The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #8,746 of 17,484
my case. genuine leather, made to order

I ordered it from authorized distributor in Thailand. I guess he get it from above link

I contacted Nerb, and it sounds like the X3 cases were a one-off, special order situation. They're not making them anymore and don't know about availability, which is too bad.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #8,747 of 17,484
  I haven't been on Head-Fi for a long time and haven't read any post in this prihibitively long thread.
Anyway,  I remember that at the beginning people complained about the X3 (mostly software).
Have all those issues been solved?  

How would the X3 work with my Sennheiser HD 595's (50 Ohm) and Beyerdynamics DT 880's (250 Ohm)?

Thanx.

P.S.
I've edited this post because I've found the thread about the X5.

I've had very few issues with my X3 in regards to firmware, but I only got mine very recently with the newer firmware, I didn't deal with the older firmware.

The X3 works very well with my HD600s which are 300 ohm, and they've worked pretty nicely with all the other full size headphones I've got (Momentums, Amperiors, UE6000s) as well as various IEMs

I use everything on low gain as well, and I don't think I've ever had the volume past 25

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #8,748 of 17,484
i just installed the drivers that FiiO provides, without the thesycon software.

is there any reason i would actually need this software too, or not?

what does the software even do?

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #8,749 of 17,484
  i just installed the drivers that FiiO provides, without the thesycon software.

is there any reason i would actually need this software too, or not?

what does the software even do?

It allows you to configure the driver by setting a buffer size and stream type and that allows you to tune the driver for stability or latency. Basically you can decrease the latency risking the stability of your stream which can be useful for movies and/or games if you are sensitive to it. 
By default it seems to be tuned for music playback so for high stability at the cost of latency (that may or may not be there depending on system load). 

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #8,750 of 17,484
  It allows you to configure the driver by setting a buffer size and stream type and that allows you to tune the driver for stability or latency. Basically you can decrease the latency risking the stability of your stream which can be useful for movies and/or games if you are sensitive to it. 
By default it seems to be tuned for music playback so for high stability at the cost of latency (that may or may not be there depending on system load). 

thanks, then i have no need for it, as the latency is very minimal (i think there's more latency when playing sound through my sennheiser RS180, than with the X3)

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #8,751 of 17,484

I've had very few issues with my X3 in regards to firmware, but I only got mine very recently with the newer firmware, I didn't deal with the older firmware.

The X3 works very well with my HD600s which are 300 ohm, and they've worked pretty nicely with all the other full size headphones I've got (Momentums, Amperiors, UE6000s) as well as various IEMs

I use everything on low gain as well, and I don't think I've ever had the volume past 25

Thank you very much.

What the hell is that latency vs. stability? What does that stability mean in this context?
I've never heard about that. - Where can I read about all that?

Thanx.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #8,752 of 17,484
I contacted Nerb, and it sounds like the X3 cases were a one-off, special order situation. They're not making them anymore and don't know about availability, which is too bad.

That's bummer. Beautiful case. A darker stain and I'd be all over that.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #8,753 of 17,484
Mar 4, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #8,754 of 17,484
Has anyone done a comparison between the X3 and X5 from a sound signature perspective?
I'm in the market for either an X3 or X5 but not sure which one to get. I don't have DDS music thus this feature not a big deal although I hear that the X3 will support DDS with firmware upgrade down the road. I really like the sound of the Wolfson DACs thus leaning towards the X3 but intrigued by the TI DAC as well.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #8,755 of 17,484

It's a special case and made to order only. I got it because dealer in Thailand has some in stock. Since I never contact Nerb directly, I don't know much about this. May be they require a minimum order?

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #8,756 of 17,484
James, Joe, I don't understand your silence about random freezes caused by gapless function.

I'm very happy with my X3; I love its musicality matched with my Senn HD600;
I often listen live release (Dave Matthews Band), so I would like to active gapless, but if I active it then I get many random freeze.

Why in Bugzilla that bug has 'In progress' status, but in your firmware update plan is not mentioned?

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #8,757 of 17,484
  James, Joe, I don't understand your silence about random freezes caused by gapless function.

I'm very happy with my X3; I love its musicality matched with my Senn HD600;
I often listen live release (Dave Matthews Band), so I would like to active gapless, but if I active it then I get many random freeze.

Why in Bugzilla that bug has 'In progress' status, but in your firmware update plan is not mentioned?

sorry, maybe we have missed something, but our engineer are working on the new firmware .  and the best way to inform us is send an email to support@fiio.net.  

also , the firmware update plan is official notice . 

BTW, the gapless need more resource to support so it will be better not to work as random mode when the gapless is on.  also, personally , I can't understand why people need random and gapless play at the same time.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 4, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #8,759 of 17,484

Thank you very much.

What the hell is that latency vs. stability? What does that stability mean in this context?
I've never heard about that. - Where can I read about all that?

Thanx.

Stability in this context refers to pauses in playback. If your stream is stable there are no pauses in your audio etc but if you want lowest possible latency between when your PC plays the sound and when it comes out of your headphones you are risking that any deviation in the data transfer to your DAC can cause pauses in the playback. I don't know if there is one place when you can read about it since it's the combination of how USB and ASIO driver work so I would have to refer you to the ASIO and USB documentation. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #8,760 of 17,484
sorry, maybe we have missed something, but our engineer are working on the new firmware .  and the best way to inform us is send an email to support@fiio.net.  

also , the firmware update plan is official notice . 

BTW, the gapless need more resource to support so it will be better not to work as random mode when the gapless is on.  also, personally , I can't understand why people need random and gapless play at the same time.

I dont think people need gapless AND shuffle to work at the same time. I think its just that people normally have gapless enabled by default and dont want to disable it every time they want to use shuffle mode. Perhaps have the shuffle mode automatically ignore the gapless setting?

The "old gapless playback" mode would either delete the ~2 seconds of empty space at the end of a track, or it would queue and buffer the next track. Maybe the default buffer size holds about 2 seconds of music, so in the last 1 second of the current song, it would buffer the first 1 second of the next song and remove any blank space/pause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back