The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Aug 24, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #1,966 of 3,613

Quote:
so its [hopefully] about 2 months away now, so any ideas on the release date?

yes i know the question keeps getting asked but im so keen and my clip+ is failing me (headphone jack is broken)

Cannot wait for it!!

Is your clip past the 1 year warranty? Patience is a virtue lol. Then again I didn't have patience and own the Slfo2 and Hifiman 601.

Aug 24, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,967 of 3,613

Quote:
It's sad seeing how such a promising product is having so much pre production issues. I hate seeing a good company like FiiO fall into the same problems that Meizu did with their iPhone knock offs. I just hope that this hits market before new years at this rate.

They haven't had so many pre-production issues.  They have had one issue!  Firmware....  Facts > *

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #1,968 of 3,613
Firmware is the single biggest issue for any hardware. That'd be like asking for a car with the wrong timing.

It's been a big issue and it hasn't been resolved for months. The X3 is on the backburner for whoever is manufacturing and programming them. We've been sitting for months now waiting for firmware to be developed with nary a peep on the progress. We also haven't seen finalized hardware and it's a whole season behind schedule. It's got pre-production issues.

Facts > repeating PR

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #1,969 of 3,613
I held out for months hoping that the X3 would hit the market but it did not. I am looking into other options now. I am not sure of all the circumstances but maybe Fiio should reevaluate the company they who is supplying the firmware and look elsewhere. Every month the wait is potentially costing them money to have a product that is not generating revenue sitting on a shelf. Maybe they should look into other options even if it costs more and pass the cost on to the customer reasonably because it does not seem like the current option is working out for them and there customers. I would be willing to buy if it cost more than the projected price but only if they could get it out sooner. The cost of a individual amp and MP3 player(not to mention wires and other accessories) could exceed the price of a expedited X3.

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #1,970 of 3,613
the whole project is so behind schedule that when it come out, it will hv no more WOW factor to make people buy them anymore....yup, im losing faith and need fellow head-fiers to gv me some hope for i need those to keep myself from the new SONY A-series (which said to be better in SQ than the legendary limited edition X-series) and the mysterious apple's latest ipod offering which i think the "time-consuming,long awaited" UI of X3 will be rubbish in front of both SONY's and APPLE's ....fiio din let us down with their product, they do with their marketing strategy 

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #1,971 of 3,613
Quote:
Firmware is the single biggest issue for any hardware. That'd be like asking for a car with the wrong timing.

It's been a big issue and it hasn't been resolved for months. The X3 is on the backburner for whoever is manufacturing and programming them. We've been sitting for months now waiting for firmware to be developed with nary a peep on the progress. We also haven't seen finalized hardware and it's a whole season behind schedule. It's got pre-production issues.

Facts > repeating PR

Now to be fair, this thread is not supposed to be here so early. James never intended to jump start the X3 discussion in the first place. The discussion is started from the E11 discussion when James mentioned a few other projects the company is developing at the time. It eventually grows into its own discussion which is this thread. By FiiO schedule, this thread should only have been here since mid 2011, not late 2010. Don't forget that when this thread was first started about 8 months ago. X3 is still a concept on paper and it is the whole reason why we get to give our input to the device's development.

Quote:
I held out for months hoping that the X3 would hit the market but it did not. I am looking into other options now. I am not sure of all the circumstances but maybe Fiio should reevaluate the company they who is supplying the firmware and look elsewhere. Every month the wait is potentially costing them money to have a product that is not generating revenue sitting on a shelf. Maybe they should look into other options even if it costs more and pass the cost on to the customer reasonably because it does not seem like the current option is working out for them and there customers. I would be willing to buy if it cost more than the projected price but only if they could get it out sooner. The cost of a individual amp and MP3 player(not to mention wires and other accessories) could exceed the price of a expedited X3.

