The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Sep 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2,401 of 3,613
Guys, do you really need all that features , besides a good DAC+AMP+EQ and >10hours battery life ? O, I forgod, a veeeeery useful feature, coaxial output... From a dap... Come on, guys, be more pragmatic, why the hell you might need a coaxial output when even laptops nowadays have coaxial out. What we really need is a (very) good sounding DAP with buttons, smaller then an Iphone , with EQ, proper battery lifetime and good price. Need more feature - Grab Iphone. Need more SQ, grab IBasso D100. 

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #2,402 of 3,613
If you are fine with a middle tier dap with middle tier sound, the market is saturated with them. Me? I'd like to not have to spend an arm and a leg and carry a brick to output a digital signal to a superior portable Dac/Amp. But we've said this several times in the thread. Currently, there are no affordable daps with digital out. I don't want to carry a laptop to listen to music.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #2,407 of 3,613
Sep 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #2,408 of 3,613
Quote:
I keep on hearing people that more or less want an affordable DX100. FiiO as of the moment has said it's more of an affordable consumer device with audiophile features right?

hmm maybe a few have said that, but most realize thats unrealistic, many of us want something different, trimmed of fat, limited feature set, but highly functional

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2,410 of 3,613
As long as the X3 is less than the size of the iPhone 4, bigger than a handful of walnuts, has 3 separate headphone outs (including one with a tube stage, one with a class A solid-state amp and one with a 2.5mm socket, weighs exactly 98.6 grams, has asychronous USB, coax in and out, Toslink in and out, a built in Buffalo 3 DAC and a 5" AMOLED screen with 13 tactile buttons I'll be happy.

As well as those reasonable demands, it has to cost less than $100 or I won't buy it. I might stretch to $120 if FiiO can make it out of solid gold and can get it out before the end of September.

(my point here is to keep your expectations in check and be realistic)

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #2,411 of 3,613
Quote:
If you are fine with a middle tier dap with middle tier sound, the market is saturated with them. Me? I'd like to not have to spend an arm and a leg and carry a brick to output a digital signal to a superior portable Dac/Amp. But we've said this several times in the thread. Currently, there are no affordable daps with digital out. I don't want to carry a laptop to listen to music.

iriver H1xx =)

also i agree with the above poster. we cant have "everything" inside the x3 for cheap =P
maybe we can if fiio decides to use mediocre parts that will break in one week

Sep 6, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #2,413 of 3,613
Quote:
Guys, do you really need all that features , besides a good DAC+AMP+EQ and >10hours battery life ? O, I forgod, a veeeeery useful feature, coaxial output... From a dap... Come on, guys, be more pragmatic, why the hell you might need a coaxial output when even laptops nowadays have coaxial out. What we really need is a (very) good sounding DAP with buttons, smaller then an Iphone , with EQ, proper battery lifetime and good price. Need more feature - Grab Iphone. Need more SQ, grab IBasso D100. 

I'd rather have USB audio out - some DAC-Amps with USB DACs already implement running the receiver and DAC off the PSU or even the battery anyway. Plus it saves on production (I think) since it would use the USB port, or if Fiio implements a dock, then they can just sell a dock-to-USB/mini USB cable.

Personally though the Galaxy S I'm using now is keeping me away from spending on more portables; but if the X3 comes out cheap and with USB audio output, I'll refrain from phone upgrades and just get this one for other audio needs.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #2,414 of 3,613
The comparative processes of digital transmission between USB and SPDIF are hardly similar and not remotely synonymous.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2,415 of 3,613
wow, can so many people have such bad reading skills? its kinda hard to believe, people skim and completely miss the point. I guess its a generational thing… Fiio and others might notice that over on the portable transport/portable dap thread, almost 50% of ~35 people so far, have voted for transport only.

the iriver is what I use, but its only from necessity, with SD mod and a lipo battery upgrade battery life is excellent and it has a tethered remote, but it resamples everything, has only one crappy clock and is larger than needed. luckily I DO use it with an ESS dac, so the clocking isnt such a huge deal.

USB out would be an option, not a solution, only SOME dacs which have their own power are able to let the host know and i'm sorry but if you think implementing a USB audio codec is cheaper and easier than other types of AUDIO output, you are sorely mistaken. it would mean another clock and a more complex PCB layout due to the need for another ground layer, chip speed and faster clock edge risetimes are a major source of ripple on the power supply rails and ground. it would be cool indeed, but its not a cheaper solution. It would also mean paying licensing fees for the UAC (USB Audio Codec) driver chosen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back