The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 19, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #16,966 of 17,484
Don't have a lot experience in the Linux realm, but I have tried distros of both Mint and Kubuntu and both times it was simply plug and play. The only problem i had was the lousy selection of music players for Linux.

You're trying the latest drivers for Windows I assume. Stock or modded firmware? Really, if you're using a new PC with a clean install, I don't know what the problem could be.

Mar 20, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #16,967 of 17,484
  Don't have a lot experience in the Linux realm, but I have tried distros of both Mint and Kubuntu and both times it was simply plug and play. The only problem i had was the lousy selection of music players for Linux.

You're trying the latest drivers for Windows I assume. Stock or modded firmware? Really, if you're using a new PC with a clean install, I don't know what the problem could be.

I don't have windows on anything of mine. On my new PC, it is pretty much a copy of exactly of what was on my old one so it wasn't a totally clean install. I still don't think that that is to do with it as it seems to have the same issue on Ubuntu on other PCs too.

The firmware is your latest modded 3.4 but it isn't any different with the official firmware. What I find strange is that is works fine if I go back to FW3.0, it works fine.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #16,969 of 17,484
What mods exist for 3.4?

I tried a mod for the x3ii that made it more readable in sunlight and that was killer

As I said, I use Mr Trev's firmware.

One reason, the main menu is in line of 6, not 2x2x2. I couldn't stand it when it was like that as the down arrow sent you right then down, right then down and so on.

With Mr Trev's firmware, just press the down arrow and it brings you down to the place you expect. You would get used to the official firmware in the end I suppose though.

The main reason I use this custom themed firmware is that theme 3/6 is on a bright white background. In sunlight, it is way easier than the official firmware. Also better than any other custom firmware I have tried for this purpose. You may have to send Mr Trev a PM as I can't find the page where a link to that firmware last had a link to download the firmware.

Mar 20, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #16,970 of 17,484

I don't have windows on anything of mine. On my new PC, it is pretty much a copy of exactly of what was on my old one so it wasn't a totally clean install. I still don't think that that is to do with it as it seems to have the same issue on Ubuntu on other PCs too.

The firmware is your latest modded 3.4 but it isn't any different with the official firmware. What I find strange is that is works fine if I go back to FW3.0, it works fine.

My bad. I just assumed that when you said new pc it had windows preinstalled.
Ever try another distro? Even just a live CD should help to determine if its a Linux thing or a Fiio problem.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #16,972 of 17,484
  An issue I have always had with my X3 is that the DAC seems to be unusable with this firmware and Ubuntu 14.04. I did get told that it could be to do with pulse audio.

I have recently bought a new PC and still, when I set the X3 to DAC mode, as soon as I plug in into a USB port on my PC, it makes my PC become very unresponsive. Bad enough for me to have to do a total restart. I just can't understand how plugging the X3 in can instantly cause this.

I am wanting to try out the X3 more than I have done before as my E10 seems to be having issues with my new PC. I seem to hear lots of the internal noise from my PC when it is working hard. It is pretty bad through the line out. I didn't have this problem with my old PC. I wanted to test to see if the X3 has this problem. I obviously can't test this out though.

The E10 works fine with pulse audio and my PC so I don't know why the X3 won't. They are both USB DACs. So many things seem to have gone wrong for me with my FiiO products lately. My E11 is starting to give up too and that is about my most used device. I often have that plugged into the line out of the E10 at my PC.

The DAC on the X3 works fine if I go to a older firmware such as 3.0 but that would be annoying to have to switch between as the newer firmware is much better in most areas.

Yes the issue is definitely with PulseAudio. The same happens with Fedora 23. There is actually a fix for this. You can temporarily disable PulseAudio before plugging in the X3 as a DAC and then use DeadBeeF or something for playback directly through ALSA.

First edit /etc/pulse/client.conf, navigate to the line autospawn=yes and replace the yes with a no. Finally, reboot the system. This is a one time change.
Now, everytime before plugging in the X3, open a terminal and run pulseaudio --kill. After unplugging the X3, run pulseaudio --start to start using PulseAudio again.

Mar 22, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #16,973 of 17,484
  Yes the issue is definitely with PulseAudio. The same happens with Fedora 23. There is actually a fix for this. You can temporarily disable PulseAudio before plugging in the X3 as a DAC and then use DeadBeeF or something for playback directly through ALSA.

First edit /etc/pulse/client.conf, navigate to the line autospawn=yes and replace the yes with a no. Finally, reboot the system. This is a one time change.
Now, everytime before plugging in the X3, open a terminal and run pulseaudio --kill. After unplugging the X3, run pulseaudio --start to start using PulseAudio again.

I may try this out at some point. I am used to pulse audio and have always liked the way it works so it may be hard for me to change.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #16,975 of 17,484
  Where cna I find the hidden database file? Currently having this problem... Thanks!

Its in the internal memory. You need to show hidden files & unhide protected system files <careful with this one> to see them.

I always thought it'd be useful if Fiio added a feature to reset the database, this ever make onto the newer models?

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #16,977 of 17,484
  Its in the internal memory. You need to show hidden files & unhide protected system files <careful with this one> to see them.

I always thought it'd be useful if Fiio added a feature to reset the database, this ever make onto the newer models?

Sorry to bother, but the only thing that shows up when I show hidden folders and protected system files is the System Volume Information folder. What should I be looking for?

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #16,978 of 17,484
  Sorry to bother, but the only thing that shows up when I show hidden folders and protected system files is the System Volume Information folder. What should I be looking for?

I've never been able to get it to work either (X3 second gen). With the device plugged in via USB, all I see is the files that are on the SD card in the player. It's definitely not in System Volume Information, that's NTFS right?

I have tried it on OS X, Win XP, Win 7, and Red Hat. The OS only wants to show the storage card, which IMHO is the proper behavior. In order to see the on-board DB, it should show up as a separate mount point or drive ID. 

As for resetting the DB specifically, would inserting an empty SD card, and doing a DB rebuild, work? 

btw, with the SD card removed, and the X3 powered up, the device still shows artists and titles, so the DB is definitely internal.

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #16,979 of 17,484
OK. Here's what it looks like on my system (Win 7)

Not sure where you guys are getting the System Volume… from. You do have the X3 in storage mode, right.
The X3 should just mount as a removable drive - in my case H:, and I:, but if you eject your SD you'll only get one drive which can make things a tad easier (yes if you do a DB update without a card it will wipe the database if you have nothing stored on the internal memory).
The 2 database files at the bottom (only one will be hidden) are the ones to delete.

<edit> if you guys are using 2nd gen X3 - this is a thread for the 1st gen players - then just eject your sd card and then update. The X3ii has no internal memory other than the SoC cache

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #16,980 of 17,484
The easiest way to clear the database is to remove the card and do an update on the media library. This will clear any old database that is there. At least that's how it works with the X5. Of course, if you have songs on the internal storage it will include those tracks in the media update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back