The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Mar 17, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #5,386 of 7,793
For those considering portable amplifiers for the X1, I'd like to suggest the Topping NX1, which I learned about from Triton333. It's tiny, powerful, supposedly lasts 100+ hours on a single charge, and can be bought brand-new for as little as $35 USD. It is also perfectly neutral, meaning it won't alter your music's sound.

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #5,387 of 7,793
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
For those considering portable amplifiers for the X1, I'd like to suggest the Topping NX1, which I learned about from Triton333. It's tiny, powerful, supposedly lasts 100+ hours on a single charge, and can be bought brand-new for as little as $35 USD. It is also perfectly neutral, meaning it won't alter your music's sound.

+ Yes :D

Mar 17, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #5,388 of 7,793

I use my NX1 almost every day and haven't charged it for over 3 weeks now. Still going strong!

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #5,390 of 7,793
Hey everyone! I'm new to these parts so please bare with me. I been browsing these threads for some time, finally became a member. Some time ago I was looking for a dedicated player and came across the sansa devices, picked a few up, rockboxed them and absolutely loved them. They were great for working out, riding bike, etc but I a bit to small for me. Eventually started using my phone and began streaming the majority of my music. Eventually I got sucked back in here and started looking for a dedicated player once again. I brought the sansa clips out of retirement and started using them again, started reading about amps and what not and noticed that many people paired up the clips with the fiio e6. I was curious to see if this made a difference in the way music sounded to me so I decided to pick one up. Not soon after ordering the e6 did I come across the X1 and just fell in love with the look, design, size of it. I also ordered one and received the 2 devices around the same time. Now for the whole point of this story I was wondering if the e6 pairs well with the x1 or is it really unnecessary as the x1 handles most headphones well? I also picked up a pair of m50x's as the price was to good not to. Sorry for rambling on but like I said I'm new to these parts and just looking for some advice. Love the site, thanks in advance!

for the m50x to deliver up to 115db (a value high enough to let you listen loudly to even the most dynamic music) you need about 40mw and 1.25v

the X1 goes to 1.5v and gives
Output Power: Over 100 mW (16Ω THD<1%)      
                      Over 65 mW (32Ω THD 1%)
 so it's safe to expect still more than 40mw into 38ohm.

all this to say you're clear on both parts. impedance in that headphone doesn't change much so we can rely on those specs @1khz pretty well. it means you will objectively never need more than the X1 for that headphone.

of course I'm only talking electricity here, subjectively some people may find pleasure with more... whatever.

I don't think a sansa is enough for driving this headphone well when listening loudly(it's 7.5mw into 32ohm, or so said nwavguy). it should still be fine for moderate volumes as you should reach around 105db peaks.

sorry if I take the fun out of audio a little.
wink_face.gif

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #5,391 of 7,793

for the m50x to deliver up to 115db (a value high enough to let you listen loudly to even the most dynamic music) you need about 40mw and 1.25v

the X1 goes to 1.5v and gives
Output Power: Over 100 mW (16Ω THD<1%)      
                      Over 65 mW (32Ω THD 1%)
 so it's safe to expect still more than 40mw into 38ohm.

all this to say you're clear on both parts. impedance in that headphone doesn't change much so we can rely on those specs @1khz pretty well. it means you will objectively never need more than the X1 for that headphone.

of course I'm only talking electricity here, subjectively some people may find pleasure with more... whatever.

I don't think a sansa is enough for driving this headphone well when listening loudly(it's 7.5mw into 32ohm, or so said nwavguy). it should still be fine for moderate volumes as you should reach around 105db peaks.

sorry if I take the fun out of audio a little.
wink_face.gif

Ha ha I have no idea what any of that means but sounds cool! It's actually very interesting to me that there is so much more behind it than just plugging in a pair of headphones and turning on some music. I understand what it all means after you break it down but still fun to hear. So from what I gather I will be better off using the E6 with the Sansa if I'm going to use the m50x and if I'm only using generic earbuds then the E6 isn't necessary?

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #5,392 of 7,793
Is the X1's built-in DAC disabled when using LO mode? What all is in use when an external amp/dac (I'm using the E07K) is connected to the X1 for LO? I'm used to just using HO on most devices without switching settings. 

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #5,393 of 7,793
  Ha ha I have no idea what any of that means but sounds cool! It's actually very interesting to me that there is so much more behind it than just plugging in a pair of headphones and turning on some music. I understand what it all means after you break it down but still fun to hear. So from what I gather I will be better off using the E6 with the Sansa if I'm going to use the m50x and if I'm only using generic earbuds then the E6 isn't necessary?

sadly it can become a case by case situation as I find the sansa to not sound amazing into really low impedance earphones(those going well below 16ohm it seems). but that's just subjective castleofargh speaking, I have no clue as to why I get that feeling.
but as a general idea, you're right. of course it doesn't cost much for you to just try it with your E6 and decide to use what you favor most ^_^.
  Is the X1's built-in DAC disabled when using LO mode? What all is in use when an external amp/dac (I'm using the E07K) is connected to the X1 for LO? I'm used to using HO on most devices.

the X1 only has analog output so no way to use an external DAC.

Mar 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #5,394 of 7,793
  sadly it can become a case by case situation as I find the sansa to not sound amazing into really low impedance earphones(those going well below 16ohm it seems). but that's just subjective castleofargh speaking, I have no clue as to why I get that feeling.
but as a general idea, you're right. of course it doesn't cost much for you to just try it with your E6 and decide to use what you favor most ^_^.
the X1 only has analog output so no way to use an external DAC.

Perfect! Thanks for your help and input. It is greatly appreciated! 

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #5,396 of 7,793
Is there any reason that FiiO could not change the 7 band equalizer in the X1 to the 10 band equalizer that is in the X3ii in a firmware update? I like my X1, but would like to be able to boost the 30 Hz region by 2 or 3 dB. I have no interest in boosting the 62 Hz region. Is FiiO just trying to make another difference between the X1 and X3ii to possibly drive people to the X3ii?

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #5,397 of 7,793

Yes I have the NX1 as well and find it is really good.

Mar 18, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #5,398 of 7,793
  Is there any reason that FiiO could not change the 7 band equalizer in the X1 to the 10 band equalizer that is in the X3ii in a firmware update? I like my X1, but would like to be able to boost the 30 Hz region by 2 or 3 dB. I have no interest in boosting the 62 Hz region. Is FiiO just trying to make another difference between the X1 and X3ii to possibly drive people to the X3ii?

It would be nice to know when things are different because they can't be changed rather than because a choice has been made such as to differentiate between products.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #5,400 of 7,793
please have a look at this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739521/fiio-x1-firmware-version-1-10-download-and-discussion-thread/90#post_11071595

now i want this theme at the new released fw 1.3 - but it´s always downgrading back to 1.1...

any suggestions?

thx in adv

btw:
me driving a akg k240 sextett and an old dt990 with a zigi´s cmoy on the fiio x1 - i guess i don´t need anymore else to get a "good"  sound   :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back