The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Sep 16, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,073 of 3,613

Quote:
From what I gather from Feiao's comments I don't think there will be an X3 period. Hopeful wishing non the less.

How did you read that?  They said clearly they were going to make a DAP.

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #2,074 of 3,613
As has been mentioned above, you could do something with rockbox. Maybe the community there would like to invest in the technology to produce is as the "Rockbox Player"

Keep making good stuff.

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,075 of 3,613

Quote:
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..................
frown.gif

I have really been holding out, what am I supposed to get now? *sigh*

x3
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #2,077 of 3,613

Quote:

Well Feiao implied it probably won't be the X3 or anything like it. He did hint at Android to make the software programming easier, more than having to make new software for a no-frills player, so it might come out as something more like the Cowon D3 and at far above the X3's target SRP. On the other hand, he only used Android as an example, which means it could still be a no-frills player running another software - ROCKBOX, anyone?

Fiio needs to just reappropriate the existing hardware prototype and see if Rockbox can be made to run it with minimal changes. It might not get us Andrid market and apps, but hey, if it has a good crossfeed and EQ feature, who needs the apps? We have smartphones or iPT's for that.

Sep 16, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2,078 of 3,613
Oh no, I've been so much looking forward to this player and did only expect a delay but never thought that stopping the product could be an option (after for example letting us choose the front design).

Now I am hoping that the project leaders of Fiio are really considering seriously a colaboration with the strong community of Rockbox. This community would love to port Rockbox to this great hardware and with all the technical design detail they will be able to port it in a very short time (if there are no sw liscense problems with the compiler).

So Fiio, I'm really begging you not to give up the product.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #2,080 of 3,613

Is the player rockchip based though? That could be the main issue if so? Rockchip has never released their coding to the community so Rockbox has never been able to create a working firmware based on this chip.
Quote:
Oh no, I've been so much looking forward to this player and did only expect a delay but never thought that stopping the product could be an option (after for example letting us choose the front design).

Now I am hoping that the project leaders of Fiio are really considering seriously a colaboration with the strong community of Rockbox. This community would love to port Rockbox to this great hardware and with all the technical design detail they will be able to port it in a very short time (if there are no sw liscense problems with the compiler).

So Fiio, I'm really begging you not to give up the product.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #2,081 of 3,613

Quote:

Yeah they said they would make a DAP but not an X3 DAP. That can mean a whole lot. It could mean the player could be much better in the future and it could also mean it could be mediocre. Either way if its gonna use android you can expect to pay quite a bit more I would think.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #2,082 of 3,613
Yeah, let me vote against Android as a waste of time for a DAP.  I hope they realize they will be competing against smartphones and Android isn't streaming digital out atm it appears.  I'm not sure I get the aversion to Rockbox other than loosing control of the FW and OS to independent developers.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #2,083 of 3,613

Quote:
Yeah, let me vote against Android as a waste of time for a DAP.  I hope they realize they will be competing against smart phones and Android isn't streaming digital out atm it appears.  I'm not sure I get the aversion to Rockbox other than loosing control of the FW and OS to independent developers.

That's the whole problem with these manufacturers. They want to maintain control. The problem is the control they have really isn't that great to begin with. If the firmware isn't good but the hardware is, it really degrades the quality of the overall product. I mean hey as long as you do have some sort of standard firmware why not allow for a third party to make a firmware as well. As long as they aren't having to pay for it then what is the problem? Then again since the firmware makers for the X3 didn't fulfill their end of the bargain why couldn't they strike a deal with Rock box instead, in that way they could have the exclusive rights to the main firmware created in this manner?

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #2,084 of 3,613

Quote:
Is the player rockchip based though? That could be the main issue if so? Rockchip has never released their coding to the community so Rockbox has never been able to create a working firmware based on this chip.

Quote:
7, Not a ordinary solution like rockchip,

It is not a rockchip if the information on the first post was still up to date.

I could not read what is written on the ɥcontroller on the photos of the first post. If we have this information we could get an idea about if a Rockbox port would be possible or not.
What I think there could be written is:
OPTEL
01KS256
But I din't find any information in the web about this combination of letters.

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #2,085 of 3,613
Subscribed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back