The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Dec 26, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #212 of 567
^ Won't the Klipsch tips be too big to stay on the HF5 nozzle?  I'm trying to remember the size of the S4, and seems like it would be too big, but I may be wrong.

Dec 26, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #213 of 567
klipsch oval tips are narrow as they are for the X series. Of course the S klipsch tips are too wide but the oval tips are different. Haven't tried it myself thought but they should do okay as I think I remember Anaxilus stating using them on the MC5s. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #216 of 567

Quote:
So I've had these puppies for almost a week now.  I had never tried Etymotics before, and they are the most $$$ I've ever spend on ear/headphones, being a non-audiophile.  At first, both sizes of tri-flanges made my left ear canal HURT like a MOTHER!!!!  (However, they fit very comfortably in the right.  I must have some asymmetrical ear canals...)   While I found Comply tips and the Ety foams to be much more comfortable, I am DEFINITELY not willing to pay to continually replace them every few weeks.   I absolutely LOVE they way these phones sound, yet the pain in my left ear was just too much.  I had almost resigned to return/exchange them at headroom....that is until a couple days ago.  It's almost like my ear canal adjusted to the small tri-flanges overnight, and now I have no trouble keeping them in my ear canals for extended periods of time.  SO HAPPY 
etysmile.gif
       Has anyone else experienced this sort of adaptation to uncomfortable IEMs before?  Is this unusual?

Also, on a side note, I'm wondering if anybody can testify to the longevity of the Glider tips.  Despite their ugliness, I find them very comfortable and like the subtle way they alter the sound.  I could see myself using them for certain types of music.  However, if they need to be replaced anywhere near as often as foams, I'm not even going to bother.  Thanks for any response. 

I have been using 1 pair of comply tips for the past 2 months and they're still very useable.  I only recently soaked them in hydrogen peroxide to clean them and they're almost as good as new, maybe just a bit stiffer.  My ears are relatively clean though, I cotton swab them several times a week.  Another benefit to using the comply foams is that they have a built in filter so that you won't ever need to replace the etymotic filters, that'll save you a few bucks to get an extra 3 pack of foam tips.  I mean, if you like the headphones but really can't stand the triple flanges, there isn't much else you can do other than foam tips.
As I said before, I have never tried or even seen the glider tips in person but have heard bad things both about both the sound and the durability...

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #218 of 567

Quote:
So I've had these puppies for almost a week now.  I had never tried Etymotics before, and they are the most $$$ I've ever spend on ear/headphones, being a non-audiophile.  At first, both sizes of tri-flanges made my left ear canal HURT like a MOTHER!!!!  (However, they fit very comfortably in the right.  I must have some asymmetrical ear canals...)   While I found Comply tips and the Ety foams to be much more comfortable, I am DEFINITELY not willing to pay to continually replace them every few weeks.   I absolutely LOVE they way these phones sound, yet the pain in my left ear was just too much.  I had almost resigned to return/exchange them at headroom....that is until a couple days ago.  It's almost like my ear canal adjusted to the small tri-flanges overnight, and now I have no trouble keeping them in my ear canals for extended periods of time.  SO HAPPY 
etysmile.gif
       Has anyone else experienced this sort of adaptation to uncomfortable IEMs before?  Is this unusual?

In general, continued use of your silicone tips exposes them to wax and oils.  Over time they become more supple and conform better as they get seasoned.  IME.  I had a solution for your Etys but you seem fine now so enjoy!

