The Fiio X3 Thread.
Sep 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #4,666 of 17,484
Quote:
Thanks for noticing I changed it. I still think it is "stupid" though. People mostly started complaining about OTG because DX50 has support for it and then people start to whine and vent out their frustrations here. The number of OTG requests increased dramatically when the DX50 price was released. 

I wouldn't say "stupid" since I'm quite likely to do it...more OCD in my case....

OTOH, I'd probably achieve a similar result by taking several SD cards with me and swapping as necessary. Currently everything fits on one card, but when it doesn't. I'll buy a second card rather than a hard drive. Much easier to carry, and probably easier to navigate since I mostly use the file browser and wouldn't update the library every time I swapped a card. I think that would work, wouldn't it? 

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #4,667 of 17,484
If you need 2TB of music with you all the time, then you probably have organizational issues? Do you really  need 2 TB of music with you? Unless you are going to vacation in the bahamas for 3 weeks, it may make sense. But then again, I would never take any of my gear on a vacation because I would rather focus my energy on enjoying the destination instead.

Thanks for noticing I changed it. I still think it is "stupid" though. People mostly started complaining about OTG because DX50 has support for it and then people start to whine and vent out their frustrations here. The number of OTG requests increased dramatically when the DX50 price was released. 

You don't need 2TB OTG until you have >6TB of music (my library has been meticulously organized by genres and tagged BTW). I can enjoy sitting on a Bahamas beach AND having 2TB of music to pick from/listen to. Not everyone needs to, but is Headfi about dream or about need?

Out of topic really, but DX50 has not reached end users yet, how would users complain about its OTG? Complain about what? What exactly is wrong with its OTG?

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #4,668 of 17,484
Quote:
You don't need 2TB OTG until you have >6TB of music (which has been meticulously organized by genres and tagged BTW). I can enjoy sitting on a Bahamas beach AND having 2TB of music to pick from/listen to.

Out of topic really, but DX50 has not reached end users yet, how would they complain about its OTG? Complain about what? What exactly is wrong with its OTG?

Sorry but I don't understand what you just said there mate. 

Either way, to each their own. I wouldn't use OTG because I would rather look at other things if I were at the bahamas if you know what I mean 
wink_face.gif

Cheers.
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4,669 of 17,484
Quote:
Out of curiosity, how many Apple products have you owned?

1 x Powerbook

2 x iPod Classic (5.5 and 6th Gen) (both died miserable deaths)

Quote:

Apple controls their process to ensure that they are able to predict every variable that may surface. How many people are having issues with SD card incompatibility, exploding after-market batteries, etc?.

Pardon?

Aftermarket batteries are a non-issue, since Apple won't warranty their hardware if used with 3rd-party components. I'm not referring to substandard 3rd-party items. My issue with Apple is that they squeeze battery life to a rediculous extent, just to make their devices skinny - in other words, they are sacrificing important factors such as battery duration, at the altar of 'bling'.  ...and almost every other manufacturer, big or small, seems to feel compelled to follow Apple's approach, like lemmings.

Take a look at the Powerbook line. They used to have swappable batteries, for people on longhaul flights, or who needed to do an entire days work away from a power socket. Then they decided to do away with swappable batteries altogether. They claimed this was so they could squeeze more lithium polymer real estate into a cramped area, and I do concede that there is a degree of legitimacy to this, particularly with Intel now offering CPUs with improved efficiency. But it was also about differentiating their product from competitors, by having a visibly-seamless unibody design. Personally, I'd much rather have a swappable battery that lasts 70% as long, but which I can easily swap and be back up and running within a minute. These days, it's not about serving the customer's needs as much as it is about looking flash, earning more sales from gullible followers of fashion, and maximizing likelihood of (perceived or actual) obsolescence.

As for SD card compatibility, the percentage of SD cards which present problems is absolutely miniscule, considering how many hundreds of millions of SD cards are sold and used each year. Just look at the pricing structure of the capacity tiers of Apple products, and you'll soon see they are ripping-off their customers for tiny capacity increases. Apple aren't afraid of people using SD cards, from a technical standpoint, they just want to ensure customers will keep upgrading and filling their corporate coffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've had an iphone 4 for 3 years. I don't feel screwed, but according to you I should.

You should have a chat with my mate, Jonathan. He's had several iPhones (3s and 4s), which he uses for work and personal calls, and he's had misery with each and every one of them for their appalling battery life and impossiblity of quick-swapping the battery. I'm not making that up, either, I assure you. People keep saying to him that he should keep a charger handy, which he does, and he's still scuppered, because the non-swappable battery loses capacity the more charge-discharge cycles it has been through.

This is the single biggest reason why whenever I buy a new handset, I always go for Samsung. The HTC One is arguably better than an S4, but because it lacks MicroSD card expansion, and swappable battery, I refuse to buy one.

At least iBasso have finally had the sense to stop this nonsense and start offering battery swappability in their DX50... They may have problems, but they'll also please many people for offering this option.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #4,670 of 17,484
Quote:
most of the issues are firmware related.. (which Fiio is committed to continue to improve).most of the whining is around "why isnt this like an ipod?" the bottom line is that those issues do not prevent you from enjoying music using this device. battery life, durability, sound quality and portability are all above average for a sub-200usd device

I would extend this to above average, period. I don't think it gives up anything compared to the AK100 (which I have tried) and it is one of the more powerful devices on the market to boot.

That said, there are many fine products out there (which we are lucky for), and all have their pluses and minuses.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #4,671 of 17,484
Quote:

Thankyou for your honesty about the update time for large HDD connected to X3, James.

