The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 7, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #13,456 of 17,484
  I've actually seen your work in the v3.21 beta download thread but I haven't tried it yet. Going to flash it now and see how it goes. Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

No worries. Let me know how it looks on the X3's screen please. I was testing it on the X3 simulator (as I don't have an X3), so I have no idea if the colours are correct for the X3's screen

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #13,457 of 17,484
  Does the X3 use different signal paths for low and high gain? I'm using the low gain setting now and for some reason, I'm no longer "disappointed" with my W4Rs. They seemed rejuvenated and sounds lively again. Instrument separation and soundstage seemed to be back to "normal" (back when I was still using fw v2.1). I'm not sure if this is placebo but I seem to like how they sound again as compared to my SRH440s (I've been giving more attention to my SRH440s lately. haha).

Low gain is always better to use than High gain... less noise

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #13,458 of 17,484

X3 hang's very often when playing .aiff files. Even with 3 firmware, this issue is not resolved, I have huge collection of aiff files. Tired of converting them to flac files.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Have you tried the latest firmware (v3.21 beta)? For me it's the most stable so far. No random freezes. However, I don't have AIFF files; just using mostly MP3, M4A (AAC), FLAC, and some OGG (Vorbis) files.

For AIFF -> FLAC conversion, have you tried using batch converters? It'll be more convenient but of course it would still take a long time and a lot of disk space. I've converted some WAV files to FLAC recently using fre:ac.

Can you please give me link to v3.21 beta, not able to find link for download. If works ok with .aiff then it would be awesome. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #13,459 of 17,484
I did not double amp, used line-out in X3. Certainly there is an better SQ, sound stage is much wider and high's are much crisper. Amp section in E17 is better than X3.

Your post initially stated 'X12’ which I thought was X3>e12>e17.

Confused me there. :blink:

Edit: Also confused by the fact that the X3 basically uses the same internals as the e17, at least it did when it was first released (the one I owned along with the e17). Also, the X3 has a slightly more powerful amp than the e17 so I would imagine the opposite to be true, meaning most would prefer the slightly better dynamic range of the X3 over the e17. At least that was my experience when I owned both.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #13,460 of 17,484

I did not double amp, used line-out in X3. Certainly there is an better SQ, sound stage is much wider and high's are much crisper. Amp section in E17 is better than X3.

Your post initially stated 'X12’ which I thought was X3>e12>e17.

Confused me there.
blink.gif

Never mind mate, please ignore my post. With new beta firmware seems to have resolved weird issues I had when PFE-232 connected to X3 directly. I only have cable with mic and when directly plugged to X3, the player used to pause music without any reason (also lost is SQ). Now everything good, for last 10 mins since I installed new beta firmware, just enjoying X3->PFE-232.

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #13,461 of 17,484

Have you tried the latest firmware (v3.21 beta)? For me it's the most stable so far. No random freezes. However, I don't have AIFF files; just using mostly MP3, M4A (AAC), FLAC, and some OGG (Vorbis) files.

For AIFF -> FLAC conversion, have you tried using batch converters? It'll be more convenient but of course it would still take a long time and a lot of disk space. I've converted some WAV files to FLAC recently using fre:ac.

Can you please give me link to v3.21 beta, not able to find link for download. If works ok with .aiff then it would be awesome. 

Found the link and also installed. Will report back if beta resolves .aiff issue. 

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #13,462 of 17,484
I have been wanting a FW for the X3 that makes the track name more obvious when it is playing. I always use the yellow theme because out of the 6 different colour choices, it is that one that is easiest to read on a black background. The default red theme is really hard to read on black, especially when you are outside. The X3s screen isn't bright and the viewing angles aren't great either so either the wrighting or background could do changing at some point I think. It is only a small problem at the moment though. It is just a pain sometimes when I want to see what is playing when I am outside, I often have to put my hands round the screen to see it. When you are selecting songs to play, it isn't as hard to see there.

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #13,463 of 17,484
Reading FiiO's official changelog of the FW 3.0 in .PDF, it says that they removed the Album Art size restrictions. Now, I've been seeing people complaining about the unit not properly displaying the album arts or worse it makes the whole unit sluggish. Can anyone confirm this and what is the ideal album art size?

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #13,464 of 17,484
The equalization response charts were awesome.  So my take is that there are very subtle differences between firmwares but nothing huge in terms of sound stage.  So the placebo effect is still a valid theory.

I had two x3s over the last days, one on fw 3.0, the other on 3.2.
Both had 64 gb micro sd cards with exactly the same songs on them.

