The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Nov 6, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #197 of 567
I've had the HF5s for about 6 months now, and I just got a pair of ER4Ss a few days ago. Using a mini3 amp, and iPod 5.5G, cf modded with Rockbox, q-0.8 OGG music files. EQ off, crossfeed on with default settings. Used a 100 ohm adapter with the HF5s for most of the time I had them.

The extra resistance really helps the HF5s come alive. Just plain better all around, so I'm not going to bother with unamped and non-added resistance comparisons. Anyone with HF5s and an amp should consider getting one. I had a 75 ohm adapter too, but the 100 ohm sounds noticeably better. $10, from ebay. Well worth it.

With that in mind, the HF5s and ER4Ss are pretty close in terms of sound quality, but the ER4S wins. They have just ever so slightly less bass quantity and a slight bit more of that Ety "detail retrieval." I like them better, but that's just me. Maybe I'm just into really detailed sound like that. If the ER4S are top-tier, the HF5s with added resistance certainly are too.

ER4S has way better build quality, but much worse microphonics. The shirt clip helps out alot with that though. The HF5 housing is just flawed by design. Mine came apart at the seam, but some krazy glue helped put them back together. Now I've got a good set of beaters/backups, maybe even a good candidate for some customs.

For the budget constrained, the HF5s are a great choice. They really do need added resistance to compete with the ER4S, but once they have it, they're 95% or so as good (just my estimate). I'll try the ER4S with the 100 ohm resistance adapter eventually.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone who cares. And no, I haven't heard the MC5, or whatever the dynamic Etys are called. I've got enough IEMs already. For now...

Nov 8, 2010 at 7:55 AM Post #200 of 567

Quote:
seems like quite a few had their hf5s broken. how did it break? Is there any prevention measures?

My first set were stolen does that count? Anyways, the cable on them is not bad, but like all earphones it will fray at some point, depending on how well you look after them. As for the drivers they have the same problems as many others. Etymotic's customer service is as good as any others out there so just buy from an authorised dealer and you're protected for at least two years now. Keeping them in a case when you're not using them may sound obvious but tends to help a lot.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #202 of 567
It's shocking that the media - even Murdoch's tabloids - have utterly ignored the terrifying hf5/nasal-foliage connection.  Clearly a cover-up at the highest levels.

Luckily the hf2 not only does not cause excess nose hair, but is actually a few pounds cheaper than the hf5 right now, which makes it a crazy-good deal.  Go for that one.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #203 of 567

Quote:
seems like quite a few had their hf5s broken. how did it break? Is there any prevention measures?

The earliest models of hf2 and hf5 had a straight plug with poor strain relief and were noticeably prone to having some of the internal conductors break at the plug end.  Etymotic has had a new angled plug design with better strain relief for a year or more that fixes this.  And their warranty service is quite good, in my experience.  I would buy without fear.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #204 of 567
Joining the HF5 appreciation crowd.  They are exactly what I'm looking for, sound-wise.  Just a touch of bottom end EQ on my Rockbox Fuze and they sound perfect.

My used pair came with a reddish colored Comply foam set, which I like way better than either the larger or smaller tri-tips.  The tri-tips are too location/position sensitive.  With the foam tips, I pinch them at the tip, stick them in and they are nearly 100% of the time perfectly balanced L/R.  Just ordered some of the black Shure foam "olives" that will last me a good long time.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #206 of 567
Hey guys I just ordered a pair of HF5's for the simple fact they isolate well, I was wondering what the best tip will isolate the best without sacrificing much sound quality. I have heard good things about the glider tips. How do those isolate compare to the stock foam, triple flages, or even Shure Olives? 

Dec 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #207 of 567
Actually, my HF5's have a straight plug and they've been fine for well over a year now.  My friend's er6i has an angled plug which recently broke.  It still works alright but the strain relief sort of fell off.  If you keep your headphones in the supplied pouch and don't wrap it around your mp3 player they'll last for a long time.
As for the tips, I don't think any will give you better isolation than the triple flanges.  After that are probably foam tips.  Mine didn't come with glider tips so I can't comment on them.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #208 of 567
Dec 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #209 of 567
Yeah, just use the excellent Ety silicone triple flanges and forget anything involving foam of any description, be it the evil person Comply or the penis-shaped gliders.  Foam is a sponge and what does a sponge do? Yah, that's right....it sucks.

Dec 26, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #210 of 567
So I've had these puppies for almost a week now.  I had never tried Etymotics before, and they are the most $$$ I've ever spend on ear/headphones, being a non-audiophile.  At first, both sizes of tri-flanges made my left ear canal HURT like a MOTHER!!!!  (However, they fit very comfortably in the right.  I must have some asymmetrical ear canals...)   While I found Comply tips and the Ety foams to be much more comfortable, I am DEFINITELY not willing to pay to continually replace them every few weeks.   I absolutely LOVE they way these phones sound, yet the pain in my left ear was just too much.  I had almost resigned to return/exchange them at headroom....that is until a couple days ago.  It's almost like my ear canal adjusted to the small tri-flanges overnight, and now I have no trouble keeping them in my ear canals for extended periods of time.  SO HAPPY 
etysmile.gif
       Has anyone else experienced this sort of adaptation to uncomfortable IEMs before?  Is this unusual?

Also, on a side note, I'm wondering if anybody can testify to the longevity of the Glider tips.  Despite their ugliness, I find them very comfortable and like the subtle way they alter the sound.  I could see myself using them for certain types of music.  However, if they need to be replaced anywhere near as often as foams, I'm not even going to bother.  Thanks for any response. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back