LOL! I think it's much more because Apple want to screw their customers into paying greedy prices for higher capacity, and to make them upgrade their DAP when higher capacity one is released!
wink_face.gif

Agreed.

Anything But iPOD!

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #4,672 of 17,484
Quote:
I have checked all of my ID3 tags and they look complete unless you know of a different and better way other than checking the properties of a file through windows or dbPoweramp. I still can't see any of the files on my SD card when going in through categories/Album and I don't see where that would have anything to do with incomplete ID3 tags.

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Picard

This is a way to check and standardize your files.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #4,673 of 17,484
Quote:
Yes, please add USB OTG to X3, James.

It will allow an user to connect a 2TB self-powered portable hard drive. Alternatively, using an external USB DAC/amp is also enabled by OTG.

With OTG on X3, I don't see any special reason to buy an iBasso DX50.

Yeah, the DX50 looks like a nice piece of kit, but they are still a ways out to full production, so I bought the X3, I wanted it for my fall trips.

iBasso doesn't have an amp that works for me, and it seems simpler to me to get both units from one manufacturer.

Will be interesting to see how the DX50 stacks up in UI and support.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #4,674 of 17,484
Quote:
You should split your library in 2 macro folders (at least). My X3 reads 256 folders on my 64GB Transcend card and 258 folders on the SanDisk one. I've splitted my +300 music library in two and it works like a charm!

What is your file structure?  I heard it can only readr two levels deep.  So you can have 256 album folders under your "macro folder," and then broswe into that folder for the individual songs?

I don't listen to pop music.  I have never been to a concert where there was a different band playing every 3 minutes, and I don't listen to my music that way.  That's what the radio is for.

My music is organized and listened to on an album basis.  

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #4,677 of 17,484
Quote:
If you need 2TB of music with you all the time, then you probably have organizational issues? Do you really  need 2 TB of music with you? Unless you are going to vacation in the bahamas for 3 weeks, it may make sense. But then again, I would never take any of my gear on a vacation because I would rather focus my energy on enjoying the destination instead.

You don't need to listen to music at all, right?  So if the X3 doesn't work for you then you have issues?

These inane FiOO apologists make this forum close to useless.  The majority of valid concerns are shot down by half a dozen "experts" that explain why the X3 is just fine, and if there is any problem it is because of the way the person unplugged it, the way  the person organized their music, that the person wants something that is not needed, etc.

And all that does is filter the forum members from James/FIOo because he doesn't need to respond because he has the apologists acting as a buffer.

If you have a solution let's hear it, otherwise be quiet.

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #4,678 of 17,484
Quote:
we are woking in this, but if we success, X3 can work as a USB DAC and also connect to a extra U disk or self powered hard disk too.

q7tVlpA.gif

Quote:
What is your file structure?  I heard it can only readr two levels deep.  So you can have 256 album folders under your "macro folder," and then broswe into that folder for the individual songs?

root > MUSIC1 > Artist A > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
                         > Artist B > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
                         >...
                         > Artist L > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
root > MUSIC2 > Artist M > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
                         > Artist N > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
                         >...
                         > Artist Z > Album α...ω > Track 1...n

I have <200 Artist folders in each macro folder (MUSIC1/2) and around 1 to 10 Album folders for each artist. I probably have +1,000 Album/EP folders in total but I'm too lazy to count them all. :p

Sep 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #4,679 of 17,484
Quote:

q7tVlpA.gif

root > MUSIC1 > Artist A > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
                         > Artist B > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
                         >...
                         > Artist L > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
root > MUSIC2 > Artist M > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
                         > Artist N > Album α...ω > Track 1...n
                         >...
                         > Artist Z > Album α...ω > Track 1...n

I have <200 Artist folders in each macro folder (MUSIC1/2) and around 1 to 10 Album folders for each artist. I probably have +1,000 Album/EP folders in total but I'm too lazy to count them all. :p

Well that certainly a viable file structure.  

Does anyone know if FiOO has a return policy? so one could possibly return it if it didn't work as expected?

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #4,680 of 17,484
Quote:

LOL! I think it's much more because Apple want to screw their customers into paying greedy prices for higher capacity, and to make them upgrade their DAP when higher capacity one is released!
wink_face.gif

I'm sure an Apple apologist would dismiss this altogether, and it is perhaps a bit hyperbolic of a statement,  but there is some truth to it.

For example.....with the flash memory  iPhones and iPads.....each capacity bump upwards equals $100 more. Now for the jump from 64GB to 128GB, the additional $100 may be somewhat justifiable.....but not from 16GB to 32GB, or 32GB to 64GB. 

Quote:

Out of curiosity, how many Apple products have you owned?

Apple controls their process to ensure that they are able to predict every variable that may surface. How many people are having issues with SD card incompatibility, exploding after-market batteries, etc?

I've had an iphone 4 for 3 years. I don't feel screwed, but according to you I should.

There is also some truth to what you are saying here as well. That said, I have owned several Apple products, and still own a couple, and at some point, I might buy another.....yet that didn't preclude me from pointing out what I did above. 

Quote:

I sure as heck wouldn't, but I don't have 2TB either. (probably because I don't have any high-res stuff)  

Quote:
Agreed.

Anything But iPOD!

Haters gonna hate! 
tongue.gif

I have been a member of that website for several years, and yet since I joined there, I have had a few iPods, and they have some nice products if you can get past the bias.
wink.gif
 Are they the best? No, but they are far from the worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back