It tried to do a blind comparison, shuffling the x3s around, selecting tthe same song on both and then comparing short portions of the same song on the same volume level with both devices.
When I first put on fw 3.2 on an x3 I had the impression that the sound became cleaner and slightly more treble was audible. So I first compared thr sngs on treble.
i failed more than I succeeded, that is i more often identified fw 3.0 as having more treble.
Then I compared on bass, e g with what firmware I heard a more powerful, more detailed bass. For this I picked bass-heavy songd such as from Depeche Mode Delta Machine Song 1 or Guns 'n Roses Paradise City.
Concentrating on bass, I picked the more bass heavy firmware 3.0 9 times out of 10.
I just scanned this thread and found the frquency response graphs of fw 3.0 and fw 3.2 and those seem to support my own finding - fw 3.0 has a bit more bass. Fw 3.2 appears to sound a little bit cleaner as a result but also - depending on headphone and song - a bit less fun.
With some songs And headphones I prefer 3.2, with others 3.0. Good that there's a choice. Perhaps Fiio could release future firmwares in two versions - clean and warm/more bass?

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #13,465 of 17,484
I'm still under the impression that Fiio tamed the X3 with FW 3.2 and made it more flat sounding because they want more people to opt in using the E12 amp with the X3... and the E12 has a bass boost function...   so if you want more bass you just flip the switch...     but if you use the FW 3.0 with the E12 and flip the bass switch its too much bass... 

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #13,466 of 17,484
I'm still under the impression that Fiio tamed the X3 with FW 3.2 and made it more flat sounding because they want more people to opt in using the E12 amp with the X3... and the E12 has a bass boost function...   so if you want more bass you just flip the switch...     but if you use the FW 3.0 with the E12 and flip the bass switch its too much bass... 

I don't think FiiO really needs to cripple their devices to sell other hardware.

And with "cripple" i mean making it more neutral, which is a good thing as the headphones should be the thing that should give a different sound, not the source...

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #13,467 of 17,484
I had two x3s over the last days, one on fw 3.0, the other on 3.2.
Both had 64 gb micro sd cards with exactly the same songs on them.

It tried to do a blind comparison, shuffling the x3s around, selecting tthe same song on both and then comparing short portions of the same song on the same volume level with both devices.
When I first put on fw 3.2 on an x3 I had the impression that the sound became cleaner and slightly more treble was audible. So I first compared thr sngs on treble.
i failed more than I succeeded, that is i more often identified fw 3.0 as having more treble.
Then I compared on bass, e g with what firmware I heard a more powerful, more detailed bass. For this I picked bass-heavy songd such as from Depeche Mode Delta Machine Song 1 or Guns 'n Roses Paradise City.
Concentrating on bass, I picked the more bass heavy firmware 3.0 9 times out of 10.
I just scanned this thread and found the frquency response graphs of fw 3.0 and fw 3.2 and those seem to support my own finding - fw 3.0 has a bit more bass. Fw 3.2 appears to sound a little bit cleaner as a result but also - depending on headphone and song - a bit less fun.
With some songs And headphones I prefer 3.2, with others 3.0. Good that there's a choice. Perhaps Fiio could release future firmwares in two versions - clean and warm/more bass?

Did you try FW 3.21?

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #13,469 of 17,484
I don't think FiiO really needs to cripple their devices to sell other hardware.

And with "cripple" i mean making it more neutral, which is a good thing as the headphones should be the thing that should give a different sound, not the source...

This was the time line....   X3 came out and right off the start it has a LO that was very strong and it also sounded pretty " good and full sounding " and then the X5 came out but it had a more neutral sound and the LO is not as strong...  then the X5/E12 stacking kit came out... and it offered more options for the X5...  bass boost switch and cross feed switch and gain switch.. 
For those that had bought the X3 at the start and combined it with the E12 know that the original X3 with E12 bass boost was too much...   I still have the X3 and X5 and E12...  I like that I can use the X3 and X5 with the E12   they both scale up with the E12 combo...

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #13,470 of 17,484
Most X3 users think the 3.21beta firmware is the Gold standard. So if one was to compare firmware versions, that should be in the mix. I still think the gapless FLAC problem should be fixed. And I really think an option to skip automatically to the next folder when using folder mode would be a very good idea.

James implied that he views the X3 firmware as stable and that we should not expect much more. Seems strange to me to stop at a beta release with one well known bug. But we keep buying the products (like I purchased the X1 also) so guess we have learned to live with "issues".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back