The Fiio X3 Thread.
Mar 27, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #15,543 of 17,484
  Something really strange just happened to my X3!
confused.gif

I had it turned on charging as it was playing music. I happened to contact the X3 with my E10 and the X3 made a really loud pop through my headphones and turned itself off. My E10 is fine but that happened to be on too. I then tried to turn it on when it wasn't charging and it didn't come on. Then I put it back on charge and the red light came on but I still couldn't get it to turn on. I then tried pressing the reset button and it has now come on but has lost almost all of the battery life?! It was full before and it is now it is doing its force shut down. I have never known the X3 to discharge within minutes like this. I will leave it on charge over the next hour and see if it sorts its self out.

Just very strange that the X3 contacting my E10 caused this. The fact that the are both metal and were both getting powered at the time?

Hope my X3 will be ok!

Sounds like a similar problem that @peter123 had. Seems the battery got buggered. Maybe he can chime in with some help, but I'd be looking at replacing the battery.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #15,544 of 17,484
  Sounds like a similar problem that @peter123 had. Seems the battery got buggered. Maybe he can chime in with some help, but I'd be looking at replacing the battery.

It is fully charged now and the light is green. I asked FiiO and I tried to be clear when describing my issue but they seemed to think that my X3 was connected to my E10 by cable. I did say (contact as in the metal cases touching each other). I don't know how I could have been more clear. I have replied and I will see if they understand this time.

I am away from home over the next week and I can't do anything about it until after but I will see how I get along with it. All they suggested doing was doing a factory update or a firmware upgrade. I am on your custom 3.34b and i can't upgrade from that at the moment.
Although they did think that the battery problem was a software problem. They said that the firmware can't recognize the battery degree. Hopefully, the unit only thought the battery was that low. As it charged so quick, that would make more sense. Maybe is only actually only lost about 30% of the charge? If it lasts its normal amount of time, then I think it will have just been an inaccurate reading that automatically made the unit have to force itself off.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #15,545 of 17,484
It is fully charged now and the light is green. I asked FiiO and I tried to be clear when describing my issue but they seemed to think that my X3 was connected to my E10 by cable. I did say (contact as in the metal cases touching each other). I don't know how I could have been more clear. I have replied and I will see if they understand this time.

I am away from home over the next week and I can't do anything about it until after but I will see how I get along with it. All they suggested doing was doing a factory update or a firmware upgrade. I am on your custom 3.34b and i can't upgrade from that at the moment.
Although they did think that the battery problem was a software problem. They said that the firmware can't recognize the battery degree. Hopefully, the unit only thought the battery was that low. As it charged so quick, that would make more sense. Maybe is only actually only lost about 30% of the charge? If it lasts its normal amount of time, then I think it will have just been an inaccurate reading that automatically made the unit have to force itself off.

Sometimes the language barrier can be difficult but I'd press the fact that it 'touched' the other device. Thanks for the update and let us know how it goes.

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #15,546 of 17,484
Well, I have contacted FiiO and I will see what they say.

Sounds like a similar problem that @peter123
 had. Seems the battery got buggered. Maybe he can chime in with some help, but I'd be looking at replacing the battery.

Yes, I was thinking the same. This sounds very similar to what happened to my unit. Although I've got no idea what caused it to start in my case the rest seem very similar. I actually opened my unit to completely disconnect the battery for a while and when I tried to put it back together I noticed that the battery had raised to the extent that I wasn't even able to close the X3 properly again. That's when I decided to contact FiiO support. Unfortunately my impression with FiiO support isn't very impressive, they've still not answered a single one of my emails (I've been in contact with another person at FiiO as well that's not in support and he's been very helpful but as soon as I'm trying to talk with support directly nothing happens). I didn't get any response until I contacted Joe here and then I got a couple of emails from support and I think that they've shipped a new battery but I've never got any response on the email I sent to ask about that either. My suggestion is to not use your X3 anymore and PM Joe about your problem.

Good luck!

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #15,547 of 17,484
This is what you want to avoid! If it's swollen responsibly recycle it.

Lithium battery fires are scary!! I've experience it first hand with my sons RC truck,

and could have been a fire with my 2006 MacBookPro.

It's like a supernova in the battery world when a lithium battery dies for good.

Don't want it happening in a home.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #15,548 of 17,484
Yes, I was thinking the same. This sounds very similar to what happened to my unit. Although I've got no idea what caused it to start in my case the rest seem very similar. I actually opened my unit to completely disconnect the battery for a while and when I tried to put it back together I noticed that the battery had raised to the extent that I wasn't even able to close the X3 properly again. That's when I decided to contact FiiO support. Unfortunately my impression with FiiO support isn't very impressive, they've still not answered a single one of my emails (I've been in contact with another person at FiiO as well that's not in support and he's been very helpful but as soon as I'm trying to talk with support directly nothing happens). I didn't get any response until I contacted Joe here and then I got a couple of emails from support and I think that they've shipped a new battery but I've never got any response on the email I sent to ask about that either. My suggestion is to not use your X3 anymore and PM Joe about your problem.

Good luck!

Not sure what's happen to Fiio CS. I tried emailing about the batteries as well about a week ago, but never got a response. When I first inquired last year, they got back to me within 24 hrs. each time.

Mar 28, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #15,549 of 17,484
Something really strange just happened to my X3!:confused:

I had it turned on charging as it was playing music. I happened to contact the X3 with my E10 and the X3 made a really loud pop through my headphones and turned itself off. My E10 is fine but that happened to be on too. I then tried to turn it on when it wasn't charging and it didn't come on. Then I put it back on charge and the red light came on but I still couldn't get it to turn on. I then tried pressing the reset button and it has now come on but has lost almost all of the battery life?! It was full before and it is now it is doing its force shut down. I have never known the X3 to discharge within minutes like this. I will leave it on charge over the next hour and see if it sorts its self out.

Just very strange that the X3 contacting my E10 caused this. The fact that the are both metal and were both getting powered at the time?

Hope my X3 will be ok!

I found X3 to be very sensitive to static. I handle a lot of PVC at work and even slightest static discharge to my body would turn X3 off. I only use it now when we work with paper. Kinda sucks... :mad:

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #15,550 of 17,484
I found X3 to be very sensitive to static. I handle a lot of PVC at work and even slightest static discharge to my body would turn X3 off. I only use it now when we work with paper. Kinda sucks... :mad:

I think this could be what caused my X3 to force its self off! I did feel something a little like static. It was very minor but must have been enough to force it off. What doesn't make sense is that that battery indicator went crazy and it ended up loosing a lot of charge.

It does seem to be better now and has lasted a long time without being charged. I will just have to see what happens.

I have sent joe a PM and I will wait for a reply.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #15,551 of 17,484
Not sure what's happen to Fiio CS. I tried emailing about the batteries as well about a week ago, but never got a response. When I first inquired last year, they got back to me within 24 hrs. each time.

Yeah, after reading a lot good about it here over the years I'm pretty surprised of the lack of suppor.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #15,555 of 17,484
This is what you want to avoid! If it's swollen responsibly recycle it.

Lithium battery fires are scary!! I've experience it first hand with my sons RC truck,

and could have been a fire with my 2006 MacBookPro.

It's like a supernova in the battery world when a lithium battery dies for good.

Don't want it happening in a home.

Saw a story on the news when somebody crashed their Tesla. The battery pack split open and caught fire. It was like a Chinese New Year celebration, with strings of firecrackers going off. You can understand why airlines won't ship lithium batteries anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back