The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Sep 13, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #181 of 567

Strangely enough even though I felt I got a very good seal and fit ( was quite uncomfortable mind) I didn't think they isolated that well with the triple flanges, I was hoping to use them at work to block out the sound of droning machines and waffling work colleages. Oh well, tis fun to try out so many different iem's, its such a personal thing finding something that suits in the end. 
Quote:
Funny this 'deep fit' thing, isn't it?  Personally, I love the triple flanges and the really snug secure fit of ramming them into my brain - I can walk in them and turn my head any which way but loose and the sound remains exactly the same. Plus, they block out all the noise from stupid people.  But I can see how some might find that deep entry stuff a bit of a chore.

As for the sound, well again thats personal preference. Coming from the SM3s, the narrower soundstage is fefinitely noticeable, but I soon got readjusted and now I love that sense of intimacy the HF5s offer.  Its nowehere near as wiiide as that "Oh hang on, I'll just get a bus over to where that cymbal is crashing so I can see if its any good" presentation of the Earsonics, or even some other iems I've tried, but thats all part of its charm, I think.

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #182 of 567
The only tip i can use with any iem is the triple flange one since it is the only one that stay in my ears.  
the isolation is ok but i can still hear street noises when the music is turned down...but most of the time when music is playing in medium level i can't hear a single thing.
I also found the triple flange very comfortable and it takes me second to insert it in my ear.

I never had a problem with comfort...in order to get good sound i would be even willing to insert a sharp Nail into my ears
bigsmile_face.gif
 and the HF5 definitely deliver in the sound department.

yesterday i had an excellent session with  the ety's and my headroom rig (see sig).  i can't beleive how flat and balanced they sound.  every frequency just sound so right to me.
I wonder how much better the sound get's from the hf5 to the ER series.

Sep 13, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #183 of 567
My experience and that of some others is that there is very little difference between the HF5 and ER4P in terms of sound.  To use the ER4S on the move, you need an amp anyway, and although they are more refined than the P, its personal preference and wallet that will dictate whether it's worth it.

Quote:
I wonder how much better the sound get's from the hf5 to the ER series.

Sep 21, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #185 of 567
Ok, so i've been playing around with the EQ settings on my Cowon J3 with the HF5s, and hit upon a combination that really maxes and opens up the sound beautifully to my ears:

All bands flat
BBE+ : 8
mach 3 Bass: 3
MP enhance: ON

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #186 of 567
Well...I´m back with Etymotic HF2.
The S4i sounded too boomy. Very bad instrument separation. Sometimes i had problems to hear the lyrics of the songs.
At first i really liked the bass impact of the s4i, but after a while I found myself longing for the clear sound of my old Etys. So...here I am again.
Loving every moment with my new HF2:s.
Ahhh...

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #188 of 567

Never tried the PL50, but the IE7s weren't for me - nice comfort and fit, and wide soundstage, but just not enough clarity in the mids for my liking.

To be fair though, I got the un-accessoried package from Play.com so didn't have them in my ears long enough to give them much time - sent them back for a refund as quickly as I could.....

If you're condsidering the HF5s, what concerns do you have?
Quote:
Hi!

How does the HF5 compare to IE7 or PL50?

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #189 of 567

Quote:
Never tried the PL50, but the IE7s weren't for me - nice comfort and fit, and wide soundstage, but just not enough clarity in the mids for my liking.
If you're condsidering the HF5s, what concerns do you have?

Thank you for the reply.
I have the IE6 and your description of the IE7 is consistent with my set. I like to try a different sounding IEM.
Can we say that the Ety HF5 is a poor man's SM3?  

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #190 of 567
After reading a few threads and plenty of mind changes, I've finally ordered the HF5s because of a lot of positive comments and favourable comparisons to the ER4, price and understated but sleek looks. 

Just coming off the ortofon eq7s (had them returned because it went pop in less than 3 months use), and having never tried triple flanges before, I don't know what to expect, but I'm certainly waiting in eager anticipation!

Oct 22, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #191 of 567
You can say that, but you'd be way wrong.  The HF5 and the SM3 have virtually nothing in common.

Quote:

Thank you for the reply.
I have the IE6 and your description of the IE7 is consistent with my set. I like to try a different sounding IEM.
Can we say that the Ety HF5 is a poor man's SM3?  

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #193 of 567
I have been listening to the hf5 for a day now and have some initial impressions.  I am quite impressed with the sound which was very clear as most described.  I found that it needs the foam tips to get the best sound and isolation.  The triple flange sounded too thin and lacking body.  The problem is that the foams that come with the hf5 feel rough and uncomfortable.  My next step is buying some of the black shure foams which have been mentioned several times in this thread.  Are there any other tips/sleeves that people think are comfortable and provide a good seal.  I do know eytmotic offers custom tips which cost around $100 but I am not ready for that large of an investment just yet.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Nov 5, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #194 of 567
Shure black foams work very well with the hf5 and yeah, the ety grey foams are not the best out there. If you're not too bothered about the dangerous levels of isolation I used klipsch gel tips on my hf5 for most of their time. Also if you don't like the tri-flanges try cutting the smallest one off. Enjoy them, they are very good phones.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #195 of 567
I always found that ety foams provide the best sq out of the HF5 (vs other foam), but are not very comfortable. Never did try shure black, though. My HF5s broke for the second time earlier this year and I gave up on them. (I have a project in mind for them, if I every have free time.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back