The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jan 19, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #17,401 of 17,484
The trick of turning on the EQ for the line out worked! I just left all the settings at 0 - but it still worked.

All my amps are buried behind back seats that do NOT fold down. It's annoying how buried and inaccessible everything in my install is.
I see this EQ discussion is from November, but I thought I'd chime in. I was always dissatisfied with firmware 3.4 when using line out, either on my car stereo or connected to my garage stereo (Yamaha receiver plus Altec speakers), so for those environments I'd revert back to my old favorite, the 2.1 firmware. But I just tried 3.4 with EQ on, custom setting, levels at 0. That sounded pretty good. I'll have to compare that to the 2.1. I have no idea why it would make that much difference with a "regular" home stereo.
I'll have to try the same EQ-on experiment with the car stereo.
Anyway, it would be really convenient to not flip back and forth between two firmwares depending on whether I'm using headphones or line out.

Jan 30, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #17,402 of 17,484
Wow, I have missed a lot of posts here! Nice to see it has been more active.

My X3 has pretty much been the most used it ever has been recently. A few years ago before covid was around, i was working 5 days a week and the bus journeys would add up to around 10 hours a week when i used the player. It tended to pretty much last the whole week back then.

I'm working again now, but although less days, i use it at work with the line out. Including the journeys to work and my working days, I would say that for the past month, it has been getting 20 - 25 hours use over just 3 days each week. I choose to charge it early now, before the battery runs flat just so I know i can get a full work day from it. I do use the line out at work with a bluetooth speaker (i much prefer using cables anyway!) I would say that it lasts about a day and a half. Over the past month, I would say it gets around 6 hours on line out at work, and an hour and a half from the headphone output each day. Certainly still getting around 10 hours, though I think it will probably be a little less if I just used the headphone output.

Now that I use the X3 so much more, as in selecting music, constantly flicking to a custom EQ, the bugs are more annoying than they used to be. The EQ bug especially. It never remains on the EQ you left it on when you power it off and back on, despite saying so. You then have to turn it off and back on again.
I personally would say that the custom EQ set to flat compared to EQ being off has a negative impact on the sound. It to my ears sounds like it compresses it. It also becomes softer and quieter. However, i think it makes sense for digital Equalizers to do this as it avoids distortion when boosting the frequencies. I use a custom EQ at work for my IKEA Eneby 20 speaker. It lacks low end bass and it's own EQ just boosts the mid bass too much. It's treble boost is around 10khz which just sounds wrong. Bumping up 62, reducing 250 and bumping up 16k makes it sound a lot better, however, it still sounds more compressed and softer than it does without the EQ on.

Other bugs i notice is the annoying shortcut to the menu. Pretty much every time i use the X3 now, I use the EQ. And as it always forgets it is on, i use the quick menu to get back to it. If you accidentally don't do the second press and hold return key long enough, it is guaranteed that the track position, or number will get messed up. At least this is predictable and can be avoidable if you always remember to press the return once then press ok each time the player comes on.

The X3 may always have been like this, but I'm noticing a lot of brief freezes when file browsing. I used to just listen from a - z in order, but now i listen at work, i choose more appropriate music, so often select and it can be a bit tedious.

The card I use is a 128gb U1 I. It is REALLY slow even with a card reader. 12mbps max. I don't know if this is related to laggy navigating though. I would like to have more storage soon though as it is very close to being full. Does anyone have experience with higher than 128GB cards? I nearly have 8000 tracks, so maybe it is the track quantity slowing it down. But it sometimes is instant, so I'm not convinced.

Despite it looking old, i still love the feeling of this in the hand. And the buttons feel really nice. I still don't have a smartphone, mainly because I really don't get on with touch screen. I struggle to type on tablet touch screens even. It is obviously how technology is moving on, but i find it a real shame that most DAP company's are now making the vast majority of the functions on the screen itself. I wish I could get over this, but i find that on small screens, it is really annoying to select things with your fingers as you literally block the screen as you do that. At least with buttons, you get used to the physical feel of them, never have to look at them again and can always see the entire screen. You won't be able to get used to fully operating new DAPs from your pocket! With the X3, i have it in a small jacket pocket and just feel for the grooves for the volume and skip track and am even used to navigating back to the settings. Admittedly that was not quick to learn!

