Jul 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #11,626 of 17,484
i modded my X3's amp section .... cheeers :beerchug:
What Do?
You just can't come here and say you modded the amp! Spill the beans! :D

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #11,627 of 17,484
i modded my X3's amp section .... cheeers :beerchug:

What Do?
You just can't come here and say you modded the amp! Spill the beans! :D

There's an X3 mod thread, wherein ClieOS recommended tried swapping out the opamp for better SQ. I'm curious after opamp rolling with the E12 DIY and also hope Mmet divulges all his secrets :wink:.

Here's a LINK to the X3 Mod thread ClieOS started:smile:. His suggestion is to replace stock opamp with AD8620, which is more neutral and less power-hungry. It's also the stock opamp in the E12 and E12DIY.

Jul 20, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #11,628 of 17,484
Here's Mmet's post from the X3 Mod thread:
FWIW .... my first smd work is done successfully by replacing AD8397 with AD8066 :beerchug:  

seems clearer now ... much clearer ... with a nice sound signature and nicer bass than stock 

I'm curious to read over that thread now even though there's no way I'm going to mod my X3 myself. Maybe I could convince someone else to do it for me - maybe practice their smd skills :wink:.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #11,630 of 17,484
  Hello,

Here is a little chart for X3 users... with EARSONICS EM3pro Ciems !

Don't forget, 4h per day maximum !

Curious if this can  be extrapolated to other 'phones based on sensitivity and impedance so I can determine what my typical settings are.

EarSonics EM3-PRO Specs (copy/paste from EarSonics website)
Sensitivity: 124 dB/mW
Frequency response : 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 46 ohms
Driver: 3 balanced armature drivers , 2-way passive crossover.

Jul 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #11,631 of 17,484

Curious if this can  be extrapolated to other 'phones based on sensitivity and impedance so I can determine what my typical settings are.

EarSonics EM3-PRO Specs (copy/paste from EarSonics website)
Sensitivity: 124 dB/mW
Frequency response : 20 Hz -18 kHz
Impédance: 46 ohms
Driver: 3 balanced armature drivers , 2-way passive crossover.

No, manufacturers don't always use the same measurement protocol...

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #11,632 of 17,484
I just tried listening to my x3 with the line out using akg q701's. The volume is equivalent to using headphone out at 83 on the dial. My question is: is there any difference in sound quality using it this way, or are HO and LO the same? Of course I can't adjust volume on LO but listening to classical, it's fine.

Jul 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #11,634 of 17,484
I just tried listening to my x3 with the line out using akg q701's. The volume is equivalent to using headphone out at 83 on the dial. My question is: is there any difference in sound quality using it this way, or are HO and LO the same? Of course I can't adjust volume on LO but listening to classical, it's fine.

As far as I understand, the line out port won't be affected by the Bass and Treble adjustments on the X3.

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #11,638 of 17,484
Here's Mmet's post from the X3 Mod thread:
I'm curious to read over that thread now even though there's no way I'm going to mod my X3 myself. Maybe I could convince someone else to do it for me - maybe practice their smd skills :wink:.

What Do?
You just can't come here and say you modded the amp! Spill the beans!
biggrin.gif

FIRST .... thanks to Trolldragon for helping me by sending me the link about opamp flavors 
that helps me to make my decision about what op amp to use 

Second ... I posted now more detailed description of my experience and sound in the dedicated thread here :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/669830/fiio-x3-mod-ad8397-to-ad8620/195 

it was a very dangerous move to do that by myself but i decided to do it as a sort of taking risk
biggrin.gif
 ... as it is my first SMD work ( i have experience with iron but not like that
bigsmile_face.gif
) and i faced hard time removing the stock opamp without damaging the board ... soldering the new op amp was far more easy ... and the end results worth the risk 

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #11,639 of 17,484
There's an X3 mod thread, wherein ClieOS recommended tried swapping out the opamp for better SQ. I'm curious after opamp rolling with the E12 DIY and also hope Mmet divulges all his secrets ߘɮ

Here's a LINK to the X3 Mod thread ClieOS startedߘĮ His suggestion is to replace stock opamp with AD8620, which is more neutral and less power-hungry. It's also the stock opamp in the E12 and E12DIY.

I sent a pair of AD8620's to a Head-Fi'er in the Philippines so he could mod his X3. The AD8620 has less output than the stock X3 opamp and is way too bright for my liking...

My E12 has an OPA1611 stock, if it had an AD8620 in it that would be cut out quickly and replaced with an LME49860NA...

Jul 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #11,640 of 17,484
You are most welcome Mmet I have pondered the AD8066 but am still not decided...

Congrats on your SMD mod they can be a little scary when one has not done that kind of work. I find it easier to carefully cut the legs off of the old chip first, then all you have is the pads and legs to clean up which is a lot easier on the boards traces.

I shall go have a read of your journey!
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back