The FiiO X3 Thread UPDATE: Project Back On! Read the First Post for Information.
Feb 14, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #571 of 3,613
Until X3 is released and someone reviewed it, I will just rely on H120 for the time being.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #572 of 3,613

Quote:
You couldn't just get a Clip+ to hold you over in the meantime?

Oh, that's a nice idea. . . especially since I've had second thoughts on the J3.  Now I can't decide between the J3, the iPod Touch 4th gen, or the iPod Classic 7th gen. 

And only hours until payday!

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #573 of 3,613
Should be easy to decide between the three, they're each distinct. 

Go for the J3 if you really don't want Itunes or want to be able to use a format like FLAC. Bonus: Good EQ options

Go for the Touch if you want all of the extras such as Wifi and Apps. Bonus: Best sound of the 3, but not by a ton. 

Go for the Classic you want really huge capacity for your files. Bonus: Rockbox capability is getting close. 

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #574 of 3,613

Quote:
Should be easy to decide between the three, they're each distinct. 

Go for the J3 if you really don't want Itunes or want to be able to use a format like FLAC. Bonus: Good EQ options

Go for the Touch if you want all of the extras such as Wifi and Apps. Bonus: Best sound of the 3, but not by a ton. 

Go for the Classic you want really huge capacity for your files. Bonus: Rockbox capability is getting close. 

Ah, and it is the very distinctness of the three options that makes it so difficult!
The only thing that makes me hesitant about the Classic is the DAC.  Is the DAC in the touch better?  I think the J3 uses a Wolfson

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #575 of 3,613
Don't worry so much about sound worry more about their other aspects, they're pretty close. But if you want to my opinion after hearing them for SQ.
Touch 4>Classic>J3

People speak of DACs are if they are the end of it of it all in sound and each company has different models some good some bad but implementation is just as important. If you REALLY want to be certain you can get at least 2 of them and compare as they're all different flavors. The Classic and Touch 4 use Cirrus Logic DACs but different models. The J3 most likely uses a WM8960 Wolfson DAC. 

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #576 of 3,613

Quote:
Don't worry so much about sound worry more about their other aspects, they're pretty close. But if you want to my opinion after hearing them for SQ.
Touch 4>Classic>J3

Your opinion is appreciated, especially as your the first person I've read to put the Classic above the J3 (or even the touch above the J3.) 

If SQ was not an issue, and it was completely put upon other features, I would choose the Classic.  With 40 hrs music playback, 160gb storage, at $250, I don't think it can be beat.

However, SQ is an issue. . . even if they're pretty close. . .

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #577 of 3,613
Oh this is without EQing. Most of the people that praise the sound of the J3 seem to be EQ fans if you like to do it yourself then give the nod to the J3 though the Touch isn't behind with it's new apps. Also the Classic vs J3 was very close to me the Touch on the other just suited me better than the 2 easily sonic wise but I won't place the sound as the deal breaker again look at the other strengths it will be more practical in the long run.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #578 of 3,613
And it seems that Rockbox is underway for the Classic. . . i'll need a lot of storage for FLAC. . .
Any of them will sound better than my current iPod.  I am pretty sure it has broken connections somewhere in the internal architecture.  It just doesn't sound very good, especially the bass, and very weak HO power

Feb 15, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #580 of 3,613

Quote:
you snapped the iriver on that deal?

Nope. It is still pending sales today. I tried my luck at eBay and managed to secure one. Though a little more expensive (about 220 SGD) but it comes with the remote, pouch and external microphone etc.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #583 of 3,613
Quote:
+1 for coax digital out

would love: long battery life, upgradable storage, snappy UI

Specs have been finalised some time ago. Coax S/PDIF is in, storage is through microSD, possibly supporting some SDXC cards (no internal storage). Battery life was clocking round 10 hours, now supposedly increased somewhat after a slight physical redesign. No information on the UI yet.

@Randius
Impressive quadruple post, brah.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #584 of 3,613

Quote:

Ah I'm glad this thread exists now. For FiiOs considerations, I'm going to categorise DAP features from essential to being even considered viable, right through to nice but not essential. 

Essential -
There has been a lot of talk about RockBox but so long as these basic features are there then the DAP will be basically as good as any other. Surprisingly the most expensive players out there don't even manage the first one - making them worthless pieces of junk in my book.

Gapless playback
Support of all the usual codecs
File/Folder browsing option
MSC file transfer option
Bare minimum of hardware controls (volume, back and forward tracks, play/pause, power)
Pan/Balance control (for those with one ear that hears less well than the other and one that goes all the way over to one ear mono for one eared listening)
Decent, usable batterly life
Non laggy UI with basic standard of usability

Any player that does not implement all of the above is not worth a penny.

Important -
Not absolutely baisc features, but could easily be the dfference between chosing this DAP over another.

Long battery life
Good EQ (parametric if possible)
Easy to use interface with lots of functionality
Replaygain support
Other sound features like crossfeed, stereo width etc
An extra hardware button or two which can be assigned to functions by the user

What this guy said ^

The bold is a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back