The Fiio X3 Thread.
Nov 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #6,557 of 17,484

Problem is that anything else but RMAA (a.k.a something producing meaningful measurements) costs money. Loads of money.

True, that's why I mentioned one guy that has the equipment and the experience I know of but since found out that he's a persona non grata in these parts and mentioning his name is a touchy subject.
atsmile.gif

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #6,558 of 17,484
mentioning him, his products, his knowledge, and his articles is fine. mentioning WHY he's considered a touchy subject is considered to be the touchy subject, and thats because no one for sure knows the details, and because some adults did not act the way adults should act. Peoples' conduct does not change the fact that nwavguy knows what he was doing and has given the audio community an engineering standard by which to hold all other products accountable, pretty much.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #6,559 of 17,484
also, on the subject of james' comment regarding "flac, alac, etc" as alternatives. you cannot possibly serious about this. You put only 8 gigs internal memory into this product, did not include any memory card, waited 3 months before we figured out how to even get 64 gig cards to work with your product in the first place, dont have any exfat support for the cards, and you're seriously telling people with entirel libraries of mp3 to re-acquire their library in flac/alac/aac?

If that is the mindset, then until the bugs that should never have existed in the first place are fixed, you should reacquire our players and have us reacquire our money.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but you've released a product and people have certain expectations of the product. You need to meet those expectations (working UI with proper sorting, working file formats, working SD card) before you try to exceed those expectations (usb dac functionality). You are fiio. You released a 200 dollar product. we expect E7-level sound from this, not AK120 level sound. If you priced it at 1000 bucks, we would have expected AK120 level sound, and we would have been far more furious.

You have an open policy in which we tell you what problems we experience with the player, but dont tell us that "its too difficult" to do something. Its not. Either your developers are too busy with some other random new feature that they feel is important, or you simply dont want to listen to users anymore. The fact of the matter is, you are missing some very basic functionality and until that is fixed, this exceptional product is not that exceptional.

You've already gone above and beyond in the hardware department because of connectivity options (line out, coax out, crazy durability, excellent battery life, pre-installed screen protector).

You now need to make the software simply catch up. Stop trying to add new features to wow us. we're wow'ed already, just make it work the way it is supposed to. First fix bugs. THEN add features. dont add features and then tell us the bugs are too difficult to fix.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #6,560 of 17,484
ive gotten it almost where i want it, the only thing i couldnt figure out is the background of the actual buttons and menus. So the background of where the play/pause, previous,rewind, stop buttons are, the seek bar, the file/edit/tools stuff. all of that is the ugly windows blue tint, which is fine if you arae rocking the "glacier" theme. But who rocks the "glacier" theme? I just want a nice dark theme, artist/album 2 columb browsing, with a nice spectrum analyzer or 31 band analyzer at the bottom (mono is fine).

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #6,561 of 17,484
  OK, let's stop the argument about distortion of MP3, maybe there are better way to improve the decode for MP3 format, but it is not the job for us right now cause it is too difficult and we have better solution right now ( used flac/wav/ape/alac  and even aac ). 

and all I know that AAC/FLAC/ALAC is better than mp3 format in SQ. 

Well, that's really bad news.

I have loads of mp3's, many of which can't be encoded to flac, as I don't have the lossless source (Amazon downloads, anyone). Besides, as an audio mixer for the BBC for many years, I find mp3 to be extremely acceptable (granted my ears are older than they used to be - I started my audio career well before digital audio became available to the public). I don't really appreciate having to rip to flac to get around mp3 decoder issues and gapless issues. In many ways my nearly 10 year old iRiver H320 (Rockbox'd) is superior :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #6,562 of 17,484

Well, that's really bad news.

I have loads of mp3's, many of which can't be encoded to flac, as I don't have the lossless source (Amazon downloads, anyone). Besides, as an audio mixer for the BBC for many years, I find mp3 to be extremely acceptable (granted my ears are older than they used to be - I started my audio career well before digital audio became available to the public). I don't really appreciate having to rip to flac to get around mp3 decoder issues and gapless issues. In many ways my nearly 10 year old iRiver H320 (Rockbox'd) is superior :frowning2:

I agree.
My mp3 collection barely fits on a 64GB card, transcoding to lossless is nonsense because of space, transcoding to another lossy codec is nonsense because of quality degradation.
So the by JamesFiiO proposed solution, is really no solution.
"cause it is too difficult" sounds to me as we don't care and we have better things to do - no offence.
Coming from an iRiver H140 (Rockbox'd).

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #6,563 of 17,484
  OK, let's stop the argument about distortion of MP3, maybe there are better way to improve the decode for MP3 format, but it is not the job for us right now cause it is too difficult and we have better solution right now ( used flac/wav/ape/alac  and even aac ). 

and all I know that AAC/FLAC/ALAC is better than mp3 format in SQ. 

This bothers me as I have just purchased a Fiio X3 and it's being shipped right now. I made this silly assumption that you guys were working to fix this. At least I have my Cowon J3 for when I want to listen to mp3s, I suppose...

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #6,564 of 17,484
This bothers me as I have just purchased a Fiio X3 and it's being shipped right now. I made this silly assumption that you guys were working to fix this. At least I have my Cowon J3 for when I want to listen to mp3s, I suppose...

I made this assumption that sort g would be fixed at release but what do you know.... Fiios idea of what we think is important vs what we actually find important and expected from a player are we entirely different things, it seems. As long as some work around exists, Fiio is satisfied and believes we should be too.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #6,565 of 17,484

I have similar feelings
frown.gif

Got my X3 today as a birthday present - it was my greatest wish
beyersmile.png

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #6,566 of 17,484
Was

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #6,567 of 17,484
On one hand I can understand James: the X3 is a HIGH RES DAP, not an mp3 player. On the other hand: FiiO made a bad decision to fight a war on two fronts (i.e. debugging/improving the X3 and developing a new X5 DAP when the first isn't really ready). They don't seem to have enough capacity for that. Personally I can wait until they can easily adapt X5 firmware to the X3 (hopefully just a short time after launch), so they would again focus their efforts on "one" software product. I strongly hope the new GUI/fw will have a real database library (incl. playlists, disc-/year-tags, intelligent play modes etc.) and of course replay gain, as well as the much-wanted mp3 floating point upgrade and parametric (no crappy graphic please!) EQ.

Nov 22, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #6,569 of 17,484
On one hand I can understand James: the X3 is a HIGH RES DAP, not an mp3 player. On the other hand: FiiO made a bad decision to fight a war on two fronts (i.e. debugging/improving the X3 and developing a new X5 DAP when the first isn't really ready). They don't seem to have enough capacity for that. Personally I can wait until they can easily adapt X5 firmware to the X3 (hopefully just a short time after launch), so they would again focus their efforts on "one" software product. I strongly hope the new GUI/fw will have a real database library (incl. playlists, disc-/year-tags, intelligent play modes etc.) and of course replay gain, as well as the much-wanted mp3 floating point upgrade and parametric (no crappy graphic please!) EQ.

sure we will keep improving the firmware of X3 in the coming soon, and yes, some work will benefit for X1/X3/X5 at the same time 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 22, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #6,570 of 17,484
  James,

Can anything be done about the blip/click/sound that occurs when playing AAC files with gapless mode on?

Thanks

there will have small click sound between two sound track if they are not the same sample rate or bit depth. it can be solved cause the DAC chip need to reset to another clock frequency. 

of course, we will see whether it happened at the same sample rate

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back