I've had this since 2014 and I haven't had anything that has had the battery reliability even close to this. I do travel on buses an awful lot, and i can certainly say that the combination of what is in my avatar will have been used well over 1000 hours on them. If I try and add up all the other uses it has had, it could well have had over 3000 hours of use.

I wouldn't want to sell this, but I have been thinking that I wouldn't mind an upgrade some time and keep this for other uses. But what is there out there that isn't touch screen?

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #17,403 of 17,484
The card I use is a 128gb U1 I. It is REALLY slow even with a card reader. 12mbps max. I don't know if this is related to laggy navigating though. I would like to have more storage soon though as it is very close to being full. Does anyone have experience with higher than 128GB cards? I nearly have 8000 tracks, so maybe it is the track quantity slowing it down. But it sometimes is instant, so I'm not convinced.
I have been using a 256GB card for quite awhile, both with 2.1 firmware and 3.4 firmware. I haven't had any really irritating problems other than an understandable lag when getting to a "play all" list when using 3.4 firmware.

I almost solely listen to stuff I've recorded from vinyl, and I like the idea that ALL of it (140GB) is on one card. I still like 2.1 for line out best, but I have gotten used to 3.4 for use with earbuds. The EQ-on trick helps a little with 3.4 when using line out, but it still sounds a little too processed for my tastes. Line out using 2.1 just sounds really clean in comparison.

I can't do any kind of shuffling with 2.1, of course, so I have to get inventive with how I have things in folders... all songs by one artist in one folder so I can shuffle them, etc.

Like you, I have been using my X3 quite a lot lately. I like the buttons, the battery life. User interface isn't great, but heck, once you hit play and let it go, you're pretty much done with the interface hassle and you're just enjoying a great little player.

I periodically go back to my iPod video plus headphone amp (which achieves a kind of X3 power), but I get irritated at how limited the formats and bit rates are, and the very limited storage. Great sound quality, though.

Feb 16, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #17,404 of 17,484
Ear acclimation is such a weird thing. I know there's been a lot written on the subject. It still makes hardly any sense to me.
For years I listened to firmware 2.1 in earbuds/headphones , and that's what sounded "correct" to me. 3.0 and above sounded "processed" by comparison.
Now, 3.4 sounds really good in headphones, and 2.1 sounds... harsh, I guess is the word.
And the only reason is acclimation.

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #17,405 of 17,484
Think I need to upgrade my memory card!

P1010171.JPG

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #17,406 of 17,484
Think I need to upgrade my memory card!

P1010171.JPG
it's so cool to see people still using these! if you do upgrade your µSD, don't forget to format it in the X3 or it might not work...

Mar 19, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #17,407 of 17,484
I used to just used it listening from A - Z with artist and album folders. I rarely searched for music. Now I do more often, the laggy menu is a bit tedious, but is predictable. I just know how to use it and would find it hard to get used to something else. I really dislike touchscreen stuff so i may have to stick with it. Hope a 256gb card will work ok.

Mar 19, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #17,408 of 17,484
I used to just used it listening from A - Z with artist and album folders. I rarely searched for music. Now I do more often, the laggy menu is a bit tedious, but is predictable. I just know how to use it and would find it hard to get used to something else. I really dislike touchscreen stuff so i may have to stick with it. Hope a 256gb card will work ok.
I have a 256GB in mine. Works fine, but I only have ~5000 songs on the card. I have to imaging trying to use the database with considerably more than 10k songs will get pretty frustrating. I know even loading a big playlist on the X3 is brutally slow compared to my M2s.
I totally agree with you about touchscreens. I recently tried connecting my phone to my hipdac. Stuck with it for 1 day before I got PO'd and deleted the music players from my phone. Still have to say the older Sony players (A1x/A2x - I have an A17) are by far the best UI and control layout I've used. They're pretty slow with big databases too, however.

