The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Mar 18, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #5,401 of 7,793
please have a look at this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/739521/fiio-x1-firmware-version-1-10-download-and-discussion-thread/90#post_11071595

now i want this theme at the new released fw 1.3 - but it´s always downgrading back to 1.1...

any suggestions?

thx in adv

You need to ask the original modder to update it to the newer FW - or download the FW unpacking tool, unpack FW 1.3, and replace the system folder(s) in the custom theme with the new FW system folders(s), then repack the FW.

Mar 18, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #5,403 of 7,793
Mar 18, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #5,404 of 7,793
  Is there any reason that FiiO could not change the 7 band equalizer in the X1 to the 10 band equalizer that is in the X3ii in a firmware update? I like my X1, but would like to be able to boost the 30 Hz region by 2 or 3 dB. I have no interest in boosting the 62 Hz region. Is FiiO just trying to make another difference between the X1 and X3ii to possibly drive people to the X3ii?

Without looking into it much, it's possible that the X1 could lack the processing power to handle the additional EQ bands.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:01 AM Post #5,405 of 7,793
  Do people use their amplifiers with the X1 in Line out mode or normal mode with EQ on?

I use mine with line out mode, though I can't speak to using the EQ with it. I have yet to turn my EQ on. I would assume though, that you could use it with line out mode and EQ at the same time.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #5,406 of 7,793
I use mine with line out mode, though I can't speak to using the EQ with it. I have yet to turn my EQ on. I would assume though, that you could use it with line out mode and EQ at the same time.

Apparently EQ doesn't work with LO.

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #5,408 of 7,793
if you guys want to use the EQ with an amp it's not so much of a sound quality difference to use the headphone out into the amp with the volume set relatively loud. the measurements should still be quite good with this little guy.
the idea of the line out being clean of any DSP is to keep the maximum transparency to the signal. that's for people obsessed with not changing the original sound and a very audiophile like choice for fiio. on the other hand my sony is clearly consumer oriented and you can use the EQ or anything really while using the LO. in fact sony doesn't even care if you end up clipping your signal(and you indeed can under some circumstances), it lets you do it ^_^. 
FIIO we want the freedom to do wrong!!!
tongue.gif
(oh and plz don't listen to me!)

Mar 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #5,409 of 7,793
if you guys want to use the EQ with an amp it's not so much of a sound quality difference to use the headphone out into the amp with the volume set relatively loud. the measurements should still be quite good with this little guy.
the idea of the line out being clean of any DSP is to keep the maximum transparency to the signal. that's for people obsessed with not changing the original sound and a very audiophile like choice for fiio. on the other hand my sony is clearly consumer oriented and you can use the EQ or anything really while using the LO. in fact sony doesn't even care if you end up clipping your signal(and you indeed can under some circumstances), it lets you do it ^_^. 
FIIO we want the freedom to do wrong!!! :p (oh and plz don't listen to me!)
:D

Mar 18, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #5,410 of 7,793
So now knowing that the E6 with the X1 isn't necessary will the NX1 make a noticeable difference?

It makes a huge difference in the overall clarity, instrumental separation, and sound stage in my opinion. I also feel like there's improved punchiness to kick drums and toms; and far more "snap" or attack to snares, etc.

The changes are refinements more than anything. The NX1 makes the X1 into a better-sounding X1 but won't transform it into a DX90.

Do people use their amplifiers with the X1 in Line out mode or normal mode with EQ on?

I always use my line out, personally.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #5,412 of 7,793
It makes a huge difference in the overall clarity, instrumental separation, and sound stage in my opinion. I also feel like there's improved punchiness to kick drums and toms; and far more "snap" or attack to snares, etc.

The changes are refinements more than anything. The NX1 makes the X1 into a better-sounding X1 but won't transform it into a DX90.

Awesome! Thanks for the input. Maybe I can sell the E6 and pick up the NX1 since they are similarly priced. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #5,413 of 7,793
If you need the extra power, why not just get an X3, rather than have more units to carry around and cables?

(Y)

+1 => X3K

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #5,414 of 7,793
  If you need the extra power, why not just get an X3, rather than have more units to carry around and cables?

Because we wanted the cheaper X1 and then add a cheap amp sometime afterwards. Personally I don't use the amp that often as I like the sound from the X1 anyway.

I'm not an audiophile so didn't really know how an amp would affect the sound so didn't want to pay out 100s just to check it out.

For me the difference is too subtle to spend more than £50 on.

Mar 18, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #5,415 of 7,793
This was probably asked and answered before but at over 300 pages I cant find it. When comparing X1 to X3 or X5, what is it that the X1 does NOT have that really matters? Is it more about the internal guts being improved, or is it just things like the added slots and outputs etc. Wondering what those few extra hundred dollars really get you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back