The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 10, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #14,536 of 17,484
Yes, sure, volume and eq, are almost the same, thanks.

I insist, i expected a HUGE difference between a Samsung phone and a X3 player...

Now i think that my Samsung with a E10 or E 18 will be much pristine than this X3...., or i'm crazy..??

If you're looking for HUGE differences you've choosed the wrong hobby :wink:

Fwiw I got a new phone yesterday (Z3 Compact)and on request is did A/B comparison between it and my old M7 but choosed to put the X3 in the mix as well. It's all in the Z3 thread but the short short version is that I found the X3 clearly superior two those pretty well regarded (soundwise) phones.

I tested primarily with the Fidelio X2 and the ATH-CKR10 which are both easy to drive but pretty revealing.

Maybe you've just set your expectations to high.......

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #14,537 of 17,484
In what way were you expecting a big difference? Both headphones you're testing with are fairly easy to drive, so the differences may be slight. The neutron player has quite a few adjustments you can make to the sound, to tailor it to your likes. Some of the biggest differences will come with harder to drive headphones, and such. What firmware are you running? 3.3 introduced a 5-band eq, and the X3 has hardware based bass and treble controls too.

I´m running the 3,3 firmware. And i noticed when i activate the EQ, the volume slow down, so i´m using the bass and treble adjustment only...

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #14,538 of 17,484
If you're looking for HUGE differences you've choosed the wrong hobby
wink.gif

Fwiw I got a new phone yesterday (Z3 Compact)and on request is did A/B comparison between it and my old M7 but choosed to put the X3 in the mix as well. It's all in the Z3 thread but the short short version is that I found the X3 clearly superior two those pretty well regarded (soundwise) phones.

I tested primarily with the Fidelio X2 and the ATH-CKR10 which are both easy to drive but pretty revealing.

Maybe you've just set your expectations to high.......

The Z3 has a very good reputation as a DAP. I can´t imagine that my "old" Galaxy Note sounds better than a Z3...

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #14,539 of 17,484
I love FW3.0!  Went back to it yesterday, and I think I'll stay there awhile.  I was getting more and more disappointed as firmwares after 3.0 came up.  To each their own release, right?  MP3 and M4A sound great in my vehicle and in my headphones.
I LOVE MUSIC!

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #14,542 of 17,484

I insist, i expected a HUGE difference between a Samsung phone and a X3 player...

Now i think that my Samsung with a E10 or E 18 will be much pristine than this X3...., or i'm crazy..??

I agree with peter123.  If you're looking for huge differences with easy to drive headphones, you've chosen the wrong hobby.  I have a Nexus 5 phone, and with PowerAmp on it, playing the same FLAC, I find the X3 to drive my Atrio MG7's much better.  I run the X3 on low gain, and have the Bass adjustments turned up on both, but the X3 easily bests my Nexus for simply driving the Atrio's to much better bass response and "feel".  With the Nexus, the bass is bloated and sloppy, but with the X3, it's powerful and tight.  I don't have the Nexus rooted, and another thing I find, is that the volume of the X3 is "much" louder, with clear and easy to hear detail.  

You're right on the EQ of the X3 right now.  The implementation isn't perfect, but they just released it with 3.3.  Upcoming firmware updates will no doubt improve the ability of the EQ, without affecting volume, the way it does now.  Remember, the X3 was Fiio's first step into the DAP world, and I think they are doing great things with each firmware update.  

I hope you make a decision that pleases you the most, either keep or return the X3, but for me and my IEM's, the X3 is the way to go.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #14,543 of 17,484
I´m running the 3,3 firmware. And i noticed when i activate the EQ, the volume slow down, so i´m using the bass and treble adjustment only...

This is the proper way to implement EQ so the amp doesn't clip when adjusting frequency levels, unlike iPods. Compensate by turning up the volume. As far as sound quality I suggest listening exclusively to the X3 for a few days and then go back to your old device. My bet is you'll hear the difference. Btw, the hardware bass and treble controls are MUCH better than any EQ in my opinion.

Also keep in mind that your entire audio chain needs to be considered, like well mastered tracks with a minimum bit rate at least 256kbps (I prefer CD quality lossless ALAC and FLAC files), and resolving headphones to really hear a difference. If the headphones can't reproduce the audio well then the X3 can't do anything better for them. If the files are so so then the X3 will only show it. I'm not saying your headphones aren't good enough for you, just that better headphones sound even better on an X3 than on a smartphone.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #14,544 of 17,484

I am not quite sure how you could use the E10 with a phone. Both the sound and the power is given to the E10 by the mini USB port. If it was possible, all it would do is drain your phone since the E10 has no battery. You may well have meant an E11. Sorry if you did.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #14,545 of 17,484
This is the proper way to implement EQ so the amp doesn't clip when adjusting frequency levels, unlike iPods. Compensate by turning up the volume. As far as sound quality I suggest listening exclusively to the X3 for a few days and then go back to your old device. My bet is you'll hear the difference. Btw, the hardware bass and treble controls are MUCH better than any EQ in my opinion.

I also think the hardware bass and treble is a huge amount better than the EQ on the X3. I thought the hardware bass sounded a little strange at first though because I was used to the bass boost of the E11. I still do prefer the way the E11 adds the bass. It sounds like it boosts the much deeper bass than the X3 does which it what my headphones could do with a little more of. The X3's hardware bass is still easily good enough for what I want when using it as a portable player though. The E11 does call its bass boost EQ as it says next to the switch but it obviously is hardware.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #14,547 of 17,484
Jan 10, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #14,549 of 17,484
rivermivida I beleive you may have missed the post I did as you posted the above so I'll say it again.

The X3 and the e17(original) have the same hardware and sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back