Mar 20, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #17,409 of 17,484
I suppose this would have had a song no. limit on the media library, in which case a nice hack is to sort songs into folders according to their tags first on the card on your PC e.g. using mp3tag and then browsing by folder... :)

Weren't we all here when I first started working for FiiO... brings back old memories 🙂

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 20, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #17,410 of 17,484
I have a 256GB in mine. Works fine, but I only have ~5000 songs on the card. I have to imaging trying to use the database with considerably more than 10k songs will get pretty frustrating. I know even loading a big playlist on the X3 is brutally slow compared to my M2s.
I totally agree with you about touchscreens. I recently tried connecting my phone to my hipdac. Stuck with it for 1 day before I got PO'd and deleted the music players from my phone. Still have to say the older Sony players (A1x/A2x - I have an A17) are by far the best UI and control layout I've used. They're pretty slow with big databases too, however.
Pretty much everything I have are 320kbps mp3s. One reason why the space they consume isn't that much. But with my music taste being prog rock, a huge amount of those tracks are over 10 minutes, so maybe the space taken up is quite a lot :D

I have folders names A-E, F-J, K-O, P-S and T-Z now. I'd say it takes at most 15 seconds navigating to a band I know the name of. Obviously no search feature!

I still don't have a smartphone, but usually do take a tablet around with me when I go out on public transport. Being so used to buttons, I still struggle to understand how people type properly on a keyboard that in reality isn't there. When I go to work, I take my 11.6 tablet with a big keyboard case and that is much easier to type on. But having used Spotify on that once or twice when I forgot my X3, the sound just doesn't compare. Lots of interference. It may go loud enough for my K550s, but makes it sound harsh as it is probably at the tablets limit.

I will do a test some time, but I think I'm still getting 8 - 10 hours out of my X3 and I'm using it more now than ever before.

I think I can certainly say that considering the amount I've used it since my last post, it will have had over 3000 hours now.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #17,412 of 17,484
I'm still using mine. I haven't had any problems with the 3.4FW version. I also have a 1st Gen X1 and and M6. The 1st Gen X3 imo sounds better than both on my Sennheiser headphones and it gets louder in the car which I like, there is more amplification.
I still also have mine man this thing is like a little mini tank it literally never has a problem and always has such great fidelity. One other thing that this thing out beats most other objects is when you charge it it never loses that charge in the cell it will have that battery power a year or two later when you forget about it. Not much technology these days can be said to hold the charge that way.

May 16, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #17,413 of 17,484
I suppose this would have had a song no. limit on the media library, in which case a nice hack is to sort songs into folders according to their tags first on the card on your PC e.g. using mp3tag and then browsing by folder... :)

Weren't we all here when I first started working for FiiO... brings back old memories 🙂
I was surprised to see this thread pop up again. The X3 was my first exposure to portable hi res, other than ipods. Joe ran the most cool process I have ever seen to let customers vote on new features as the unit matured. I have owned many machines since then but this has a warm place in my heart.

May 16, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #17,414 of 17,484
Two things. Okay, three.
1. In two years, I will have had my first gen X3 for TEN years. Doesn't seem like that long. It's held up without a hiccup.
2. I was surprised after I switched for fun to firmware 2.1 and back to 3.4 that my "existing playlist" was retained in firmware 3.4. That was cool.
3. I bought FiiO's FD1 earbuds, and they sound excellent with the X3 with firmware 3.4. (Playing FLAC, bass 2 and treble 0). And they're very comfortable. I'd never had those loop-over-the-ear style earbuds. They're 32 ohm, only $60.

May 19, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #17,415 of 17,484
Been rocking my unit since 2013. However, since y'day it refuses to play back any audio and gives out a clicking sound in about every second or so. I run the latest firmware btw. This problem occurred when I tried to play back 24/192 files. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back