The Fiio X3 Thread.
Feb 23, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #15,331 of 17,484
Listening with play lists or shuffle is like listening to Pandora or the radio, which is one of the most common ways people listen or listened to music (radio isn't as popular as it used to be, but that has more to do with the kind of music that gets played on the radio rather than the format).

Are you really trying to criticize people for the way they listen to music, be it album or shuffle/playlist? Seriously? Sometimes people want to listen to an album. Sometimes people want to listen to a mix or variety. There was a reason that in their day, mixtapes and mix cds were really popular.

No, there is no problem at all if that is the way that people want to listen to their music. It was just that people shouldn't be surprised one track is suddenly louder than another. I should have worded my post better. It is just my opinion. I have always prefered to listen to albums. I don't mind an album of mixed tracks because at least they are all the same volume level. I just don't like the idea of listening to a playlist of very different tracks from different albums. (probably why I don't like the radio much). One of the things that puts me off on the X3 even more is that volume difference issue. As I listen to albums though, that is no problem at all.

Sorry about that post.

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #15,332 of 17,484
Only referring to MP3 files, of course, but my collection is 320 MP3 and all MP3Gained, works flawlessly, all at similar volume.  And, my collection spreads from quiet, such as Steve Winwood Back in the HIghlife original cd, to the newest Slipknot, which is as loud as you can go without digital distortion(like Metallica Death Magnetic).

So, a solution exists for MP3 files, although I know that's likely the minority with a device like this being discussed in this thread.  However, I would estimate 90% of X3 users never come to a forum such as this, and 75% of them use a majority of compressed files, likely MP3.  

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #15,333 of 17,484
I bought a camera connection kit/usb hub that looks similar to this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Connection-Kit-USB-Hub-fur-iPad-Adapter-fur-Apple-iPad-1-2-Kartenleser-Weiss-/191474503891?pt=DE_Lautsprecher_Martin&hash=item2c94c510d3

It worked in unpowered mode.

Here's a picture of mine:

The white plug going into the ipad was poorly connected to the cable. I got a 50% refund from the Chinese seller and super-glued and taped it, that's why it looks strange in the picture.

I could not get the unit suggested by Carsten to work.

But, the simple two port hub from Amazon that somebody suggested works! I am trying to find the post. But I am using nplayer right now on my ipad to play hi res files.

The cck goes to the two port hub. Then the regular x3 sub cable goes to the hub. And yep the x3 is an Apple ipad DAC. This is 30 pin unit.

Interesting that the x3 says everything is 24bit 44 kHz. I suspect that is not accurate. The unit has volume treble and bass controls. Using latest beta firmware.

Holy buckets. That E07 may go on eBay after all. It will be great to carry one less machine.

Feb 24, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #15,334 of 17,484
  Only referring to MP3 files, of course, but my collection is 320 MP3 and all MP3Gained, works flawlessly, all at similar volume.

Good point, and spot-on of course. There exists a lossless way like this I believe to pre-convert mp3's to a similar volume, *before* copying them to the X3.
Of course, as you say.... they are already 'lossy' in the first place....

The problem is, for lossless files such as FLAC, ReplayGain comes in. No change to the source file, just a Gain adjustment at the time of playback.

This the X3 does not do!!

Sometimes people want to listen to a mix or variety. There was a reason that in their day, mixtapes and mix cds were really popular.

I'm someone for whom the 80s mix-tape was a magic thing...being given a carefully chosen (and volume matched lol) set of tracks, a key part of the 80s dating scene lol
The gorgeous "analogue" sound of the X3, especially with the hardware bass and treble takes me back
bigsmile_face.gif
 *takes a moment*

Feb 24, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #15,335 of 17,484
I could not get the unit suggested by Carsten to work.

But, the simple two port hub from Amazon that somebody suggested works! I am trying to find the post. But I am using nplayer right now on my ipad to play hi res files.

The cck goes to the two port hub. Then the regular x3 sub cable goes to the hub. And yep the x3 is an Apple ipad DAC. This is 30 pin unit.

Interesting that the x3 says everything is 24bit 44 kHz. I suspect that is not accurate. The unit has volume treble and bass controls. Using latest beta firmware.

Holy buckets. That E07 may go on eBay after all. It will be great to carry one less machine.

What Ipad version and ios version are you using?
For me (ipad 3, ios 7) the above mentioned kit worked. I set the x3 to dac mode. I plug headphones into the x3, then the black usb cable into on of the three usb ports of the Chinese camera connection kit and then the white cable of the kit into the 30pin connector of the ipad. Spotify works great. I'm sure the Onkyo flac player would work as well but since I have more storage on the x3 this combination makes no sense to me.
When streaming spotify I also get on the x3 display 24bit/44,1 khz. Perhaps the ipad is outputting via the 30pin connector always in 24bit.

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #15,337 of 17,484

No luck with Carsten's idea. Decided to return the unit. But there is good news for many of us that want to use the X3 as a DAC.

I can report good luck on the device above in the Camera Connecting Kit thread.  Source was Bliss53.  It made use of the X3 as a DAC with my ipad and iphone (with the camera connecting kit) very straightforward.   

I purchased one from Amazon for under $10.  See the USB hub at http://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-White/dp/B00A81ISJ6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394942486&sr=1-1&keywords=Cute+USB+Mini+2-Port+USB+2.0+Hub+Splitter+%28White

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #15,338 of 17,484
  Greetings

My first post here, sorry if someone already asked but I appreciate if you can tell me does X3 supports native DSD playback when used as a usb DAC? I have SACD pluging in foobar, ASIO driver and when hitting play no errors (edit) just what happens is that there are huge noise however you can hear music in background. what could reason causing this issue ?

I used this guide http://www.audiostream.com/content/how-play-dsd-file-using-foobar2000

Thanks

Greetings. 

I don't think so. It should be limited by DAC and thus downscaled. 

Nevertheless, I have no problems with playing SACD files via foobar2000 (DSF, DFF, ISO, DSD,...) using this plugin: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/
The problem can be caused by trying to play multichannel recording (6ch?) on stereo device (2ch). 

Feb 28, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #15,340 of 17,484
  My X3 hv a problem that it can play just ~5hr and the battery dies at ~ 40%.

Pls help me to fix this ??

201598fa95ef-d8e0-43a0-a3f8-42b23a3de3aa.jpeg

I don't want to put you off the custom firmware you are using but try doing a factory reset and if that doesn't work, maybe try out the latest official FiiO beta firmware which you can get here. This has bars on the battery and it would be easier to tell if your battery is still saying it is low at about 40%. If this doesn't work, try contacting FiiO. They have been very helpful with every question I have asked them.

Get the FW here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/742014/official-x3-firmware-thread-3-34beta-removed-5800-song-limit-play-through-folders-happy-chinese-new-year

This is unlikely to help if the battery life is actually short so unfortunately, it is more likely to be a problem with your X3.

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #15,343 of 17,484
Does anybody know what expected behavior of the unit is when in DAC mode? My unit show 48khz and 24 bit on the display no matter what is actually playing. Is that normal or do I have a configuration issue? Thanks.

The X3 shows you the highest possible quality as set on the PC.
You can set the quality by right clicking the speaker icon (on windows)
Playback devices > doubleclick X3 > second to last tab (if i recall correctly)

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #15,345 of 17,484
  wonder how long will be the x3 supported as  a "legacy" device, sandisk got a new 200Gigger card
atsmile.gif

Problem is it cost  more than  2 X3s at this point $400. Prob by the time price drops on it you would be able to by X5 and 2 128GB cards as they should be hitting $50 range in next few months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back