The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Jan 31, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #541 of 3,613

Quote:
Quote:
The E7 DAC certainly seems to be the limiting factor in the E7/E9 combo...  I'd be willing to spend significantly more for a better DAC section if it meant that the X3 would serve as a much better source/DAC for the E9.

Actually the WM8740 is quite capable. It is still one of Wolfson best DAC chip. It is just the way it has to be implemented on E7 that limited the function (i.e. PCM270x to handle the USB stream since WM8740 can't do USB directly). X3 won't have that problem since it doesn't need to function as an USB DAC, Of course there is still the limitation of parts quality - FiiO simply can't afford to put in the best possible audiophile parts into the DAC (or any section of X3) since they don't intend to charge you a big price tag over it.

Of course.  I didn't/don't know the specifics of how the 8740 is implemented in the E7 and X3 - I know that the DAC chip is only one part of the equation, hence I called for a better "DAC section" as a whole.  I look forward to hearing the X3's performance.

So is the PCM270x used just to convert the USB packet stream to the normal PCM format in the E7, and its DAC capabilities are bypassed?  (Please excuse any imprecise/incorrect terms, as I'm a mechanical engineer, not an electrical one...)

Jan 31, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #542 of 3,613
Quote:
So is the PCM270x used just to convert the USB packet stream to the normal PCM format in the E7, and its DAC capabilities are bypassed?  (Please excuse any imprecise/incorrect terms, as I'm a mechanical engineer, not an electrical one...)

Yes, something like that. This is one of the reason why E7's WM8740 can't be used for 24bit/192kbps though it does support it, as PCM270x can only deals with 16bit/44.1kbps on the USB.

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #543 of 3,613
Read till page 24 and I can say I know what most of us want, something with lost of storage! I however don’t believe that is a neceissity considering how cheap the microSD and SD cards are these days!
SO here is what I want from Fiio, a DAP that contains the best of DAC chip possible for a portable source! I want the best SQ one can get from a portable device! I don’t care about internal storage or crazy battery life stamina! I want a DAP which sounds as good as Hifiman if not better! I was in process of saving for HM-602 and then I learned about x3.
Once again for me all that matters is SQ!

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #544 of 3,613
Yup sq for me is vital, even if it means paying that bit more for better caps or dac then fine so be it, this player im willing to stretch for, my s9 is what i have for video duties that or my mobile phone.

Feb 7, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #545 of 3,613
Here's my question... Why would i ever need a diymod/whipmod/imod rockboxed instead of the X3 if my main concern is SQ and playing 24/192 audio?

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #546 of 3,613

Quote:
Read till page 24 and I can say I know what most of us want, something with lost of storage! I however don’t believe that is a neceissity considering how cheap the microSD and SD cards are these days!
SO here is what I want from Fiio, a DAP that contains the best of DAC chip possible for a portable source! I want the best SQ one can get from a portable device! I don’t care about internal storage or crazy battery life stamina! I want a DAP which sounds as good as Hifiman if not better! I was in process of saving for HM-602 and then I learned about x3.
Once again for me all that matters is SQ!

But that's not what FiiO is about. I mean look at the E3, the first popularized FiiO product here. That was a $7 amp. Then came the E5, a $20 or so amp. Then the E1, and the E7 is the cheapest portable amp/DAC that I can think of (the Nuforce one is $20 more), and the E9 is one of the cheapest desktop amps I can think of south of DIY. The X3 will probably be the cheapest high quality DAP, and if you want the "best" possible, then FiiO likely won't make it because it won't be profitable enough or have big enough demand. They're a small company they can't afford a flopped product saleswise.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #547 of 3,613
^^ yeah exactly.

thsese are in a league of their own.

if you want great sound quality right off, Sflo and HM60x are more suited.

these are aimed at a broader audience. those who wanted something better than clip+/Fuze but were not willing to spend too much.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #548 of 3,613
Ah if that's the case, I was expecting too much from the X3. Top of the line SQ, line-out and coax out. Guess it was too good to be true. I'm in the same boat here, I'm fine with a sub-par battery life and the lack of storage. What matters to be most is SQ and if the X3 can get to the same level if not close to that of the Hifiman 601, and in a smaller body, then I'm sold on it I won't be using it much through the HO but mainly the LO with an amp.

It would be great if someone from Fiio can chime in here. 

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #549 of 3,613
It is Chinese Spring Festival at the moment until end of this week

Quote:
Ah if that's the case, I was expecting too much from the X3. Top of the line SQ, line-out and coax out. Guess it was too good to be true. I'm in the same boat here, I'm fine with a sub-par battery life and the lack of storage. What matters to be most is SQ and if the X3 can get to the same level if not close to that of the Hifiman 601, and in a smaller body, then I'm sold on it I won't be using it much through the HO but mainly the LO with an amp.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #550 of 3,613
If you have digital out the sq-level is desided by the dac connected.

Quote:

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #551 of 3,613

Thanks Very Legal. I understand that. My main concern was LO to amp SQ vs other dap's LO to amp SQ. That said, the digital out is going to be nice for desktop dacs!
Quote:
If you have digital out the sq-level is desided by the dac connected.

Quote:

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #555 of 3,613
Quote:
So where exactly does the sq of x3 stand if it can't not beat sflo2, assuming the gap between j3 and sflo2 is there but not huge?

No one besides the engineers @ FiiO has listened to it yet, so discussion of how good it sounds is no more than guesswork, why bother?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back