the "Memory Play" function is working how I assumed it would.  I typically listen to audiobooks at night so I have the Sleep function on.  However, even with "Memory Play" set to Position, I find when I turn the device back on in the morning, the track has reset to the beginning again, forcing me to fast forward to find where I left off.   Turning the device back on, there is no option to immediately resume the track.  Seeking the track out and the position is no longer saved.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or a setting I missed?

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #7,204 of 17,483
  Hi guys,

I recently snagged my hands on an X3 and so far, I'm in love. However, I don't think the "Memory Play" function is working how I assumed it would.  I typically listen to audiobooks at night so I have the Sleep function on.  However, even with "Memory Play" set to Position, I find when I turn the device back on in the morning, the track has reset to the beginning again, forcing me to fast forward to find where I left off.   Turning the device back on, there is no option to immediately resume the track.  Seeking the track out and the position is no longer saved.

Is your "Memory Play" setting on Position or Track.

Position is the one you want. It is supposed to start up where you left off.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #7,205 of 17,483
  Hi guys,

Like P. Chafe posted,make sure the memory play is set to the proper position. Also if you charge the player or add music to the memory, either internal or external, the memory Playback function is disabled until the next time you use the player and shut it off. This has at least been my experience.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #7,206 of 17,483
I have had the X3 for about 2 weeks now and overall I think the cost was justified (Got it for 150 on sale!)

The sound quality is nice. But it has it's downfalls. A bit of background so you can understand my opinion. I usually listen to music at night in bed to fall asleep. Not wanting to have a whole night stand of amps, tubes, DACs and interfaces, I need something small and portable. My choices before I got the X3 have been some very nice PCDPs. Sony D-33, D-35, D-25, D-777. Usually my Senn HD 595's are my headphones of choice.

The X3 sound signature is a tad dark which I find enjoyable (No EQ) While still keeping a slight air. I'd prefer a bit more airiness and dampening to the darkness, but this is getting very picky.

The Wolfson DAC is lovely. Resolution and granularity is top notch. I would say this chip is not missing any of the smallest nuisances in a song. It also keeps every instrument separated when passages get very busy, dynamic and loud. For this alone the X3 is fantastic to be used just as a DAC to an external amp. (I have heard some additional instruments and separation never head before when connecting to my Little Dot MK III) Line out is powerful and warm. Perhaps a touch too warm when outputting into a tube amp.

Mid bass kicks and drums sound very nice. Nice punch to this lower mid bass range dealing with any percussion instruments. But the low bass follow through is lacking severely. A nice bass guitar rift while full, is completely void of slap and punch. I can only blame this on the awful 100HZ Center Bass EQ. (We need adjustable freq for Bass and treble Fiio) Because of this, anytime I up the Bass EQ it becomes muddy and lacks any aggressiveness. I would call the deep punch bass performance quite poor. My D-35 and D-777 blows this player away when it comes to deep accurate bass.

I am also a bit disappointed in very low level fullness. I kind of wish for a low volume loudness curve to give a bit more body if listening to it at very low volumes. Once you give it some more volume. It becomes full and enjoyable. But low level listening leaves much to be desired.

Overall I'd rate it 7. Great DAC, Nice output possibilities, Simple interface with real buttons, Powerful headphone output (But here is where improvements can be made)  I really hope that a new Firmware is available soon that might solve the muddy bloat bass sound. This player can then really be something, as it has the potential with a but more tweaking.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #7,207 of 17,483
  Hi guys,

I have my "memory play" setting on "track" and I find quite often when I use sleep it doesn't actually remember which track it was on, and just boots the the main menu. It might be a bug, maybe others can report in with their experience.
However like the other mentioned you would want to use "position" (which you mentioned you do)
Cheers

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #7,208 of 17,483

For me ...not much cuz i listen to mp3 format only as i only have 32gb card and need to put in as much musik as i can on it. Added usb function to it ...can be plug to pc as a dac.

Not sure about improvement in quality in other format but for mp3 ..there seems to be some decoding problem in sound quality but I'm okay with it and definitely better than my ipod and phone . No complain so far but my only wish list is improvement in UI when accessing the menu ...sometimes when browsing thru menu ...or fast forward or change next to the next songs ...it just freezes and will need to reboot if can ..and sometimes when it does goes funky - none of the button works ,so just got to let it shut down on its own ..come back in 10 minutes ..the player is off..u r good to go again. Also my wish is that mp3 playback can be gapless and as at now ...it can't.

Just saw the you tube demo on x5 ..the speed of the UI IS IMPRESSIVE ....

That's about it for me ...all in all I'm a happy camper with my X3 and Fiio is doing what they can in the x amount of time they have juggling with launching X5 and they have already started on X1 - another budget player similar to X3 (ipod looking) and on top of that improving the firmware of X3.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.
beerchug.gif

I think I need to go back to the previous FW. Mine has frozen now twice after around 10 minutes of music playing. It never did this before. 

