The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jan 1, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #346 of 3,613
Quote:
Honestly, at the end of the day they're both digital. What difference does it make other than hardware compatibility?

It doesn't matter for anything other than compatibility in a portable setup.  In a home setup an optical connection will avoid ground loop problems, but that's it...

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #347 of 3,613
Not to mention that a coax cable is a lot less fragile than an optical cable. And has much less jitter (if you believe in jitter). In fact, it's superior in almost every way for portable purposes.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #348 of 3,613
Just curious but if one wanted to use the coaxial are there any portable amp options other than the ibasso D10/D12?

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #349 of 3,613

Quote:
Just curious but if one wanted to use the coaxial are there any portable amp options other than the ibasso D10/D12?

Ibasso DB1 and the upcoming D6 and DB2. Is it just me or does it seem like Ibasso owns the portable DAC market at the moment?
biggrin.gif

Anyway, This looks really interesting. I haven't read the whole thread yet, but digital output is an awesome feature that should be standard on every new DAP marketed at audiophiles, IMO. It brings cheap products almost to the level of high end transports. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #350 of 3,613
Well if it was optical there would be a few more options but there aren't too many that have coaxial. Not many daps have coaxial either so it makes sense. The only other ones I know of are the discontinued iriver h100 series and the HM801.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #351 of 3,613
Quote:
Ibasso DB1 and the upcoming D6 and DB2. Is it just me or does it seem like Ibasso owns the portable DAC market at the moment?
biggrin.gif

I think it's just that no-one else is interested. Portable DACs aren't really very versatile and the improvements probably wouldn't be great considering that you're already using a DAP man enough to have a coax out.

For me, the main use is for fullsize DAC applications. Means I don't have to start up my laptop to listen to a song in decent quality - the X3 becomes a portable, quickstart music server.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #352 of 3,613

Quote:
Well if it was optical there would be a few more options but there aren't too many that have coaxial. Not many daps have coaxial either so it makes sense. The only other ones I know of are the discontinued iriver h100 series and the HM801.

There is the QLS QA350 which has both coaxial and optical, but I A/Bed the two outputs and coaxial definitely sound better in case you were wondering. There is also the Colorfly C1.

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I think it's just that no-one else is interested. Portable DACs aren't really very versatile and the improvements probably wouldn't be great considering that you're already using a DAP man enough to have a coax out.

For me, the main use is for fullsize DAC applications. Means I don't have to start up my laptop to listen to a song in decent quality - the X3 becomes a portable, quickstart music server.

X2. I love having all the music on my Iriver H120 or QA350 ready to hook up to my DAC and sound even better. That way I can run my balanced phones from my DAPs too, something no DAP at the moment can so. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #356 of 3,613
Quote:
I thought they were but I guess not..my mistake

The 801 has coax IN. I think with the DAC that thing is packing they weren't expecting anyone to want to use anything else. Don't know about the iRiver.

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #357 of 3,613
Quote:
The 801 has coax IN. I think with the DAC that thing is packing they weren't expecting anyone to want to use anything else. Don't know about the iRiver.

I was thinking I want to hook the X3 up with HM801 via coaxial and use it purely as AMP+DAC. Quite an overkill size and function wise no doubt but it will probably sound great as well.

I think the idea of implement a coaxial-out is so X3 can connect to a desktop DAC (since any half decent desktop DAC should have coaxial and optical) and serves purely as source. FiiO probably never intends to see the coaxial being use for portable, and such they went for a design that is easier to implement.

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #358 of 3,613
Coaxial out is really a desktop option, but there are always some who like a good portable DAC and have loads of fun with them. At that point, the SQ that those rigs have is knocking on the door of some cheap and not so cheap home setups. Depending on the portable amp, you can basically drive any phone you want pretty darn well nowadays. More options, more fun, I say.
beerchug.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #359 of 3,613
Super excited about the X3.  I would like to recommend a few features.

1) With the gapless playback toggle, perhaps there can be 3 options?  Gapless on | Gapless Off | Gapless on, auto off when shuffle is on
2) Use the next and previous track buttons as a page down and page up, when scrolling through songs, for quicker navigation.
3) A custom case to marry X3/E11 (possible even built in connection cable)
4) Shuffe options: Shuffle entire library | Shuffle folder | Shuffle albums (after current folder, random next folder) 
   4b) A way to designate folders as albums (really helps with multi disc albums)
5) Rating support and quick rating update for all formats (ex: while playing, press menu, Volume keys now change rating, in menu, for current song)
6) Sort by folder / Genre / rating / artist
7) Search options similar to sort, with a quick add to current or new playlist
8) support for headphone adapter media controls, maybe a custom FiiO LX3 media control headphone adapter?
9) excellent power saving firmware settings (Ultra power saving -> lower screen brightness -> processor lower clocking -> shorter screen timeout)
   9b) Screen turns off when not in use -> maybe processor lowers clock when screen is off and just playing music

Will definitely be purchasing this!  Go FiiO!

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #360 of 3,613

Quote:
Super excited about the X3.  I would like to recommend a few features.

1) With the gapless playback toggle, perhaps there can be 3 options?  Gapless on | Gapless Off | Gapless on, auto off when shuffle is on
2) Use the next and previous track buttons as a page down and page up, when scrolling through songs, for quicker navigation.
3) A custom case to marry X3/E11 (possible even built in connection cable)
4) Shuffe options: Shuffle entire library | Shuffle folder | Shuffle albums (after current folder, random next folder) 
   4b) A way to designate folders as albums (really helps with multi disc albums)
5) Rating support and quick rating update for all formats (ex: while playing, press menu, Volume keys now change rating, in menu, for current song)
6) Sort by folder / Genre / rating / artist
7) Search options similar to sort, with a quick add to current or new playlist
8) support for headphone adapter media controls, maybe a custom FiiO LX3 media control headphone adapter?
9) excellent power saving firmware settings (Ultra power saving -> lower screen brightness -> processor lower clocking -> shorter screen timeout)
   9b) Screen turns off when not in use -> maybe processor lowers clock when screen is off and just playing music

Will definitely be purchasing this!  Go FiiO!

I second this + sleep timer and a fast clean and simple interface.

now that the hardware is pretty much decided(and seems good). I think we should give feedback about what we want in terms of software, after all besides hardware that's what makes a good DAP great.

Oh! and as a side note, thinking on the future( X3/E9 combo) it would be really nice to have a simple remote control(power, play/pause, netx...) or/and remote GUI(cellphone, tablet, etc) maybe in the form of an accessory(if feasible of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back