The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Apr 7, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #725 of 3,613

Quote:
very much hoping to.  Will need a custom mini to mini digital coax cable for it, so that it can go digital out to digital in

If what I read about JH3A is correct, it will have 1/8 socket for coax in - that and X3 having a 1/8 coax out means you don't need any special cable, just 1/8 male to 1/8 male, a.k.a. your regular interconnect cable.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #726 of 3,613

Quote:

its been asked many times, but there has never been an answer

Aw man.

Thanks anyways. I'm not sure if I should save up for this. I don't want to be hit by sticker shock if it turns out to be over $300 (which I wouldn't be too surprised to see, I guess, with all the features it has. It would be disappointing, though).

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #727 of 3,613

Quote:
If what I read about JH3A is correct, it will have 1/8 socket for coax in - that and X3 having a 1/8 coax out means you don't need any special cable, just 1/8 male to 1/8 male, a.k.a. your regular interconnect cable.

i started a thread on just this subject a while ago, though i dont clearly remember the outcome.
i thought though, that it was better to have a 75ohm cable for digital transport.
it would be GREAT if you were correct, and I'll be happy to hear your reasoning

UPDATE: here is the best response i got.. so the possibility of digital cable working better was iffy at best...

A digital cable can be any 2 conductor cable like an RCA, XLR, or even a mono mini cable.  However, to be within the 75 ohm spec for coaxial digital, you need a 75 ohm cable and 75 ohm connectors - a cable that is coaxial, aka a shield over a insulated core with the insulation a set thickness to produce a specific impedance.  You can build digital cables out of spec and they'll still work, but in theory this may compromise the sound.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #728 of 3,613
Buy a used good brand coaxial digital cable that you can be sure the cable conductors are 75ohm (although sometimes that's the conductor+plugs), gut the cable and solder then to 3.5mm mono plugs that measure near 75ohm. Or if you have any conductors lying around, match them with plugs that overall would make 75ohm.

I'm sure we can get people to post how much impedance their plugs have so you won't have to buy one of each out there just to test.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #729 of 3,613
75ohm requirement is needed to retain power transmission and reduce standing wave, but to fully realize the benefit, you need everything in the signal path to be 75ohm in coaxial form, meaning not just the cable and the connector, but also the jack. Since 1/8 jack isn't 75ohm rated (nor have the proper spacing needed for coaxial spec), it becomes somewhat pointless to use a 75ohm rated cable where both ends isn't connected to anything coaxial. Beside standing wave, coaxial cable is also known to resist RF interference, but it is also more or less pointless in this case since the cable is so short that unless you are standing next to a very strong RF source, I doubt you will get much FR interference. To really utilize a coaxial setup, you will probably need to use the RP-SMA connector that you see on WiFi router and antenna connection, and they are small enough but still very cumbersome to use because of how stiff the cable are.

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #731 of 3,613

Quote:
75ohm requirement is needed to retain power transmission and reduce standing wave, but to fully realize the benefit, you need everything in the signal path to be 75ohm in coaxial form, meaning not just the cable and the connector, but also the jack. Since 1/8 jack isn't 75ohm rated (nor have the proper spacing needed for coaxial spec), it becomes somewhat pointless to use a 75ohm rated cable where both ends isn't connected to anything coaxial. Beside standing wave, coaxial cable is also known to resist RF interference, but it is also more or less pointless in this case since the cable is so short that unless you are standing next to a very strong RF source, I doubt you will get much FR interference. To really utilize a coaxial setup, you will probably need to use the RP-SMA connector that you see on WiFi router and antenna connection, and they are small enough but still very cumbersome to use because of how stiff the cable are.

thanks a lot.  my original plan was to get a custom cable from someone like blue jeans calbles.. about 2 foot long max.  it would only have been about $40 or less, but i was concerned about it being bulky and stiff.   I will probably stick with  a mini to mini now. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #732 of 3,613

Quote:
@raguvian, Although I dont know the price of this unit like you, i think you might be positively surpriseed, fiio is all about bang-for-the buck equipment. Greetings, Anouk,

yeah.. they have definately been indicating that they want to keep this thing as cheap as possible.  I will be suprised if it costs $300.  I'm hoping its more like $150 max.

honestly i think this is one of those items that has such a huge potential to be really popular, that if they were smart, they would price the thing low.. like $150 at most.  They would probably end up profiting more from sheer volume of sales with a low price than they would if they price it too high and discourage buyers. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #733 of 3,613
Aw man.

Thanks anyways. I'm not sure if I should save up for this. I don't want to be hit by sticker shock if it turns out to be over $300 (which I wouldn't be too surprised to see, I guess, with all the features it has. It would be disappointing, though).

nahhh, fiio keeps it simple. besides it has no internal memory. i dont think it would go over 100 actually. but it all depends on that first sample we're waiting for.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #734 of 3,613
$300 is probably a bit high for FiiO general audience, but $150 is a bit too low IMO. The major cost, from my POV, probably comes from the controller as well as the PCB, which have to be out-sourced to the chip provider for manufacturing and that will cost more (and the chip provider FiiO picked is more expensive, IIRC). Another big issue is the production volume - as far as I know the initial batch will only has a few hundreds in total volume, and with such a small volume the production cost actually goes up in significant ratio.

X3 already uses most of E7 internal, so it is impossible to make it below $100 as E7 is already $80 by its own. I think $200~$250 makes a better guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back