It's very strange that some see these fairly consistent freezes with FW2.1 yet mine has been flawless since the update. My X3 was from the 1st batch that hit Canadian shores, and has been upgraded numerous times. I just wonder what's changed between the version I have and the ones that are constantly freezing under FW2.1.

Dale

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #7,209 of 17,483

It's very strange that some see these fairly consistent freezes with FW2.1 yet mine has been flawless since the update. My X3 was from the 1st batch that hit Canadian shores, and has been upgraded numerous times. I just wonder what's changed between the version I have and the ones that are constantly freezing under FW2.1.

Dale

Maybe it's something about that first Canadian batch, as i too purchased my X3 from that batch and have had no freezing issues since the firmware update to 2.1. Before that the player did freeze but only with a few specific DSD files that were converted to 24/192 FLAC.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #7,210 of 17,483
I got mine while in China and I believe it is a first batch. I don't know. Maybe I will reload the FW again. I know the DX50 can give some problems and yet I never have a problem. So I will reload the FW again or go back to a previous. I never really had any problems with the FW that came with the X3.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #7,211 of 17,483
I've had no freezes since getting mine and updating the FW.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #7,212 of 17,483
Hi Guys

I am a new User here from Germany and would ask something about X3
Please be easy on my English :D

I have Bayer DT 990 Pro 250 Headphones and would like to buy Fiio X2.
What about Output Power?Did somebody here test it with DT 990? I Hope i mustnt buy E12 additionaly

I had E12 and i know it would deliver far more Power

Questions:

1. Output Power for DT 990 Pro
2. Experience about comparing with Ipod Classic in Sound

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #7,213 of 17,483
  Maybe it's something about that first Canadian batch, as i too purchased my X3 from that batch and have had no freezing issues since the firmware update to 2.1. Before that the player did freeze but only with a few specific DSD files that were converted to 24/192 FLAC.

I believe mine's a 2nd CDN batch. I've had a couple freezes, but only when I first swap SD cards. I think it might have to do with the library not updating properly. I don't think it happened with pre 2.x firmware, but I can't say for sure. Either way for me its a minor inconvenience since it happens so rarely.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #7,214 of 17,483
  Hi Guys

I am a new User here from Germany and would ask something about X3
Please be easy on my English :D

I have Bayer DT 990 Pro 250 Headphones and would like to buy Fiio X2.
What about Output Power?Did somebody here test it with DT 990? I Hope i mustnt buy E12 additionaly

I had E12 and i know it would deliver far more Power

Questions:

1. Output Power for DT 990 Pro
2. Experience about comparing with Ipod Classic in Sound

The X3 does quite well with my Beyer DT770 Pro 250 ohm cans, so I suspect it'll also do quite well with your DT990s - both have the same impedance, but of course they have a different sound stage/signature. Unfortunately only you'll be able to decide if the X3 has enough 'oomph' to meet your needs. Certainly when I tried the X3 paired with an E12, the sound was even better, but that's not to say that it wasn't acceptable by itself. I did prefer the X3 + E12 combo for overall sound, but I really prefer the simplicity of just having to carry the X3. I'm willing to sacrifice just a little while truly portable, and then save my serious listening for when I'm at home and can use my higher-powered setup.

I didn't end up purchasing the E12 as I already had a Ray Samuels Intruder on order. The Intruder does the same as the E12 - it improves the sound and in my case, also allows me to use my balanced HD800s with a very impressive sound stage. I can use the HD800s with a single-ended adapter, but in balanced mode through the Intruder, with the X3 as the source, it's a killer combo.

I can't say much about the iPod Classic as I've only ever used one briefly - never owned one or used it long enough to form a real opinion.

Dale

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #7,215 of 17,483
  I got mine while in China and I believe it is a first batch. I don't know. Maybe I will reload the FW again. I know the DX50 can give some problems and yet I never have a problem. So I will reload the FW again or go back to a previous. I never really had any problems with the FW that came with the X3.

My X3 never had a freeze until I upgraded to the latest firmware. After that, I got 5 freezes in 7 days !
A couple of people suggested in some older posts to disable the gapeless playback: I did that and I never had any freeze anymore.

Anyway, gapeless playback was not properly working in browser mode up to the latest firmware (browser mode is the only X3 usable mode, due to the lack of artist --> album sorting in "category" mode) and apparently the latest feedback was not yet fully implementing gapeless, as I was still able to hear a small gap between songs.
So disabling it, as workaround for the freezes, is not a big loss.

Now I'm eagerly waiting for a firmware upgrade to finally allow the category search for "artist --> album". 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back