The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 26, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #14,911 of 17,484
fyi:

i recall some being annoyed that the X3 silicone jacket doesn't have a cut out for the sd card slot. i agree. i also find it very difficult to hit the right buttons when the jacket is on (even more difficult than normal, if you can imagine). but i also really like how well the jacket fits and protects it, so i have been torn. that is, until . . . i took a pair of scissors to it. i cut away the portion that covers the buttons, as well as a small opening at the sd card slot. it's not too hard if you have nice, sharp scissors and a steady hand. and now, voila! the best of both worlds. and it even fits comfortably over the feet/spacers i put on the back. so i no longer have to worry about scratching it all up when in my car, or conversely, getting in a wreck because i can't find the right button by feel.

one caveat: cutting away the area over the buttons does make it fit just a bit floppier on the face, but not on the sides. in case that is important to anyone. but cutting the sd card opening has no negative impact.

Jan 26, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #14,913 of 17,484
I much prefer the micro SD card slot to be covered most of the time. It is too easy to press the card by accident. I have also put it in my pocket before with no case and the card toutched aginst something and it came out and my music stopped playing. I will now always use a case that covers the micro SD card slot. Since they can cost a lot of money and they are very small and easy too loose, I like to keep the slot covered.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #14,914 of 17,484
I much prefer the micro SD card slot to be covered most of the time. It is too easy to press the card by accident. I have also put it in my pocket before with no case and the card toutched aginst something and it came out and my music stopped playing. I will now always use a case that covers the micro SD card slot. Since they can cost a lot of money and they are very small and easy too loose, I like to keep the slot covered.

noted. for me it was an issue because i am stubbornly refusing to pare down my music collection in any significant way when loading the X3. the result is 128GB is not enough space for me. so i use two cards and need swapping to be fast & easy.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #14,917 of 17,484

that's looks really nice. but you didn't do that with a utility knife, right?

I sure did
biggrin.gif
And also hole puncher and round mini file.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #14,918 of 17,484
  I see your point and completely agree with you, but Fiio's HS5 case has so thick leather that I actually have to use my pinkie to push the card.

good to know. if i do start to have problems with premature ejections (lol) i'd probably go with your case & method as well. so you must tell me what tool you found best to make such a perfectly  beautiful cut.

edit:
yeah ok, the hole punch and round file make more sense. :)
that's leather, right? i think i have a leather belt hole punch around here somewhere.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #14,920 of 17,484

What kind of stuff do you keep in your pockets? Lol

In my whole time of owning the X3 which is over a year roughly I haven't pressed the SD card by accident. Not even once lol

PS. I have the Tuff-Luv case btw, which has the SD exposed.

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #14,923 of 17,484
My knife and my Zippo. I like minimalism.

If anyone carries a knife in England they get arrested.

Btw the phrase "rock on!" feels appropriate here, not sure if I should say it though lol

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #14,924 of 17,484
What kind of stuff do you keep in your pockets? Lol

In my whole time of owning the X3 which is over a year roughly I haven't pressed the SD card by accident. Not even once lol

PS. I have the Tuff-Luv case btw, which has the SD exposed.

It was only when the X3 had no case on. When there is no case on, The micro SD sticks out by about 1mm. I know it isn't much but I prefer it when it it harder to get out. I had my phone in my pocked and if anything pressed even gently against the micro SD card, It would force it out. With a leather case on that has a cut out, I suppose I wouldn't have this issue. I am using the flip case at the moment and that has a cut out.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #14,925 of 17,484
Okay all, here's the debate in my head.  I can sell my X3 for around $120CAD without problem, I think.  In it's replacement, a Fiio X1.  I have read that the X1 has a 7-band EQ, and I use 16ohm and 32ohm IEM's, so I don't need a lot of power.  The size and wheel intrigue me, and the sound signature is supposed to be similar to the X3.  I am looking for something with a little more control of the sound, as the 5-band EQ in the X3 isn't to my liking, and I mainly use the hardware bass and treble controls to adjust sound.  What's everyone's thought on this?  Make the jump, or stick with the X3 and maybe wait for the X3 II?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back