The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Mar 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #5,416 of 7,793
This was probably asked and answered before but at over 300 pages I cant find it. When comparing X1 to X3 or X5, what is it that the X1 does NOT have that really matters? Is it more about the internal guts being improved, or is it just things like the added slots and outputs etc. Wondering what those few extra hundred dollars really get you.

what tip me over to wanting x3 II is equalizer and better scroll wheel.
what makes me second guessing whether to purchase x3 II or not is that x5 has IPS screen...

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #5,417 of 7,793
This was probably asked and answered before but at over 300 pages I cant find it. When comparing X1 to X3 or X5, what is it that the X1 does NOT have that really matters? Is it more about the internal guts being improved, or is it just things like the added slots and outputs etc. Wondering what those few extra hundred dollars really get you.

I know I'm a revolutionary thinker for the audio world, but I like to buy stuff because they solve a problem I have. so I usually start there. what problem do you have, what do you need/want?

for those who have no clue, get a sansa clip, whine about all the stuff you don't like and get it right on the next DAP ^_^. it's a relatively cheap practical experiment and some never had to go past the sansa.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #5,419 of 7,793

I think this is what you are after 
wink.gif

X1 vs X3ii
http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/570#post_11356240

X5 vs X3ii
http://www.head-fi.org/t/743704/the-fiio-x3-2nd-gen-ex-x3k-x3ii-thread-192k-24b-cs4398-native-dsd-usb-dac-with-lo-and-inline-remote/600#post_11359489

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #5,420 of 7,793
With the release of the new firmware, I wanted to update my X1 but can't figure out how. I have everything figured out except how to move the firmware file into the root directory. When I go into my card, I see all my artists' music folders and at the bottom, a file called "WMP Info." Where do I put the firmware file? I tried putting it in with the rest of the folders (not in the folders, next to them basically) and doing the upper-left button + power button on the X1, but nothing happened; I was able to use the X1 as I usually would. I have my card formatted in FAT32 and am using a card reader. Thanks for any responses.

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #5,421 of 7,793
  With the release of the new firmware, I wanted to update my X1 but can't figure out how. I have everything figured out except how to move the firmware file into the root directory. When I go into my card, I see all my artists' music folders and at the bottom, a file called "WMP Info." Where do I put the firmware file? I tried putting it in with the rest of the folders (not in the folders, next to them basically) and doing the upper-left button + power button on the X1, but nothing happened; I was able to use the X1 as I usually would. I have my card formatted in FAT32 and am using a card reader. Thanks for any responses.

Where did you get the firmware from? Is the file you are trying to save into your disc called x1.fw?

The firmware should go in the root folder (i.e. the same folder with the WMP Info file in it). The file needs to be called x1.fw. If it isn't called that the player won't recognize it as a firmware update. Maybe you downloaded a compressed version of the firmware and it needs to be extracted with some software like WinZip or WinRar.

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #5,423 of 7,793

Where did you get the firmware from? Is the file you are trying to save into your disc called x1.fw?

The firmware should go in the root folder (i.e. the same folder with the WMP Info file in it). The file needs to be called x1.fw. If it isn't called that the player won't recognize it as a firmware update. Maybe you downloaded a compressed version of the firmware and it needs to be extracted with some software like WinZip or WinRar.

Straight from the FiiO site. That's the name of it, from out of a zipped folder labeled "X1FW1.3." It's about 45mb. The WMP Info file wasn't in a folder; when I open the SD Card, it's sitting below all my artist folders. I put the FW file next to it, used the upper left button and power button, and my X1 powered up normally.

Just FYI..
updating Firmware erased your Favorites lists.

I don't use it, but thank you for the warning.

Edit: After trying it a few more times, it worked; it took about 4 tries, which was odd. I did the same thing each time. Thanks for the help everyone, it seems to be working well.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #5,424 of 7,793
What does default volume in settings do?

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #5,426 of 7,793
What does default volume in settings do?

It is the volume X1 will auto set to every time after restart, either the last volume when X1 is turned off (*memory), or a particular volume you like (*custom).

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #5,427 of 7,793
Extremely helpful comparisons thanks. I didn't even know a new X3 was coming out in a few weeks. Do the X1 and X3ii use the same menu/UI interface? Firmware differences? What are some of the flaws navigating through the device compared to something like an ipod or google play on a phone?

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #5,428 of 7,793
Extremely helpful comparisons thanks. I didn't even know a new X3 was coming out in a few weeks. Do the X1 and X3ii use the same menu/UI interface? Firmware differences? What are some of the flaws navigating through the device compared to something like an ipod or google play on a phone?

1. Yes - interface is basically the same. X3ii has more features.
  2. iPods have searchable database, and faster scrolling. More tags are recognised which makes track order a bit better. Fiios are more powerful and I would say slightly better sound + more format support and expandable memory

Mar 20, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #5,430 of 7,793
It's limited in what it recognises - eg doesn't recognise disc number, composer etc. Handles basic tags well though. I prefer folder play to category (tagged)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back