Edit-I see the cat's out of the bag already.  
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #220 of 567
I haven't heard the RE-Zero but HF5 is very different from the triple.fi! The triple.fi has great bass slam/impact and really sparkly treble; it's often described as a V-shaped frequency, some people say with recessed mids. The HF5 (of HF2) does less emphasizing of either highs, mids or bass. Lots of people call it bass light, but I really don't think so as long as you have a good seal, which is pretty easy to get with the etymotic brand because of how deep they insert. The HF5 go in deeper and have really good noise isolation. I loved the triple.fi for Radiohead or stuff like that; the HF5 I really enjoy for classical, jazz, world, but it does a surprisingly good job at rock, even though it doesn't have that same bass slam. I've heard details on In Rainbow I had never heard before. The only thing I'm dissatisfied with the HF5 is that it can take a while to find a comfortable tip (for some people); the Klipsch double flange gels work like a charm. It also has a smaller soundstage, which I find it can compensate for with its really engaging detail.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #221 of 567
In that case would you call it a good complement to the TF10 then? I'm wondering if the HF2s will sound similar to my RE-ZERO now. Relative to the TF10 they are more forward and maybe slightly more detailed, but are lacking the bass (in terms of impact and quantity) and wide soundstage which I enjoy on my TF10 now. Curious, curious. 

Quote:
I haven't heard the RE-Zero but HF5 is very different from the triple.fi! The triple.fi has great bass slam/impact and really sparkly treble; it's often described as a V-shaped frequency, some people say with recessed mids. The HF5 (of HF2) does less emphasizing of either highs, mids or bass. Lots of people call it bass light, but I really don't think so as long as you have a good seal, which is pretty easy to get with the etymotic brand because of how deep they insert. The HF5 go in deeper and have really good noise isolation. I loved the triple.fi for Radiohead or stuff like that; the HF5 I really enjoy for classical, jazz, world, but it does a surprisingly good job at rock, even though it doesn't have that same bass slam. I've heard details on In Rainbow I had never heard before. The only thing I'm dissatisfied with the HF5 is that it can take a while to find a comfortable tip (for some people); the Klipsch double flange gels work like a charm. It also has a smaller soundstage, which I find it can compensate for with its really engaging detail.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #222 of 567
I also previously owned the TF10 with Lune Cable. I have HF5 coming on the 5th so I am looking forward to doing some comparison. Right now I am using IE8 with tip extenders, which I found to enormously increase the SQ of IE8 and also reduce the quantity of the bass on par with how much TF10 have. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #223 of 567
Quote:
In that case would you call it a good complement to the TF10 then? I'm wondering if the HF2s will sound similar to my RE-ZERO now. Relative to the TF10 they are more forward and maybe slightly more detailed, but are lacking the bass (in terms of impact and quantity) and wide soundstage which I enjoy on my TF10 now. Curious, curious. 

From my experience, the hf5 cannot compare to the TF10 in any category except maybe isolation. TF10s are shallow insertion, while the etys are obviously deep with the triple flange.

The multiple drivers in the TF10 make every part of the spectrum more clear, and allow for more bass impact. The hf5 are fine, but the single drivers get bogged down in reproducing the entire spectrum, and clarity is lost. If you like the cold, antiseptic sound (most people would call this neutral haha), then sure, go for the Etymotics. But if you prefer that sound signature, you have better options. The Etymotics are really good at reproducing mids however, even better than the TF10s. Vocals are very nice. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #224 of 567
In my experience, I would not say that the HF5 get bogged down reproducing the entire spectrum. There are times I'm very impressed with mids, highs and lows, all in the same song. I really wouldn't consider it antiseptic either. To me, the HF5 is very faithful to the source material and reflects it very well! But again, taste matters a ton; I really enjoyed the triple.fi, too! The only reason I'm selling the HF5 is because I'm pursuing a ER4P.

Quote:
Quote:

From my experience, the hf5 cannot compare to the TF10 in any category except maybe isolation. TF10s are shallow insertion, while the etys are obviously deep with the triple flange.

The multiple drivers in the TF10 make every part of the spectrum more clear, and allow for more bass impact. The hf5 are fine, but the single drivers get bogged down in reproducing the entire spectrum, and clarity is lost. If you like the cold, antiseptic sound (most people would call this neutral haha), then sure, go for the Etymotics. But if you prefer that sound signature, you have better options. The Etymotics are really good at reproducing mids however, even better than the TF10s. Vocals are very nice. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #225 of 567
hey imackler, how does your HF5 compare w/ IE8's? Bass/soundstage are obvious, but what about mids/highs/clarity in general? I know IE8's are slightly warm and HF5 are a bit on the cold side. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back