For what I know, the X3 project is too far to stop now as all the parts have already been ordered and only waiting for the last few items (from the SoC supplier)  to come in place. I can tell you now with my discussion with James that the company will try to avoid the same supplier issue next time by trying to utilize a more advanced platform in the future that doesn't rely so much on outsider vendor. It will be something totally different but I can't tell you what it is now, and it probably won't come in another year or two after X3.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #1,972 of 3,613
Lol, some of the commentaries are hilarious.  Go buy your Sony or Apple DAPs so you can quite whining and spare the rest of us.  We'll wait for our 24/192 w/ coax and line-out.    

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,974 of 3,613

maybe I'm remembering wrong, what I remember is that early in the thread they told us to focuse on software and not hardware, they already had very clear what the hardware would be or at least what they wanted from it.

now as I understand it/remeber it, betwen late december 2010 and early january 2011 they had prety much already decided on the hardware and SoC suplier, they were just sort of comparing the functions they already had tought with the functions the comunity wanted to maybe make the last changes mainly on software.

that is the real feeling I got from the colaboration betwen the company and this comunity and why I think it was something a bit more than just a concept.

I just know that I've been waiting and I will keep waiting because the other products out there don't seem to offer me what I think I want
tongue.gif
the good thing about all this is that I've growth this sort of patience this unhyped feeling that I don't think I will be buying it as soon as it gets released untyl I get to see how the comunity reacts to it.

Quote:

Now to be fair, this thread is not supposed to be here so early. James never intended to jump start the X3 discussion in the first place. The discussion is started from the E11 discussion when James mentioned a few other projects the company is developing at the time. It eventually grows into its own discussion which is this thread. By FiiO schedule, this thread should only have been here since mid 2011, not late 2010. Don't forget that when this thread was first started about 8 months ago. X3 is still a concept on paper and it is the whole reason why we get to give our input to the device's development.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,976 of 3,613
Of course the hardware they wanted is very clear from the beginning - they want a DAP that will have the same level of hardware as E7 with digital and line-out (if you read back some old E7 threads, you will see quite a few people making that suggestion to FiiO even before X3 ever cross FiiO's mid). But deciding what hardware they want and putting those hardware together are two different things. We are not talking about Lego here. You can't solder everything together and hope it would work, especially when you involve a micro processor and firmware from a third party. There are also hidden feature that has not been revealed to you guys yet which will make the X3 ahead of its competition, and those things all need to be developed and tested properly  before even the production can get started. There are also hardware changes made because of the community input - for example, battery capacity has been increased, and subsequently, the housing has to be redesigned for the bigger battery. Then there is the endless wait for the SoC supplier to come back with prototype for testing and even more firmware adjustment (and in between them, waiting for the SoC supplier to finish manufacturing for their bigger customer from the West).. These kind of things go back and forth many times and it all take time. If FiiO should have cut corner and go to RockChip or SigmaTel for the SoC, we might as well have our X3 by now - but that will means it is just going to have either crappy firmware or limited functions. FiiO just chose the lesser of all the evil and they are paying the price on delay.

Quote:
maybe I'm remembering wrong, what I remember is that early in the thread they told us to focuse on software and not hardware, they already had very clear what the hardware would be or at least what they wanted from it.

now as I understand it/remeber it, betwen late december 2010 and early january 2011 they had prety much already decided on the hardware and SoC suplier, they were just sort of comparing the functions they already had tought with the functions the comunity wanted to maybe make the last changes mainly on software.

that is the real feeling I got from the colaboration betwen the company and this comunity and why I think it was something a bit more than just a concept.

I just know that I've been waiting and I will keep waiting because the other products out there don't seem to offer me what I think I want
tongue.gif
the good thing about all this is that I've growth this sort of patience this unhyped feeling that I don't think I will be buying it as soon as it gets released untyl I get to see how the comunity reacts to it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #1,977 of 3,613

Quote:
X5 already has line-in and line-out jacks.

So do half my DAPs, you're point?  Let me highlight the 2/3rds of the post you ignored.  

'We'll wait for our 24/192 w/ coax and line-out.' 

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #1,978 of 3,613
So do half my DAPs, you're point?  Let me highlight the 2/3rds of the post you ignored.  

'We'll wait for our 24/192 w/ coax and line-out.' 

Anaxilus, tell us how you really feel. heh

I too will remain patient, my S639 is still serving strong but this X3 sounds phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back